1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbee - Track use questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:07 AM
MMMMOTO
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbee - Track use questions

Hello. I am about to buy a 2006 base Mini with a stick shift that I want to use on the race track for drivers education (not racing) events at Road America, Autobahn, and other tracks near Chicago. Can some experienced members give some advise regarding using a new base car for track days....I would plan to get a second set of sticky tires from the Tire Rack, but don't know what else I may need to do to make the car reliable and fun for track days. Are these cars fun on the track? Do they handle and brake well? Also, what organizations run track days for these cars in my area?

Thank you for all feedback and advise.

Mikey

Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Mikey- Be very careful, DE's are extremely addictive. One or two and you're hooked, plotting constantly on how you can get back to the track.

That said, a base MC is perfectly capable of doing DE's. Get a spare set of wheels, good street performance tires; there are plenty of threads here to advise you. Change your brake fluid every spring, and maybe later get some track pads for the front. Get a helmet, and go for it. That's it. Take exceptionally good care of your Cooper and it will do well. Be careful, listen well, and you'll be fine.

Join the BMWCCA chapter in your area, good schools, very safe.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:17 PM
alexwc
Neutral
Keep it simple

Mikey,
I agree. It is very, very addictive and a Cooper will be a great track day car. Try not to listen to those who will inevitabley start telling you to change this and change that on the car. As Bullfrog said, get a second set of wheels with good tires that you don't worry about on the street and get "seat time." Replace brake pads and other things only as they wear.

If you have a chance to do some Autocrossing that will help as well. While it all happens at lower speeds than on tracks, Autocrossing develops important throttle, steering, braking control and placement skills that you need on the larger tracks. The Evolution Autocross schools can be very good for developing such abilities.

Servus!

Alex

Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another Cooper track guy here...

The others are leading you down the right path. The first thing you need to buy is a helmet. The second thing is track time. Then figure out where to go next.

Usually, the next step is better brake fluid and brake pads.

A second set of wheels / tires is nice because you don't have to worry about using up a tire on the track and then trying to get home.

Coopers are great fun on the track. You'll be amazed, and so will other people who think they're "slow".

Autocrossing is a cheaper and safer way to get started than heading straight to the track. Many BMWCCA chapters also do car control clinics / advanced driver skills schools which are parking lot based schools with things like wet skidpads and lane change excercises. Exceptionally good, safe, cheap way to get started.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
You can take your car to the track just as it is. You don't have to do anything. I took my 4 month old MCS to the track with no modifications. But I personally would wait until the break in period is over. The MINI is very capable and ready to go. So I wouldn't worry about it for now. I could keep up with the Corvettes and Porsches in the twisties. And as far as handeling is concerned, the MC is just as capable.

If you decide to get more serious, then you probably want to do some of the things mentioned. I plan on doing 4-5 track days this year, so I am now looking at new wheels/tires, brake fluid, brake pads, and maybe some engine mods. I am signed up for Autobahn in June, so maybe I'll see you there.