1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is premium PKG worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 AM
paul_
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by defylogik
sunroof: good
auto climate control: has never worked properly/or i cant figure it out. (wasted money)
I agree, the sunroof is good, it is like driving a half-cabrio with everything open. But the climate control is stupifyingly easy... you hit auto, AC (if you need it), and select your desired temperature. That's it.

Our MINI has the premium package - the MFSW makes a big difference, the sunroof is awesome, the auto AC reduces at-speed fiddling, and the computer... well, it would've been more expensive to buy the other 3 separately, and it's a small convenience on the numerous road trips we take.

Just my $.02...

Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I love the MINI sunroof... it's just so different than anything else out there and I like the design for the interior. It looks even better with an antracite (black) headliner. I've got the prem. pack on my MINI, along w/ most of the other packages... I'm a gadget freak.

Drawbacks:
1. It reduces headroom. I'm 6'4" tall and I just barely fit under the sunroof. One more inch taller and I would have had to skip it. If I go to the track, I have to scrunch down a bit and play w/ the seat to fit the helmet into the sunroof opening.
2. It allows in a lot of light. Because the light is coming from above, it comes in over your sunglases and can be very distracting. I had my sunroofs tinted w/ 93% tint (black limo tint) and have been loving them ever since.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 AM
C4
Banned
No Premium pack here either. Only got the MFSW and the trip computer. Not into sunroofs and the auto AC sucks.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:54 AM
MedicMan55
3rd Gear
I recommend building the car multiple times on miniusa.com and figuring out what would work best for you. You have gotten many opinions on the subject of sun roofs and the steering wheel, but the opinion that matters the most is yours. So build, build till your hearts content!

Medic

Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I bought a MINI off the lot.

One had Premium, Leather and Sport packages and the other had Leather and Sport packages. Otherwise they were the same color and essentially identical.

I picked NO Premium.

Things that will be considerations:

What is your budget- if low on funds then skip the packages and get only what you need. Drop the Sport package before you drop the Premium.

Do you use the sunroof? Do you have a hotter climate where the sun can be bothering you with the sunroof? Do you mind that for as long as you own the car you will have the possibility of the sunroof breaking or leaking?
Do you do performance driving- if so then the sunroof would not be a good option due to the extra weight in the roof. Also it is definitely a bit less headroom.

Auto AC- I never use AC so for me it isn't attractive but for those that like AC then it is ok. But more electronics to go wrong in the long run.

Cruise control- I use it in my automatic cars but in a manual car I like just driving. I don't have it and rarely drive that far that I'd need it longer than about 5 or 10 miles tops.

Multifunction steering wheel- very good option and is useful. I don't have it but use the remote control for my aftermarket stereo.

Trip computer- nice inaccurate gadget, more electronics to go wrong.
It's fun to play with gadgets but they are not essential.

People that have bought the Premium package like it. Those who didn't buy it generally don't miss it otherwise they would have bought it. Some choose not to get it due to budget reasons. Resale value is high for the MINI no matter what. The presence of sunroof and extras is nice but the condition of the car and mileage would have much greater impact to a potential buyer as well as the bottom line price. If you pay less to buy a MINI you can sell it for less (if you want to).

Old 10-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the OBC to monitor my fuel consumption. Worth knowing if you have a JCW. Also handy to have the outside temp reading when you live in the valley, and drive into the mountains all the time. Just a very handy little widget.

I love the MFSW, so I can change stations or blip through my iPod without having to take my eyes off the road.

The auto AC I never wanted, but got the other two without going premium or having to get a sunroof.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:11 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by defylogik
sunroof: good
auto climate control: has never worked properly/or i cant figure it out. (wasted money)
LOL, I don't understand why people have so much trouble with the Auto AC!

I mean, you just press the Auto button if you want it auto. If not, you press one of the manual air buttons to deselect the auto and then it's in manual mode with fresh air from outside unless you choose recirculate. Then if you just want air from outside and no AC, you just deselect the snowflake button, and voila! *sigh* I guess it's all the buttons that confuse people...

Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Sir Mini
3rd Gear
Call me crazy but I didn't want the sunroof, at any price. I would not want to sacrifice any headroom, and I think having a window above the back seat is a bit silly for essentially a two seater. And it adds weight.... and I like the clean roof look.

If not having one will hurt my resale value, I'll just have to keep it until I donate it to charity....

Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
CruiseControl
4th Gear
If you like a sunroof, get the premium package. If not at least get the MFSW. And the Auto A/C is a bit complicated but a handy feature to have for the comfort of your significant other.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:18 AM
swizzle
3rd Gear
Howdy,

I went with Premium, Convenience and Cold weather packs. I've always liked sunroofs mostly for the ventilation and being able to allow hot air to escape when parked. If I ever need to replace my current MCS with another one, I would probably not get a sunroof. Why? Because I would go for a white roof and like the look of it without the sunroof.

I use the MFSW all the time as I have the iPod interface. I don't bother with cruise control. And the OBC, whatever.

What I love about the convenience package is auto sensing wipers, auto mirror dimming and a built in garage door opener. These things I can do without again.

Just choose what works best for you, after all, it's your MINI

swizzle

Old 10-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
I know I'm in the minority here, but what the hey, I'm used to it. I really don't understand everyone's love for cruise control. The MINI is a driver's car. I don't care if I'm going on a 1000 mile trip across the desert wtih no curves, no hills and no traffic... I want to drive the car with my own hands and feet and brain (admittedly not as sharp as it used to be, hehe). I have had cruise on a lot of my previous cars and never think about turning it on. I enjoy driving too much.

YD

It's funny, I totally forget that I have it when I do my long commute to the office. It was more for the Mrs. than anything else we got package #1. She loves the sunroof but it's noisey and a PITA to hold a conversation in with it open at highway speeds.

Think of your needs not only now, but in a few years too. It might make you look at things differently.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:08 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
I use the OBC to monitor my fuel consumption. Worth knowing if you have a JCW. Also handy to have the outside temp reading when you live in the valley, and drive into the mountains all the time. Just a very handy little widget.
The OBC option only adds the range, fuel consumption, etc. to the standard OBC. If you don't get the option, you still can display speed and outside temp. To me, it didn't seem worth spending $200 just to know something I can calculate manually (esp. since it is notoriously wrong!). I used the money to get the rear fog and bonnet stripes, but in the end I got the bonnet stripes free...

Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
chickencoop
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini-mine
The OBC option only adds the range, fuel consumption, etc. to the standard OBC. If you don't get the option, you still can display speed and outside temp. To me, it didn't seem worth spending $200 just to know something I can calculate manually (esp. since it is notoriously wrong!). I used the money to get the rear fog and bonnet stripes, but in the end I got the bonnet stripes free...
I am going to call the dealer today and tell them to remove the OBC since i keep hearing that the info. is wrong. I'm going to keep the Auto A/C (you never know) and the steering wheel and sunroof. I've personally have always loved sunroofs even as a child i always wanted my parents to have one and i have never had one in any of my cars so might as well. And i actually like how it looks
i think im going to go your route and get bonnet stripes with the OBC money or maybe get aftermarket shelby stripes.
Do the front fog lights add an extra toggle switch?
I want lots of them

Old 10-06-2006, 10:52 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chickencoop
I am going to call the dealer today and tell them to remove the OBC since i keep hearing that the info. is wrong. I'm going to keep the Auto A/C (you never know) and the steering wheel and sunroof. I've personally have always loved sunroofs even as a child i always wanted my parents to have one and i have never had one in any of my cars so might as well. And i actually like how it looks
i think im going to go your route and get bonnet stripes with the OBC money or maybe get aftermarket shelby stripes.
Do the front fog lights add an extra toggle switch?
I want lots of them
Well, actually, if you are still getting the other three things, you might as well keep the OBC! The package subtracts $200 from the cost of buying them all individually, so subtracting the OBC (which is $200) and buying the other three a la carte will come out to the same price!

I would say you should keep it as it is technically free if you are going to get ALL the other items in the package...

And yes, the front and rear fogs each add a toggle...

Old 10-06-2006, 11:02 AM
crazypoet
2nd Gear
I Love My Sunroof!

I can't even imagine not having that window on the sky... Combine that with the other options in the package, and it makes for a delightfull touring car (GT in the truest sense)

Old 10-06-2006, 11:53 AM
chickencoop
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini-mine
Well, actually, if you are still getting the other three things, you might as well keep the OBC! The package subtracts $200 from the cost of buying them all individually, so subtracting the OBC (which is $200) and buying the other three a la carte will come out to the same price!

I would say you should keep it as it is technically free if you are going to get ALL the other items in the package...

And yes, the front and rear fogs each add a toggle...
Oh hahaha, i just realized that. you are right, i guess i'll just keep the whole thing, plus more things to show off to people
i'll just leave the order as is.
Thanks for the help.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
I know I'm in the minority here, but what the hey, I'm used to it. I really don't understand everyone's love for cruise control. The MINI is a driver's car. I don't care if I'm going on a 1000 mile trip across the desert wtih no curves, no hills and no traffic... I want to drive the car with my own hands and feet and brain (admittedly not as sharp as it used to be, hehe). I have had cruise on a lot of my previous cars and never think about turning it on. I enjoy driving too much.

YD
Well let's see now. I drive a JCW, which is a tad more gas hungry than an MCS and MC. So I'f I'm going to visit my brother for example, it's one long, mostly boring stretch of I-80 from CA to Cheyenne, WY, I will use CC to conserve premium gas, and keep the knees and ankles from getting stiff.

90% of the time, I never use CC, but I'm glad I have it.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:30 PM
rare1
2nd Gear
Location: From Northern NJ to Southern CA, now down in Dixie!
Originally Posted by chickencoop
...remove the OBC since i keep hearing that the info. is wrong.
How is the info on the OBC wrong?

Anyway, I chose the OBC through the chrono pack and and opted for everything a-la-carte in the Premium Package exept for auto a/c. Saved $200 and opted for the anthracite headliner. Everything else mentioned above (i.e. UGDO, Auto-Dim Mirror, Rain Sensor) came in the Convenience Package.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Red Fish
1st Gear
I know I'm in the minority here, but what the hey, I'm used to it. I really don't understand everyone's love for cruise control.
YD
I'm equally puzzled. I had cruise control on my last car, and used it maybe once in nine years.

I went with the sunroof a la carte and added a white decal, which keeps things cool when the roof is closed and keeps the white top all white.

I had to have at least a sunroof; all my other cars have been convertibles.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 PM
camminich
5th Gear
Just my 2-cents on CC. When I lived in Seattle (lots of hills) I never used my cruise. Since moving to Indiana (quite flat) I use it all of the time. It used to be just something that came with the car and you never used (like the jack) but now it is nice to have.