1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I purchase the extra year of full maintenance coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 PM
timmymac67
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I purchase the extra year of full maintenance coverage?

I have an '04 MINI with ~34k miles (~8k to go until 2nd oil service). I just had it in the shop to check out the "fantom stumbling" that never occurs at the dealer. Of course they didn't find it, but did suggest I try running 89 octane for awhile (I live in Delaware). At least I have something to try!

They tried to sell me an extra year of the full maintenance coverage for $500. The front brakes were 7/32, rear brakes at 6/32. They said the brake warning light will go on around 4/32 indicating it's time to replace them. Estimated cost to replace the brakes is ~$500 each for the front and rear. Oil service was quoted at $180.

On paper it makes sense to pay $500 for the coverage instead of $1,180 for the brakes and oil service. I called my local garage and they said they could do the brakes for $130 each, and the oil change for $60.

I guess I'd like to take an informal poll of how many people have purchased the additional year of coverage. In addition, I'd like to hear if people think it is worth it. Do most folks use the dealer to service their cars, or do they do it themselves, or use a local garage? I am not a car tech and don't even think I could find the oil filter.

Lastly, approximately when would the Inspection II need to occur. I have seen one post that it's around 45k miles? If I knew this would be covered by the extended coverage I think it would definitely help me decide.

Sorry for the long post, but it is my first.

Cheers!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did (Oct 2004) so the car would be fully covered on everything during the period in which I have it financed. The additional $499 was not much more on the payment anyway, plus since it's a service it was tax-free.

So no big deal, but then I'm not mechanically inclined, and we dont have very many indy shops, if any besides Webb MS, that work on Minis here.

And I know this: oil service @$180 seems VERY steep. My MINI dealer charges about $65 total, with FREE oil service every year, as long as one goes over a year between changes. Better check this out again.

welcome to NAM, BTW!