1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto or Manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 PM
allenski
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get stuck in traffic a lot using it as my commuter car - so I chose an auto. The "manual mode" with the paddel shifters is fun to drive.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM
MaxfieldMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have got to say that until I spent a fair amount of time with the MINI automatic paddle shift, I would never have touched a stick. . . now, I believe if I were to buy another, it would be the paddle automatic. Especially since traffic is a real issue in Chicagoland and you lose very little/if anything on the twisties.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:34 PM
MaxfieldMini
2nd Gear
OK. . .what I meant to say was I wouldn't have touched an automatic in the new MINI

Old 02-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
My MINI is manual, other two vehicles are autos. As a rule I prefer manuals, having started on a farmall tractor back in about 1958. That was a four speed and you sat to the right of the shifter (like in England). Still, there are good arguments for both.

My SO's knees can't handle pushing a clutch in anymore (she's never driven my MINI), I have also been driving 15 ton trucks for years and believe me, when those went auto I was a happy man. Ditto for whenever I get caught in a slow moving traffic jam, an auto can be pure bliss.

The manual was bliss on my bikes and now on my MINI.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxfieldMini
I have got to say that until I spent a fair amount of time with the MINI automatic paddle shift, I would never have touched a stick. . . now, I believe if I were to buy another, it would be the paddle automatic. Especially since traffic is a real issue in Chicagoland and you lose very little/if anything on the twisties.
But what you cant replace is that all limbs moving at once ina fluid motion going through an extensive set of twisties over 5k RPM. Fact is the computer on it is still too slow when you get to pusshing the limits. In SD or paddles or doing the up down with the lever, a person can still out shift the computer.

The MINI has the best auto I have ever driven but it still hasn't won me over. Plus the drivetrain loss is still quite significant.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Golsco
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Fact is the computer on it is still too slow when you get to pusshing the limits. In SD or paddles or doing the up down with the lever, a person can still out shift the computer.
I found this very true in the MCS, not so much in the MC. I'm sure I'll be considered insane, but because of that fact I thought the MC had more of a snap (maybe more of the illusion would be more realistic) off the line than its bigger counterpart. It was frustrating waiting for the MCS to catch 2nd but once it did it was fine. The MC was much smoother even with the cvt.

I would never consider driving a straight auto ever again. However, I can't wait for my MC auto.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
april4jsd
1st Gear
stick shift of course!!!

MINI shouldn't even make an automatic.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:22 PM
PKAT
2nd Gear
Once tried to count the number of shifts from the time I left home. Could not begin to keep up with the count in just a few miles.
Have driven more than 1,000,000, miles over the years and the simple fact is that the manual can not do better than the modern automatic.

On my Cooper (with CVT) I have a choice to putz around or be on the agressive side if and when it may hit (or be needed).

Fact are this:
1. Come trade in time the auto will bring more and sell easier.
2. It will give you better overall performance to the adverage person.
3. In traffic, it can be a god send.

Pick your posion. This is from someone who has worn out the gear shift on a truck.