1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member. 350z driver.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006 | 02:41 PM
ruining
|
Neutral
New member. 350z driver.

Hey, everyone. I'm looking to trade in my 350z. My wife and I are having a child soon, (due the 28th of Dec) and I need something with more seats. She told me when we first found out she was pregnant that I could keep the Z, and she's stuck to that. I'm really intrested in driving as a recreation, and would like a fun track car. I know the handling on the Minis is outstanding, but what about the power? I drove one a while ago, just on a highway and was a little disappointed in the power. How easy are they to upgrade for a little more, (50-100) hp?

If I go with the Mini, I'll be looking into AutoX, but what I'm really interested in is rally driving. I'm so confused. :impatient

Old 12-16-2006 | 07:29 PM
DjR53
4th Gear
well i know from mini-madness.com the have some packages to upgrade HP

Old 12-16-2006 | 07:39 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
keep you z so can feel that power.
there is no comparison going from a six to a four.

Old 12-16-2006 | 07:49 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Well, you've picked a really weird time to go Mini shopping. The tried and true 2006 models have ceased production. The 2006 (and earlier) MCS is supercharged and has about 168hp. The JCW version is around 207hp.

For 2007, it's a different car. The MCS will be turbocharged, and a little heavier. Don't know when a JCW version will be out for sure, if at all. It's an unproven car.

Also remember that a Mini is lighter than your 350z, and a better hp to weight ratio.

Old 12-16-2006 | 08:50 PM
ruining
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Well, you've picked a really weird time to go Mini shopping. The tried and true 2006 models have ceased production. The 2006 (and earlier) MCS is supercharged and has about 168hp. The JCW version is around 207hp.

For 2007, it's a different car. The MCS will be turbocharged, and a little heavier. Don't know when a JCW version will be out for sure, if at all. It's an unproven car.

Also remember that a Mini is lighter than your 350z, and a better hp to weight ratio.
Thanks for the info, guys. If there was any way to feel good about keeping the Z, I would. This has been my favorite car so far. I love it, but I really should be moving on, (even if it means moving slower).

Thanks for the heads-up on the new models. I may be stuck going with an older 'S', though. I'm still kicking around the idea of going with the Suzuki SX4. It's AWD and much better for rally, which I guess would have to be my ultimate goal. I'll be checking the weight/hp ratio for the cooper. The Z is about 3200lbs vs. 240whp. I'll have to check it out.

I've got a Grey/Silver '04 for about $20,000. Is that about in line with expectations? The Suzuki is AWD for about $16,000 new.

It's about 2800 lbs vs. 140 crank hp. Not sure how much power you can squeeze from them yet.

Old 12-16-2006 | 08:55 PM
ruining
|
Neutral
The Mini is 2700lbs and 163 hp for the 'S'?

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:08 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Welcome to NAM, the 350Z is a great car (nealry bought one myself).
The R56 has 175bhp and a truck load of torque.

Old 12-17-2006 | 06:44 AM
TLMCS05
3rd Gear
You might want to drive a modded Mini before you make your mind up I am at 200whp according to the dyno and the butt dyno is very happy! Suspension upgrades have made my car even better to drive every day.
Lots of fun upgrades and mods out there if you like turning your own wrenches, which you seem to. What area of the country are you in? You could probably hitch a ride with one of the fellow mod junkies from here! LOL

Good luck in your research, and also my coworker's 350 stays in my rearview much more than the other way around. Methinks he is a tad scared of his car! Trying to get him to do a track day with me soon to get him over that (Which would also change the view in the mirror, lol)! But that is another story....

Old 12-17-2006 | 03:32 PM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
My 2 cents, go for it.

I went from

to

and couldn't be happier!

Either way, let us know what you decide.

Old 12-17-2006 | 04:41 PM
ruining
|
Neutral
Wow. Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm still trying to settle on a car. How much money does it take to get it to get the CooperS to around 200-225whp? And is that the best way to go, or get the non-S and start there? Again, I'd be all over it if it was AWD, but that SX4 is looking pretty good. If there was more available for body kits or exterior, I'd be all over that. I'm so undecided.

TLMCS05. Thanks for the idea. I'm in Washington State. I guess the Mini should COOK at about 200hp. It'd be great to be able to ride along at a track or even on a spirited cruise. If I get it, the first thing I would be doing is suspension for off-road rally driving. Power would be a close second.

abbydog3, thanks for the vote of confidence in the decision. Why did you get rid of the Z? Here's mine.

Old 12-17-2006 | 04:51 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ruining
Wow. Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm still trying to settle on a car. How much money does it take to get it to get the CooperS to around 200-225whp?
MCS for 07 is 175 bhp. The car isnt even out yet so nobody knows ... yet

for early years, its 168 bhp. to get to 225 WHP your looking at 265 or so bhp ... than means twin charge. Go look at Helix, Webb or other tuners selling the Twin charge kit. Not cheap, no warranty

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:04 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info, guys. If there was any way to feel good about keeping the Z, I would. This has been my favorite car so far. I love it, but I really should be moving on, (even if it means moving slower).

Thanks for the heads-up on the new models. I may be stuck going with an older 'S', though. I'm still kicking around the idea of going with the Suzuki SX4. It's AWD and much better for rally, which I guess would have to be my ultimate goal. I'll be checking the weight/hp ratio for the cooper. The Z is about 3200lbs vs. 240whp. I'll have to check it out.

I've got a Grey/Silver '04 for about $20,000. Is that about in line with expectations? The Suzuki is AWD for about $16,000 new.

It's about 2800 lbs vs. 140 crank hp. Not sure how much power you can squeeze from them yet.
Rally dog? Need AWD and sufficient power? Subaru Impreza WRX

Want something fun that you can AutoX and track, then drive it home? MCS

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:04 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
go get your Suzukini you'll be happier in your rally car.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:09 PM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
You said you wanted to go rallying. Have you considered a Subaru?

We all know that Subaru competes in the WRC, but there is a decent amount of people that rally their own cars. Im also pretty sure that there are some companies that makre parts for owners looking to rally.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:16 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Hey, everyone. I'm looking to trade in my 350z. My wife and I are having a child soon, (due the 28th of Dec) and I need something with more seats. She told me when we first found out she was pregnant that I could keep the Z, and she's stuck to that. I'm really intrested in driving as a recreation, and would like a fun track car. I know the handling on the Minis is outstanding, but what about the power? I drove one a while ago, just on a highway and was a little disappointed in the power. How easy are they to upgrade for a little more, (50-100) hp?

If I go with the Mini, I'll be looking into AutoX, but what I'm really interested in is rally driving. I'm so confused. :impatient

my cousin has a modded 350z. It smokes everything in town. But he still loves my car and its only the cooper if you plan on making 200+ hp go with the MCS not the MC. If you really want to rally I recomend an sti haha.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:17 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by iggy
You said you wanted to go rallying. Have you considered a Subaru?

We all know that Subaru competes in the WRC, but there is a decent amount of people that rally their own cars. Im also pretty sure that there are some companies that makre parts for owners looking to rally.
+1

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:17 PM
justintime
6th Gear
btw, what suspension do you have in the 350? your tuckin alot in the front.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:35 PM
ruining
|
Neutral
justintime, I've just got some H&R lowering springs. If I keep it, I'm going to do tein coilovers, but I'm still undecided. If nothing else, I need to do some spacers, and camber kit, but my tires are holding up so far.

Everyone: Yes, I want to rally. I want to do some autox, too, but I think my number one goal now is to rally. Nothing too serious, but I have the bug. I can't really swing the cost of an STi, and was thinking about WRX, but I have a couple of friends with those that have been through a couple motors, each. I'm looking for something I can beat reliably. I'm still looking. Can't decide!

Maybe I'll go suzuki, but I'm still researching the MCS. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:40 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
I'm looking for something I can beat reliably.
Not going to happen here.....minis drown in two feet of water.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:43 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
justintime, I've just got some H&R lowering springs. If I keep it, I'm going to do tein coilovers, but I'm still undecided. If nothing else, I need to do some spacers, and camber kit, but my tires are holding up so far.

Everyone: Yes, I want to rally. I want to do some autox, too, but I think my number one goal now is to rally. Nothing too serious, but I have the bug. I can't really swing the cost of an STi, and was thinking about WRX, but I have a couple of friends with those that have been through a couple motors, each. I'm looking for something I can beat reliably. I'm still looking. Can't decide!

WRX having engine problems!!? Maybe if they threw a CAI, BOV, and boost controller on it like a boyracer. Those engines are primo, sure, the drivetrain leaves something to be desired but if you don't clutch drop it and abuse the **** out of it you'll be fine. Honestly, I have not heard of one Boxer blowing on my friends that own WRXs and I was even looking at trading the Coopah in for one. They are reliable as anything, and the AWD is great. Mod responsibly, and use a tuner like Cobb AccessPORT with your Rex and you won't have any issues at all. Stage II + TBE = 285hp (About 260awhp due to dt loss) meaning you'll trap consistent 103s at low 13s. Easy as cake.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:44 PM
justintime
6th Gear
my cuz, did the tein route. he lifted the rear back to stock height after going through a couple sets of tires with extreme negative camber wear

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:47 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
my cuz, did the tein route. he lifted the rear back to stock height after going through a couple sets of tires with extreme negative camber wear
TEINs are nice, but they are pretty stiff from what I experienced. WRX lowered about 1.5" and the ride was horrible on those springs. Since then he changed out for some Cobb springs I think, and now the ride is much better, and much more responsive.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:47 PM
justintime
6th Gear
also, grassroots magazine (in a recent issue) did an article on making a subaru WRX (I think) into a rally car. I believe it was a very cheap prossess too. (could be wrong) they stripped it, put in a rollcage and roof scoop and were off to the races.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:49 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
also, grassroots magazine (in a recent issue) did an article on making a subaru WRX (I think) into a rally car. I believe it was a very cheap prossess too. (could be wrong) they stripped it, put in a rollcage and roof scoop and were off to the races.

To make a WRX rally worthy, all you really need to do is install a TBE, Cobb Stage I, strip the interior, throw a roofscoop on it, and do some break work as well as suspension and reduce bodyroll as much as possible.

The entire process costing usually less than $10,000, which for a stock car (TR version) running at $21K, with 227hp and AWD, plus a HUGE aftermarket community, you're set for life my friend.

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:52 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rogue Cooper

To make a WRX rally worthy, all you really need to do is install a TBE, Cobb Stage I, strip the interior, throw a roofscoop on it, and do some break work as well as suspension and reduce bodyroll as much as possible.

The entire process costing usually less than $10,000, which for a stock car (TR version) running at $21K, with 227hp and AWD, plus a HUGE aftermarket community, you're set for life my friend.
+1

and some tires

Quick Reply: New member. 350z driver.