1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you choose your color?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:46 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know TFQON counts!

Well, pink stripes were only going to look good on PW or JB, so I made a bunch of little 3-D paper MINIs with various graphics. JB looked the best, and once I settled on my shade of pink.... WOW! THAT'S the right color for my MINI! No regrets. Sure, it's always dirty, but I don't care.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mizer
I picked solid PW/PW because white is the easiest to keep clean, its cooler in the heat than darker colors, (especially having a white roof) and anything goes with white. I can pick any color stripes/wheels and it will go with white. Also because my roof is the same as the body color i do not have to get inverted roof stripes.

wish I had thought about that... regretting that I didn't get ds/ds but, guess it doesn't really matter because the sunroof is black. oh well, my roof will be stripeless. would it look stupid to have viper stripes on the hood an boot and not the roof?? hmm

Old 09-05-2006, 02:57 PM
crazypoet
2nd Gear
My old truck was black...

And while the truck was handy, and a real trooper when I needed to haul stuff, I swore to all the gods that I would never again own a black vehicle...

Here in Atlanta, we have a combination of heat and pollen and pollution and dirt that combine to make any black vehicle both constantly dirty-looking and miserably hot.

That experience turned me against all of the darker colors - too hot and too hard to keep clean.

Red, yellow and blue look too much like jellybeans to my poor jaded eyes...

This left me pretty much with Silver and White - and silver oxidizes and looks hideous in a year or two. And pepper white is just so, well, elegant...

So,

White it is!

Old 09-05-2006, 04:42 PM
ssallykat
5th Gear
I have had a photo of a black classic Mini hanging in my house for many years. Have loved Minis for a long time...

When the New MINI came out, I always configured it as a black car, first Cosmos Black, then Jet black (which I have now), and finally Astro black for the JCW MCS that is in production now.

If Jet black would have still been available, I would have stuck with it, but I think I will learn to love Mia2 in Astro black.

Plus, its the perfect color for the MINI hearse costume I put on the car for Halloween!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, to answer the topic.... I loved pepper white as I thought it was a very classy and grand look to the mini. the brg/brg which i purchased looked terrible on the lot. I realized that they were dirty and unloved. When I went on NAM i noticed how amazing brg can look when properly owned! I felt it looked even more snobby than pepper white. I wanted to go max snobby/old look so I did BRG/BRG MCS with chromeline exterior. non chromeline on an S looks much more modern.

If I get cash one day, I will get a PW/PW vintage mini as I just think they look cute.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 PM
jason430
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wikedgolf
i have astro black becuse they took Jet black off the menu and AB was the next blackest thing.

I love black!
Same here

Old 09-28-2006, 04:21 PM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
Mine chose me.

Or at least thats how it feels, I drove to the dealers to look at an Electric Blue 'S' Auto, which is what I had decided would make a decent commuter car. Actually i had settled on trying to find a used Cooper CVT......

Sitting next to it was a fantastic looking Hyper-Blue 'S' 6-spd.

I drove the E-B one first, then the HB one, and it really won me over to the idea of continuing to commute in a manual I crawled all over it and apart from a couple of small scratches and a lightly kerbs alloy it was perfect.

I think that the 45 minutes that it then took to arrange the deal and wait for them to wash it (badly) where some of the longest of my life.

I have absolutely no regrets, I absolutely love the Hyper-Blue and the 6spd is fantastic for commuting too

Coincidentally my first Mini was also a blue one - back in 1982

Old 09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
H.A.W.G.
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always wanted black/ white, then I saw one that was Pure Silver/ white, and loved it, but it only comes with the MCS and I cant afford that so I stuck with Black/white

Old 09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
Started with the roof....

I drove a conterfeit MINI for a long time
I had a UJ flag in my blue '94 t-bird (don't laugh- oh, OK laugh)
I've always been into UK culture since I can remember so
having a UJ roof was my main priority. After that, I just
chose what color I thought would look best with the flag.
No regrets here

Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Bugs
4th Gear
I went hunting for a MCS with 17's sunroof and 6speed manual. Colour was irrelevant to be honest. MINI doesnt make a colour i dislike.

That said, im counting the days till i can paint my CR/B -> all black

Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 PM
davavd
6th Gear
I ordered mine BRG, partly because it seemed a proper color for a british car (even if it isn't the REAL BRG), and partly because I always loved the colors of the first car I remember, my parents metallic green 1949 Pontiac convertible with red leather interior. Also, I had driven a white car for a couple of years and a red one before that, so I needed a change. Stripes had to be black, because if green had not been available, black was my next choice, besides I was REALLY tired of white. Next time, maybe I'll try black with those beautiful frost stripes.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 PM
JDPepper
2nd Gear
Pw/b

Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I wanted Silk Green.

Discontinued.

I wanted Solid Gold.

Discontinued.

So I said to hell with it and got Pepper White, thinking it looked "sophisticated" and that I could maybe have it painted Silk Green in the future

I'm glad they discontinued those colors, because I may have ended up with one of them. Mini's should be cheeky colors, not steely German metallics. The yellow isn't a good yellow. CR is perfect, but I'm not a red car guy. They don't have tangerine with a pepper white roof ('creamsicle' ). I ended up with the PW/B 'cause it's classic and classy. The octagon red seats really set if off too.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 AM
findude
4th Gear
We don't like metallic paint, so that left us with PW or CR since they dropped LY for the MCS shortly before we ordered. We've already had two red cars, and we like the understated appearance of the PW/B. Also, the $450 savings just about covered the cost of the LSD so we stayed under our maximum dollar figure.

Now if MINI offered a real BRG (no, it's not metallic), we probably would have done that.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ssallykat
I have had a photo of a black classic Mini hanging in my house for many years. Have loved Minis for a long time...

When the New MINI came out, I always configured it as a black car, first Cosmos Black, then Jet black (which I have now), and finally Astro black for the JCW MCS that is in production now.

If Jet black would have still been available, I would have stuck with it, but I think I will learn to love Mia2 in Astro black.

Plus, its the perfect color for the MINI hearse costume I put on the car for Halloween!
Hearse costume!!???
Please post a pic.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 AM
HHFD633
4th Gear
i chose a color that they did charge me extra for.. hell if i am gonna pay extra for a color

Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 AM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Love at first site

Old 09-29-2006, 08:38 AM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
I figured that the most important parts of a car is 1. crash safety and 2. how it looks. rest is gravey. You dont want to drive an ugly car or one that you know youll die in. So, colour is really important. 450 more is nothing.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 AM
terryg
4th Gear
We picked our first one based on interior colors. The instant my wife and I saw the cordoba interior, we both pointed and said "that one!". My wife wanted PW/B, but the beige leather in a CR/B just looks so right, and reminded us both of classic Lamborghini or Ferrari color combinations.

She demanded that that one stay pristine, so I bought another one to modify. I got it bare-bones, HB/W with cloth seats, no sunroof, and lots of room to add stuff :-)

Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Picked my CR MC from the "build your own" tool on the website. Like others have said, love at first site (website, in my case). Loved it when we took the first test drive also.

My fiance picked out the Pepper White when she saw one in the showroom. Wanted Purple Haze when viewing the colors on the website but once she saw the PW with Checkmate, she was a goner. Good choice she made, IMO.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:25 AM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
If PW was available in checkmate, that then would be something to contend with.

that would look hot.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:32 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by El_Jefe
If PW was available in checkmate, that then would be something to contend with.

that would look hot.
What makes you think you can't get the Checkmate package with PW ??

Old 09-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
you can, i saw one in the show room at my dealer while i was ordering mine.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Take a look at my Gallery if you want to see one !

Old 09-29-2006, 09:49 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
I liked silk green , electric blue, indie blue, hyper blue, CR and dark silver. EB was my first choice. Discontinued x 3. So... I started to order a HB/B, but ordered CR/B, then changed my order to DS/B the next day. Now I am thinking I should have gone DS/DS with JCW. ::smacking self on head::: what was I thinking? my DS/B MCS is still sitting in the body shop, waiting to come to her mama who will love her just the same. But, I think I will be voiding that warrenty with some after market mods!
I also belong to the DS/B club. I decided by looking at that color combination, immediately recognizing it as the best, and ordering.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:40 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I chose Chili Red/Black because 1. it looks great clean and dirty, 2. it's high visibility, 3. I could color-coordinate the interior, 4. It didn't cost one cent extra, and 5. I had a buddy in high school whose brother handed down to him a 1966 Austin Mini Cooper S that was yes Red with Black top and stripes. That little car's been stuck in my memory now for over 30 years.

My other choice was Indi Blue/Black (IB was to me worth the extra $$) but was discontinued by the time I ordered my car in June 04.

Quick Reply: How did you choose your color?