1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am disabled, have a MINI-related Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Mr.Atomic
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am disabled, have a MINI-related Question

Hello all,

This is my first post, although I've been lurking and learning for quite some time.

As the subject line indicates, I am physically disabled following a motor vehicle accident a few years ago. Because my left leg and knee were amputated and my right leg damaged, I use hand controls to operate my car. I've been pretty fixated on MINIs since the second generation hit the states, and dragged my girlfriend to Mini of Peabody the week it opened. I looked into the possibility of adapting hand controls to a manual-transmission MCS, but ran into difficulty with my insurance company. Adaptive systems for manual transmissions are used in Europe, but not in the US and I was told that it was an automatic or nothing. Not the end of the world, but MINI didn't offer an automatic MCS in 2002. As a result I bought an automatic Subaru WRX wagon, and have enjoyed it quite a bit. When MINI came out with the MCSa, though, I got the itch all over again. I fought it for a while, but am on the verge of caving and purchasing one of the last 2006 MCSa's.

I was wondering if there are any other disabled MINI owners in the forum. I tried searching but didn't find many comments or observations from people who might deal with wheelchairs, crutches, or hand controls in their MINI. Of course I've gone to dealers to practice disassembling my wheelchair and passing the chassis and wheels over my torso into the front passenger seat (where they sit while I drive), but I was hoping to hear from anyone who has dealt with similar issues over the long-term in such a small car. Also, I have not found a hand control vendor who has ever installed hand controls in a MINI. I'm sure it can be done, but would feel better knowing that someone, somewhere has succeeded before.

I'm well aware that a MINI isn't the most rational car purchase for someone who depends upon either a manual wheelchair or a prosthetic leg and bulky crutches for mobility, but I got through my accident and I'd like to have some fun on the road again. The WRX is totally endearing and I'll miss the goofy bugeyes and lumpy, boxer engine note but it needs to be driven very fast to be much fun. Plus, with an automatic transmission, the turbo is like an on/off switch. I'm hoping an MCSa will be more entertaining at more rational speeds, and I'm looking forward to the shift paddles. I was clinging to some shred of hope that the R56 would usher in a new, DSG-type automatic from MINI, but with no such news on the horizon, I'm planning to buy an R53, instead.

At any rate, thank you for all the instructional posts I've read while lurking, and I look forward to hearing from anyone with some thoughts on my questions.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm afraid I can't offer any help but I'd like to say Welcome, and I hope your dream can be realized!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have some GREAT news for you. Talk to your MA about this. If he doesn't know what I am talking about tell him to ask his manager. MINI will PAY (once) for the gear that is required for you to operate your (new) MINI. I can't remember the name of the program right now, but you'll have to supply docs to prove your disability and the reciepts for the parts.

edit:

It is called "MINI's Mobility Program" The bulletin number is CRS-11-03-06

Here is the text of the bulletin:

Upon purchase of a new MINI or a MININEXT Certified Pre-owned MINI, disabled customers may qualify for TOTAL reimbursement of vehicle modifications through MINIUSA.

This Sales Program for reimbursement covers all one-time expenses under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, 4-years/50,000 miles, or MININEXT Warranty, 6-years/100,000 miles, during ownership experience.

For reimbursement, MINI requires proof:

-Vehicle purchased from an authorized US MINI dealer.
-Vehicle purchase - a copy of lease or purchase documents.
-Vehicle is registered and operated by the disabled customer - a copy of permit or license.
-Invoice outlining the modifications performed.

If you have any questions contact MINI @ 1-888-275-6464.

There ya go! Now go get MOTORING!!!

Last edited by MotorMouth; 01-09-2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: found the bulletin and posted details
Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
rjyoder4
2nd Gear
Mr.Atomic,

Welcome to NAM, its nice to have you here,
and I reeeallly hope this can work for you !
You need to be in a MINI, you've waited long enough !
Sounds like MotorMouth has has uncovered a real gem of info ! nice goin !

Please keep us posted, and best of luck !

Old 01-09-2007, 02:54 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Welcome to NAM!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 PM
willum
5th Gear
Mr. Atomic,
There is a NAM member that goes by supergimp and lives in So Cal. He has an '05 MCSa that is set up pretty much the way you are looking to do. Steve is a great guy 'n I've run with him at a number of Phil Wick's DE's. + he has a PW, which I'm partial to. Shoot him a PM...... Good luck to ya..

Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
good luck on the search. any questions you have, feel free to ask in the forums, and anything we can do to help, give us a shout!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
NAM user 'supergimp' (Steve, IIRC) is in LA. He's got an MCSa with hand controls - even had it out at Laguna Seca. Haven't seen him post in a while, but you might try sending him an email.
Good luck!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 PM
KPMINI
4th Gear
Welcome to NAM. As you can see the people here are great. Good job MotorMouth, some great information to have handy. I hope that NAM can help you get in the MINI you have always wanted. Good luck and please keep us posted. I know that NAM has and continues to help this NEWBIE.

- KP

Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Mr.Atomic
Neutral
Wow.

So much fantastic information, from such friendly people, delivered so quickly. I'm grateful to everyone who has replied to my initial post, and happy to be on-board.

MotorMouth -- thank you very much for uncovering the "MINI Mobility Program Bulletin." I've only spoken to one dealer about MINI's reimbursement policy for adaptive driving equipment, and he told me that MINI pays, at most, $500 towards the purchase and installation of hand controls. As I know from experience, the equipment and fitting cost a lot more. On the bright side, the bulletin you cut-and-pasted into this thread suggests that MINI will, in fact, reimburse for all adaptive equipment expenses in some cases. Here's hoping I'm one of them.

To everyone who suggested that I contact Steve/Supergimp -- thank you. I will certainly try to get in touch with him. It's particularly nice to hear that he participates in DE's and trackdays as I'm hoping to do the same and was a bit concerned that hand controls might make me ineligible. I don't want people thinking I'm planning to mimic Steve's path too closely, but I'm also hoping to buy a PW/B MCSa. Dealer markups seem -- at long last -- to be a thing of the past here in Southern California, so I'm shopping across the last of the in-stock 2006's. I thought about waiting for an R56, as the logic of depreciation and advancing technology dictate that a 2007 will be a smarter buy, but I fell in love with the R53 in 2002 and it just seems right that I end up with one. I may be kicking myself in a year or two, but only time will tell.

Several people also contacted me via PM with suggestions and advice -- thank you, as well. I really hope I'm able to purchase a 2006 MCSa, and if I do, the process will be greatly facilitated by the advice I'm receiving on NAM. I'm looking forward to returning the favor at some point.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Topless Blonde
Neutral
Hi Mr. Atomic, my friend GBMiniGirl told me about this thread and I believe she sent you a PM about me... I don't get on here very often because I usually just hang out on Metroplex/HMMS...

Anyway, I'm in a wheelchair and I drive an LY/B MC cabrio. I love my MINI! I totally agree with you about the whole impracticality thing and I'm sure there are people who think I'm nuts for having a MINI... but then again I find that smaller cars actually work better for me (for the way I put my chair in the car). I love sporty cars and refuse to drive a van or anything like that (my last car was a Firebird).

Anyway, there are probably several different ways to put your chair in the car, and of course it changes depending upon the car and the type of chair you have. I have a rigid frame chair. So sitting in the driver seat, I just take apart my chair, push the passenger seat over, and lean my seat back, and throw the body of the chair and then the wheels in back. Done!

Of course, I'm sure you would anyway, but just be sure to try out your system at the dealer in one of their MINIs just to be sure that you don't have any problems (my chair is pretty small so if your chair is a lot bigger than mine you might have to figure something else out). Bring a blanket along if you're worried about scratching the seats in a new car. My system does tend to put some scratches in the plastic in the back seat area.

As for hand controls, well... I have to say that the hand controls for the MINI are a bit more awkward than in other cars I've driven because the MINI is so small (and so are the hand controls). I find my left leg hits the hand control a lot... Anyway, I've gotten used to it, although it can be challenging during autocross when I get my leg stuck under the hand control while I'm trying to give it more gas out of a turn, but I do OK... Of course, if you aren't wearing a prosthesis I guess that won't be an issue for you!

I do a lot of driving events besides autocross - car control events, rallies, etc. No DE's... yet. Anyway, I'm happy to share my experiences with you if you have any other questions. Just send me a PM, or jump on over to metroplex / HMMS and you'll find me on there all the time.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Atomic
...I thought about waiting for an R56, as the logic of depreciation and advancing technology dictate that a 2007 will be a smarter buy, but I fell in love with the R53 in 2002 and it just seems right that I end up with one. I may be kicking myself in a year or two, but only time will tell....
If it makes you feel any better, first year models always tend to have 'teething problems'. Given that it's an all new engine and significantly new interior, you may be avoiding a headache. Also, don't know how MINI will manage the turbo, but personally I prefer the linear boost of the SC. Enjoy the MINI experience - you have been assimilated, resistance is futile.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Xiek
5th Gear
We have a girl in a wheelchair in our club. SOMC

PM sent

Old 07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Chris Chappell
3rd Gear
Just briefly bringing this thread back to life.

Like (TB)Topless Blonde (nice avatar ) I put my chair in the same way. I've only had my MCS for about a month and yes I've put scratches on the passenger seat plastic as well. I'm 5' 11" and also use a rigid / titanium chair that is pretty easy to pop the wheels off, fold the back and pull the entire frame across my chest and into the back.

I agree with TB about the hand controls as well being a little tight. My solution has been to sit "indian" style which allows for a little more travel on the hand control lever. I've also found that utilizing the clutchless steptronic tranny that I can get a lot more pull (torque) out of less hand control acceleration travel plus a lot more fun.

I've got a couple of adapted trucks as well ('03 Tundra and '77 Scout) and have the same hand control setup as the Mini.

Hey, before my accident 7yrs ago, I drove a Honda S2000. I'm thrilled to be back behind the wheel of a true sportscar.

Ultimately, what I've realized is, that if its on the road then it can be modified via hand controls. Its just a matter of time, creativity and $$.

Happy motoring Mr. Atomic I hope that everything goes your way with your Mini.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I have some GREAT news for you. Talk to your MA about this. If he doesn't know what I am talking about tell him to ask his manager. MINI will PAY (once) for the gear that is required for you to operate your (new) MINI. I can't remember the name of the program right now, but you'll have to supply docs to prove your disability and the reciepts for the parts.

edit:

It is called "MINI's Mobility Program" The bulletin number is CRS-11-03-06

Here is the text of the bulletin:

Upon purchase of a new MINI or a MININEXT Certified Pre-owned MINI, disabled customers may qualify for TOTAL reimbursement of vehicle modifications through MINIUSA.

This Sales Program for reimbursement covers all one-time expenses under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, 4-years/50,000 miles, or MININEXT Warranty, 6-years/100,000 miles, during ownership experience.

For reimbursement, MINI requires proof:

-Vehicle purchased from an authorized US MINI dealer.
-Vehicle purchase - a copy of lease or purchase documents.
-Vehicle is registered and operated by the disabled customer - a copy of permit or license.
-Invoice outlining the modifications performed.

If you have any questions contact MINI @ 1-888-275-6464.

There ya go! Now go get MOTORING!!!
The way I read this is they will pay for the install. Hardware is up to you.

Anyway, Supergimp doesn't hang out on NAM anymore. But feel free to head over to http://www.mininuts.com. He is a regular over there. I think right now he is trying to build a racing chair with hand controls for the PS3 F1 game..

Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Chris Chappell
3rd Gear
Oh, one more thing. On Mini's Mobility Program there is a quote indicating:

"Upon the purchase of a new MINI or a MININEXT certified pre-owned MINI, disabled customers may qualify for total reimbursement of vehicle modifications through MINI USA".

For me they did pay for the hardware and installation. The total was $800.

There's more information if anyone needs it @: 1-888-275-6464.

Last edited by Chris Chappell; 07-31-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
andyde
5th Gear
Mr. Atomic, welcome to the NAM.
I think everyone here has already provided good information and hope you are able to jump into that MCSa.

Gotta love this forum