1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MCSm Powershifting in daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:20 PM
twonz1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCSm Powershifting in daily driving

I was just wondering if there are any powershifters out there. I was discussing my car with a couple of friends and I said that I would hate to wear out my clutch. They both told me to not use the clutch all the time. They told me to use the correct rpm's and just slide from one gear to another. I have dabbled with this today and it works pretty well(couple small grinds). Is the Getrag up for this or should I stick with proper shifting. I would rather wear out a clutch than replace a transmisson. I told them this and they acted like I didn't believe them 100%, which I didn't. That's why I'm calling on any Mini experts out there to set me straight on this. Thanx for any imput.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
If you have any sort of grinding from the transmission, this is obviously NOT a good thing to make a habit. A clutch is meant to wear down over time and is quite a bit cheaper when comparing costs for a clutch replacement versus fixing a transmission. I'd stick with the tried-and-true method of utilizing your clutch to minimize the shock on the transmission. Besides, if you are that worried about clutch wear-and-tear, just learn to shift faster with less time spent slipping the clutch when launching and/or changing gears. I can assure you that your MINI will certainly appreciate it and not to mention your wallet!

GotMINI

Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 PM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Clutches are way cheaper than trannys. If you don't abuse your clutch it should last 100K miles or more.

If you abuse it you could kill it in a hot week-end, of course. The best thing you can do for your clutch life is to use it properly.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 PM
hudmg0kw
3rd Gear
Alerious: If you have any sort of grinding from the transmission, this is obviously NOT a good thing

Ditto.

The clutch in a MINI seems to be quite well built. There are threads, already posted, which show 100K+ is the norm. I doubt you can expect that from a transmission if you "occasionally" grind gears.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
carlsbadd
Neutral
If I am driving easy I will somtimes go from 3rd to 4th without using the clutch as it seems to slip in rather easy if you are at the proper RPM's.

I expect to replace a clutch at about 75K Miles because I drive the heck out of my toys, getting 100 or 120K out of a clutch is possible if you drive it easy , but wheres the fun in that?

Old 11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
It's been said already... Your clutch will last if you treat it with even a little respect. Your gearbox will become unhappy and cost a lot more to replace. Use your clutch.