1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire ignorant... run flat advice answers, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire ignorant... run flat advice answers, advice?

I'm sure this has been talked about elsewhere and I've read some in the tire forums, but I'm looking for some simple answers...

I'm considering changing my order from an MC to an MCS, but the whole run-flat, non-spare scenario scares me. The run-flats, from what I've read, sound worthless, don't last long and are expensive to replace. It makes me just want to stick to the MC for the regular 15'' tires.

What's the deal with the run flat tires? Do people often just run them out and then replace with regular tires? If so, there's no spare, so what do you do then?

Old 09-07-2006, 07:32 PM
bohunk
2nd Gear
The runflats are rough riding. I replaced mine with regulars and carry a can of fix-a-flat. I drove my previous car 160k miles and never had a flat, so I guess I feel confident. I also carry towing insurance, which is quite cheap. I don't own a cell-phone though, maybe I should rethink that?

If you are happy with the MC, get it!

Old 09-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the run-flat's wear out, replace them with "normal" tires, and get this...

http://new.minimania.com/web/SUBTYPE..._Inventory.cfm

Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Or, just get the same thing at K-mart for about $30 [Slime and a compressor].

Old 09-08-2006, 05:17 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
The runflats get bashed more than they deserve. Yes, the ride is harsher, but they aren't that bad. I will keep mine until they need replacing. For daily commuting with non runflats, you can probably get away without a spare as long as you have either slime or a tire repair kit on board (and a compressor). Even with runflats, I would not go on a trip without a spare. I picked up two extra runflats to use as spares. I bought a pair of tire covers and would cover the tire and stick it either behind one of the seats or in the boot on a trip.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:06 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
There is nothing wrong with runflats (I speak of the performance runflats not the all-season runflats). They ride a bit rough for some people's tastes. I had the Pirelli's & they were great. I ditched them & went to regular tires but as soon as my regular tires wear out I am seriously thinking about going back to runflats. To me runflats feel more secure in the twisties plus you have the added security of knowing you won't likely have a blow-out when travelling on the interstate

I find it odd that you would consider getting an MC over an MCS just based on tires, one of the most non-permanent parts on the car

Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
well, I think his reservations have to do with the fact that there is just no place to put a spare in a MCS, whereas there is in a MC. I'm quite happy with the performance of the Pirelli Runflats, they stick really well IMO. The sidewalls are stiff, but I LIKE stiff sidewalls, means good steering response and handling at the expense of ride quality (a little, the stiff suspension has a lot to do with that as well). Only real drawback, they are EXPENSIVE, but its worth it for the good performance and confidence that the car will remain mobile in case of a flat. I also can't ever think of putting slime in my tires, at least with the runflats, you can get them patched and have hope that the tire is still worth something to you, rather than basically ruining the tire and getting that stuff all over your wheels and weighing down the tire. . .

Old 09-08-2006, 08:31 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I find it odd that you would consider getting an MC over an MCS just based on tires, one of the most non-permanent parts on the car

I agree... i think it's very odd that my decision would come down to tires, but i just can't wrap my head around NOT having a spare tire in a car. That just seems odd.

Why is there no space for a spare on the MCS?

I mean, what if you just bought the car and then drove out of the dealer and accidentally hit a pot hole or somehow punctured a tire. If the tire needed to be replaced, the warranty would not cover that and you'd be out whatever a new run-flat costs ($200?).

My issue is that I won't have a lot of extra $$$ to pour into a new car... I will be paying the note!

Do most people take a spare on long trips?

If you replace the run-flats... will the 16'' rims go on regular tires?

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Most places won't plug/patch a runflat.

I carry the slime kit in my car. I think I paid $25 dollars at an auto parts store. And know I have mini compresser for other uses. I've used it on Bikes and Motorcycles as well. I just stick it under my seat.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
I think if you hit a pothole hard enough to blow your tire, your wheel probably got dinged also.

A run flat, with a normal kind of puncture will get you to a safe place to have your tire patched. I don't even like to THINK about changing a tire on the small shoulder of a freeway with semi's blowing by at 70 mph. A regular tire will shred itself if you try to drive off somewhere safe to change it.

Than of course, there's always AAA!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:39 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
If the tire needed to be replaced, the warranty would not cover that and you'd be out whatever a new run-flat costs ($200?).

My issue is that I won't have a lot of extra $$$ to pour into a new car... I will be paying the note!

If you replace the run-flats... will the 16'' rims go on regular tires?

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
A Pirelli RF runs $185 at Tire Rack + installation & shipping.

If you don't have extra money to spend on a new car you might consider another vehicle. Don't get me wrong I love my Mini but Mini's have a few costly issues. One being their notoriuosly cracking windshields which are usually not covered under warranty.

I didn't ever take a spare on a trip. You can drive on a flat runflat for a pretty long way so you don't need a spare That's whay they are called "run" "flats"

Any correctly sized tire will go on your 16" rim (but if you are getting an MCS, the sport package is a must which would put you at 17" rims )

Old 09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Nope. No spare on a long trip for me. Just the slime repair kit.

As far as why there is no spare. There is no room. The super charger in the MCS took up the battery space and they moved the battery to the boot and takes up the space where the spare tire well would be.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Just another question. I have a new MCS. How long should the original runflats last?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:03 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Annewithane
Just another question. I have a new MCS. How long should the original runflats last?
I replaced mine at 17K but they were not down to the wearbars yet so they had more miles left on them. Plus like an idiot I didn't rotate mine til 12K so if I had been smarter I could have made them last a lot longer.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
I replaced mine at 17K but they were not down to the wearbars yet so they had more miles left on them. Plus like an idiot I didn't rotate mine til 12K so if I had been smarter I could have made them last a lot longer.

what kind did you have? and were they performance or all-season?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gunna knock on wood here, but I go everywhere (read trips) in my MCS running regular tires without a spare. Have a homemade compressor/FixaFlat kit in my boot like others here. Went three years in my previous M3 with the same type setup. Anything can happen, but in general tires are much better these days and less likely to have catastrophic failures. Worst case scenario, I have to get towed to somewhere that sells tires. Unlikely they will have an exact replacement but very likely they will have some kind of 17" tire that will get me home. For better or worse, cars without spares are becoming more common every day, some with runflats, some without. I'm shopping for a Cayman now, another car that comes with performance tires and no spare.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
How many flat tires have you had??? the RF's are not that bad but when you replace them it just does not pay to stick with RF's the cost of one tire let alone all four will be more than a tow to a tire shop. It is another one of these what are you willing to pay for "safe of mind"....errr....convience....If you get a flat yes it will be more convienient put I am not willing to pay $500 for convience.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini

In the MCS they had to move the battery to the back and use a different muffler so there is no room for a spare.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:29 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
what kind did you have? and were they performance or all-season?
I had Pirelli performance (Pirelli eufori@ Ultra High Performance Summer, actually). I loved them. I miss them

Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
A Pirelli RF runs $185 at Tire Rack + installation & shipping.

If you don't have extra money to spend on a new car you might consider another vehicle. Don't get me wrong I love my Mini but Mini's have a few costly issues. One being their notoriuosly cracking windshields which are usually not covered under warranty.

I didn't ever take a spare on a trip. You can drive on a flat runflat for a pretty long way so you don't need a spare That's whay they are called "run" "flats"

Any correctly sized tire will go on your 16" rim (but if you are getting an MCS, the sport package is a must which would put you at 17" rims )
that's kind of a ***** thing to say.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by El_Jefe
that's kind of a ***** thing to say.
WTH are you talking about? Can you even read?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Lorimaa
Neutral
I am just a lady who loves her 2008 MCS and does not know much about tires. The 17' Dunlop 205/45R17 SP Sport 01 run flats that it came with need replacing on the front. (Was not smart enough to rotate but know better now!) I go between buying two of the same for the front and then putting the front ones on the rear when the rear needs new tires or switching to regular tires and buying 4 new ones. Are there any regular tires that compare to the Dunlop run flats?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
[quote=mini_dreams;1124189]I agree... i think it's very odd that my decision would come down to tires, but i just can't wrap my head around NOT having a spare tire in a car. That just seems odd.

I mean, what if you just bought the car and then drove out of the dealer and accidentally hit a pot hole or somehow punctured a tire. If the tire needed to be replaced, the warranty would not cover that and you'd be out whatever a new run-flat costs ($200?).

As you have seen, the runflat opinions run pretty strong. I bought a new MCS Convertible and picked it up this June. I had the dealer remove the OEM runflats before I took delivery of the car and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S PLUS. It is all totally subjective and what one person loves another may not like. I love the smooth ride, 45k tread mileage warranty, the crisp handling and low noise of this Michelin tire.

My decision was based on the fact that I want good handling but I did not like the harsh ride of the runflats, the tire noise, the short life and the ridiculous expense. Many cost nearly $300 for the tire alone and many dealers charge $400 including labor!!

I carry a compressor and sealant in the boot and MINI has free roadside assistance for I believe 3 yrs. If I go on any long trips I will carry a space saver spare.

The muffler of the S occupies the space normally used for the spare. The MC and the MCS are two distinctly different personalities. I love the torque of the turbo engine. Strong acceleration in any gear. Good luck on your decision.....these are awsome cars!!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
Holy 2006 thread batman!

Oh, and say no to runflats..

Old 08-07-2009, 04:19 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cube17576
In the MCS they had to move the battery to the back and use a different muffler so there is no room for a spare.
My '09 MCS convertible battery is in the front on the passenger side but the muffler is huge and eats up the spare tire space.

Quick Reply: Tire ignorant... run flat advice answers, advice?