1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket MINI alarm systems - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 PM
ucbmckee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket MINI alarm systems - suggestions?

I just came into delivery of my new MCS, <3. I probably got way too many options for it, but there were a few that I just couldn't justify paying the absolutely ridiculous dealer markup/installation fees for. One such item was the integrated alarm. (Hello gouging, $600 for a no-frills alarm system?) However, I still very much want to get a decent system installed. I'm just guessing from past experience that I can get a much, much better one installed for less.

Soooo, does anyone here who might have been in the same boat have a strong recommendation for a quality aftermarket alarm system?

Thanks for all the help! =)

Old 12-27-2006, 02:17 PM
KPMINI
4th Gear
Have you looked into the LoJack system? It is better at recovering the vehicle. I know around here people just do not pay attention to car alarms any more. LoJack will not stop it from being stolen, however, it will help get the MINI back. Also if you are, god forbid, car jacked the alarm is not going to help you, LoJack will.
Just my 2 cents.
Happy Motoring.

- KP

Old 12-27-2006, 02:23 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another 2 cents....some folks have had issues tapping into the wiring harness for aftermarket alarms. May relate to warranty issues, too. Hopefully some of our folks can steer you around these problems.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:36 PM
ss96dcm
2nd Gear
in same boat

I too didn't get the dealer installed alarm... I have considered LoJack, but haven't decided yet. I like the fact it is a 1 time fee which is great if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

I am also considering buying the alarm from NAM's sponsor dealer and installing it myself. I wondered over to motoringfile.com and found the install guides there. It seem fairly plug and play. The kit includes all you need to make it look like a dealer install yourself. I also noticed that the kit for the later models (I have an 06) is cheaper and can be had for around $160 after discounts.

I did read that you still need to go through the dealer to activate the alarm... something about registering the alarm module and the immobilizer with the ECU... As long as they don't want the diff ($400) to plug their PC to my car and run their program. l

I'll have to pull the trigger on this before too long...

Old 12-29-2006, 12:41 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would stay away fom aftermarket alarms on the MINI.

Specificly ones that tap into the main harness of the car to control central locking and such.

Ive heard nothing but problems about them.

OEM alarm is a good way to go, its a better alarm than you may think.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:35 PM
ucbmckee
1st Gear
Thanks for all of the advice. Between the responses here and some digging I did in other forums (silly n00b, I didn't even notice there was an electrical forum), I think I may end up getting the OEM alarm from some cheap vendor (Classic MINI?) and installing it myself. It seems SF Mini has one of the wost reputations for gouging (something I could attest to myself), so I'll have to hunt a bit to find a decent dealer to code it.

I was looking at lojack, but it seems a bit costly and there wasn't much of an insurance break for it. The alarm, though, seems like it might pay for itself. I guess the OEM one doesn't have a starter interlock, but if the key is chipped anyways, maybe it's not necessary. Auto thefts here aren't -uncommon-, but the primary worry is just random break-ins (something which is very, very common).

Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:51 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.trunkmonkey.com

You won't need ANY alarm