1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:21 PM
slowclimb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I just joined and wanted to say hello.

I am not a current mini owner, but I am looking to pick one up in the next year.

I have owned 2 VW GTIs (MKII 16Vand MKIV VR6) and most recently a lightly modded WRX. I recently sold the WRX to save some money to buy a house. But, the bug is back and I am looking to pick something fairly cheap (sub 30K) and fun for spirited driving, auto X and light track days.

My list to date:

Mini Cooper S
MKV GTI
MazdaSpeed 3
Honda Civic SI Coupe or Sedan

When I had a MKIV GTI and the mini cooper s had just come out my friend and I went and took one for a 1/2 hour test drive. Needless to say we were blown away by the handling, but a little unimpressed by the pull. I still retell the story of how that car stuck to the road and how it completely embarrassed my (WAY overweight) VR6. Not to mention how I scared the crap out of my buddy on our local twisty road and the onramp for 287.

Recently I was in England and my father in-law (Retired from Rover/BMW/Honda/whoever else bought and sold that company) got me in for a tour of the Mini Assembly plant. This re-sparked my interest in this car.

I have also been looking and researching the MKV, even though it is still as portly as my MKIV I have heard the chassis is much better...but the lack of a limited slip leaves me unsure as to how well this car will use all the torque that motor can generate in a twisty situation.

I hear the MazdaSpeed 3 is going to have tons of power and a good chassis, but I have also heard that all the electronic interference that Mazda uses to tame all the power they are trying to put through the front wheels is not ideal for something like auto x...since the car detunes itself in 1 - 3rd and when the steering wheel is hard over, I read it makes for unpredictable power in turns.

Of course I have not driven either of these. All my information is via magazine, TV and message board. I will have to wait to test drive before my final decision is made.

I owned a Civic in the past and was less inspired by the performance and pretty much everything except for the reliability...but, again I have heard great things about the new one, and the new SI Sedan looks like it could be a good choice if I decide I need more room or more doors then the Mini or VW provide...and less power (or maybe it is more usable power) then the Mazda Speed 3.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards the Mini, especially since I have been reading posts on VWvortex about how the MKV is really competitive in auto x stock with everything except the Cooper..

Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to NAM, slowclimb!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome to NAM!

here at my local autox nothing beats the Cooper S in G-stock.

last local autox i went to a MCS put down the fastest time of the day, by an unbelievable 4 sec. The guys who are out there every event were running 35-36 secs the slower crowd running high 30's and 41's. The cooper droped a 31 sec lap time. and everyones jaw droped to the floor. He then got out and squirted his intercooler down and said "beat that!" in a playful mannor.

MCS rules G-stock