1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coastie

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Coastie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coastie

Greetings to all. I have an 06 Cooper S with auto trans. I'd like to know what is a safe rpm to reach when starting off without straining the engin. I have 2000 mi. on the car. It seems that when i hit 4500 the car is telling me enough already. Thanks for any advice.:impatient

Old 09-01-2006, 03:42 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Well, the manual trans S loves to run to redline, 6750-6950 depending on the model with No problem. Same engine, same valves, so I think its telling you More, More, not enough, enough! Its a strong engine, made to run at high revs. Some of the folks on this board have 02's and 03's and regularly run them to redline and their engines are fine. Now that's running it to the line and shifting right away, not sustained revs but I'll let the rest weigh in. The caveat is: I don't know what sounds your engine is actually making. Ugly, unharmonious sounds may be signs of trouble. If you know someone with an S, it may be prudent to let them listen to it but with 2000 miles, its most likely fine.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Coastie
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply MiniMax. The engin sounds fine.I guess im being too cautious. Love the Mini, don't want to hurt it.---Jim

Old 09-02-2006, 02:49 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, Jim! Are you using the sport-mode, yet? If not, try that and see how your MCSa responds. You shouldn't have any issues at 4500 rpms. The MINI likes to roar!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Coastie
1st Gear
Thanks for the info miniclo. Brought the engine up to 5000 rpm's with no problem. I'll try the sport mode today. I thought i was going to blow the engine one day when i accidently pushed the paddle down to first gear when i was doing about 40mph. It really raced. I did'nt think it would go into any gear shouldnt be in. Jim

Old 09-04-2006, 01:21 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
^^^ My friend's A3 with the shift paddle won't go into a gear that will mechanically damage the box, and I imagine that your MINI has the same safety feature. When you accidentally down shifted to 1st, did you happen to catch a glimpse of what the tach went up to (amidst your heart failure)?

If it didn't redline, I'd be impressed, but in the end it probably 1) didn't redline or 2) you weren't exactly at 40mph at the time. In anycase, glad your MINI is ok!

-

Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
While I see you don't post here often, could you please try using a descriptive subject when you start a thread... Something other than your username...

Besides being appreciated by many, you'll have a better chance of getting a response... and you'll get that response quicker...

Old 09-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Coastie
1st Gear
Airborne

Thanks for the reply Powerband. I pushed that paddle back so fast that i did'nt notice the rpms. All i now is that they were way up there. Like you said, no problem tho. Jim