1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MINI Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:29 PM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINI Advice

im thinking of buying a mcs and i was wonder if i should wait for the 2007 model and getting some packages and also the aero kit with the driving lamps or just buying a used mcs and changing the chrome grill to the aero kit and buying driving lamps (i really want the hyper blue mcs with the aero kit and the driving lamps, it looks so sweet). Also, what do you guys think about the navigation system, is it worth it?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Lexster05
3rd Gear
Looks like you're in a bind...

There has been several threads regarding supercharger vs turbo on NAM.
Since you haven't had a MINI before, I am assuming the overall aesthetics don't really matter to you - just as long as it looks like a MINI.

Here are some points that have been addressed:
The 2007 turbo will be the first year of a new engine ~ you run the risk of being the trailblazer for dealing with all the 1st year bugs.
The 2007 turbo has better mpg
The 2007 turbo will be a bit more expensive and you cannot get all the options as you would a supercharger.
Modding out a turbo to get more performance gain will be cheaper and easier in a turbo ~ better bang for your buck.
The turbo will be lighter.

Sticking with a supercharger, you get lovely whine.
The supercharger is tested and proven reliable ~ don't know whether the new turbo engine with provide the same reliability.
You can get a supercharger right now
The current generation MINI will give you more of a go-kart fun experience.

A compromise I am suggesting to you.... buy a used MCS now, wait 2 years and then swap for a turbo MINI. Hopefully, most of the bugs will be fixed by then and all the options in configuring the MINI will be available to you. Plus...the JCW turbo won't be available until late 2007, I don't know how long you are willing to wait.

I hear the new Nav system has improved a lot. However, paying over $1000 for a nav is a bit steep. Many of us have other gps units..either a pda, garmin or tomtom, doesn't cost as much and does a better job (also portable).

Best of luck in your decision making. I was in your shoes and I decided to stick with a JCW supercharger because I didn't want to risk having any first year bugs with the new turbo engine, and I could get it now. However....I am looking forward to 2008, we'll probably swap one of our MINIs then for either a clubman or a new turbo MINI.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:12 AM
dix
6th Gear
Lexster basically said it all. Good points on everything. Welcome to NAM. You'll find out anything about the mini on this site. Best site ever!