1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member. 350z driver.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006 | 06:03 PM
ruining
|
Neutral
Well, you guys are giving pretty good at convincing someone to go WRX. Now the next hurdle... the looks. I'll be looking at some WRX body kits to help in the decision. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2006 | 06:12 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
+1

and some tires
Toyos please

Old 12-17-2006 | 06:15 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ruining
Well, you guys are giving pretty good at convincing someone to go WRX. Now the next hurdle... the looks. I'll be looking at some WRX body kits to help in the decision. Thanks again.
If you're rallying it? I'd say get the OEM aero kit and maybe a front lip but THATS IT. If you get a super boyracer kit and rally it, chances are you'll destroy first time around.

Try: http://www.worldoneperformance.com
Speak to Armin, he's the best. Tell him your buddy Jono from Clubwrx.net referred you.
His AIM is: WorldOneArmin
His phone is: 206.938.7975

Old 12-17-2006 | 06:16 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Besides, who cares about how it looks at the front? People will only see the back of your car!!

Old 12-17-2006 | 09:32 PM
justintime
6th Gear

they should hire me at subaru

Old 12-17-2006 | 11:14 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
sound like you'll choose 3 letters veresus 4!
WRX instead of MINI

Old 12-18-2006 | 10:56 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
why not the STI vs the standard WRX?

When I was hunting I drove the both...the STI is night/day a different car than the standard WRX.

What made those of you who support the WRX go for a MC/MCS instead?

I've got a buddy w/ an STI who swears he wouldn't drive anything else again.. I look at his 18MPG on the highway and swear otherwise...that was the main mitigating factor for me..

Old 12-18-2006 | 01:46 PM
justintime
6th Gear
he mentioned the sti was out for price reasons.

Originally Posted by JohnBLZ

When I was hunting I drove the both...the STI is night/day a different car than the standard WRX.

I've got a buddy w/ an STI who swears he wouldn't drive anything else again.. I look at his 18MPG on the highway and swear otherwise...that was the main mitigating factor for me..

Old 12-18-2006 | 02:45 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ

I would say the looks of the STi, plus, true for true, it's a rally car. Sure, I street rally when I can, and autox as much as possible, even if it means finding an abandoned lot and setting up my own Ghymkana, but the STi is just too much. It's an enthusiasts car just like ours, but we don't need 300hp to have fun.

When I drove my MINI for the first time, it was absolute love at first sight. I drove a WRX and STi and thought the shifting was notchy, the drivetrain is relatively weak on the WRX (They use a 250hp limited dt which if you mod the car at all, guess who's buying a new one, unwarrantied?) and also it wasn't as responsive as the MINI. All this plus the "cult" following that the MINI has sold me on the lil bugger, and I haven't looked back since.

Sure, WRXs ans STis are still a plaything to me, and I love hearing about them and working on them, but the MINI is MY car, and it's the only one I'll drive for quite some time.

Happy motoring!

Old 12-18-2006 | 03:08 PM
justintime
6th Gear
+1

Originally Posted by Rogue Cooper
I would say the looks of the STi, plus, true for true, it's a rally car. Sure, I street rally when I can, and autox as much as possible, even if it means finding an abandoned lot and setting up my own Ghymkana, but the STi is just too much. It's an enthusiasts car just like ours, but we don't need 300hp to have fun.

When I drove my MINI for the first time, it was absolute love at first sight. I drove a WRX and STi and thought the shifting was notchy, the drivetrain is relatively weak on the WRX (They use a 250hp limited dt which if you mod the car at all, guess who's buying a new one, unwarrantied?) and also it wasn't as responsive as the MINI. All this plus the "cult" following that the MINI has sold me on the lil bugger, and I haven't looked back since.

Sure, WRXs ans STis are still a plaything to me, and I love hearing about them and working on them, but the MINI is MY car, and it's the only one I'll drive for quite some time.

Happy motoring!

Old 12-18-2006 | 04:05 PM
ruining
|
Neutral
Well, I probably won't do the mini, or the WRX. I'm still pretty interested in the Suzuki SX4. AWD at under $16,000 is pretty good. I'll be doing some pretty big changes and I've already talked to a local custom body guy about doing a one-off wide body kit. It comes stock with 140hp and I'm looking into what type of motor swaps I can get into. They are so hard to find info because they're so new, but it looks like I'll be a Suzuki guy.

I wanted to stay cheap so I could afford some mods. I'll be saving about $300 per month by going with the Zuk over the 350z.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 12-18-2006 | 04:14 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
STi or EVO for rallying!!!

Old 12-18-2006 | 04:15 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Oh what?!?! That's sweet!!!

Well, I probably won't do the mini, or the WRX. I'm still pretty interested in the Suzuki SX4. AWD at under $16,000 is pretty good. I'll be doing some pretty big changes and I've already talked to a local custom body guy about doing a one-off wide body kit. It comes stock with 140hp and I'm looking into what type of motor swaps I can get into. They are so hard to find info because they're so new, but it looks like I'll be a Suzuki guy.

I wanted to stay cheap so I could afford some mods. I'll be saving about $300 per month by going with the Zuk over the 350z.

Old 12-18-2006 | 05:17 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear

yeah that car there has about 250,000 in it. if you want to rally, go buy a used rally car for 5-10 grand. it will cost you 10X that to build a competitive one. I built a BMW 2002 that I sunk about 20,000 grnd into over about 5 years and it still got blown away by similar used cars that cost around 3-5K.

If you want a cool street car thats fun to drive and does GREAT on a track or autocross, get the mcs. with only a few mods you can put down some really impressive times that will be close if not faster then a moded wrx, or stock sti.

minis are great cars with cool style and great handling, why go elsewhere?

Old 12-18-2006 | 06:45 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear

Yeah, but it's a Suzuki

Really though, good idea, but engine swaps are a LOT of work, and a LOT of money. To have a functional swap, let's say from the stock motor in that 'Zuki to a VF34 turbo or VF22, you'd have to redo all the connections, headers, exhaust, cams, piping, etc just to squeeze every bit of power out of it. Not to mention the kit, tires, suspension work, body mods, aerodynamic mods, stripping the interior, driver training, etc etc etc.

Yeah, rallying sounds awesome, but it's almost impossible without sponsors.

Sponsorship cash = Lifesaver

But hey, if you can pull it off, more power to you! If you have any questions concerning first mods or swaps, ask me and I'll be more than happy to help you out

Old 12-18-2006 | 07:12 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Keep in mind that some modded MCS's like mine are just as fast if not faster than a stock 350z...

btw...welcome to NAM!

Old 12-18-2006 | 09:00 PM
justintime
6th Gear
haha, I did my b series swap into the crx without much knowledge at all its hard work but very much do-able. HOWEVER why buy a new one if you plan on swapping the motor so soon??

also, doesnt rally rules limit you to the size of motor you use? I think most of the faster rally cars rely on bigger turbos/ built motors... and trannys.. could be wrong though.

Yeah, but it's a Suzuki

Really though, good idea, but engine swaps are a LOT of work, and a LOT of money. To have a functional swap, let's say from the stock motor in that 'Zuki to a VF34 turbo or VF22, you'd have to redo all the connections, headers, exhaust, cams, piping, etc just to squeeze every bit of power out of it. Not to mention the kit, tires, suspension work, body mods, aerodynamic mods, stripping the interior, driver training, etc etc etc.

Yeah, rallying sounds awesome, but it's almost impossible without sponsors.

Sponsorship cash = Lifesaver

But hey, if you can pull it off, more power to you! If you have any questions concerning first mods or swaps, ask me and I'll be more than happy to help you out

Old 12-19-2006 | 09:23 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
One thing to think about. Every single time I see a 350Z, I automatically think it's an Audi TT, until I get close enough to see the Nissan badge. Yes, I should know better.

Only the truly blind don't recognize a Mini for what it is. And yes, they do exist.

Old 12-19-2006 | 12:53 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
One thing to think about. Every single time I see a 350Z, I automatically think it's an Audi TT, until I get close enough to see the Nissan badge. Yes, I should know better.

Only the truly blind don't recognize a Mini for what it is. And yes, they do exist.
"Hey, is that a PT Cruiser?"

Old 12-19-2006 | 01:49 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear

"Here's your sign."

Old 12-19-2006 | 01:53 PM
justintime
6th Gear

thats about the only thing people say that bug me about the cooper

Old 12-19-2006 | 01:55 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
I have never had that one directed at me. Everyone gets it right the first time.

Old 12-19-2006 | 02:05 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
I have never had that one directed at me. Everyone gets it right the first time.

haha well you will be ready for it atleast