1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm new here... and I need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:36 AM
jones'n4aMINI
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new here... and I need your advice

Hey Everybody
So this is my story.

I have wanted a mini for as long as I can remember. I went and test drove one back in the day (7 or so yrs back) and had everything picked out in my head- color, interior and out, etc. But I never got one, being a student and all.

Now a few years later, I am still a student and back in school- grad school, and have been thinking that now is as good a time as any!! Why not live a litte? And get a Mini now before I have kids down the road...
sigh
only thing is, I don't have that much money so I would have to buy a used cooper. HOWEVER- having done my research and read a few threads on here I'm not sure I want to shell out the bucks for a mini that might catch on fire!!

So I need your help and advice.
I have noticed that its mostly the '03's that have the most problems, so I was thinking about an '05...but they still have the CVT's in them...and is it true that the '07's do not have the cvt's and are therefore safer??

what should I do?
Should I try and find a used car that has had the cvt replaced?
Also I am currently driving a beetle with turbo, so the switch would be noticeable and I was thinking I would have to get a cooperS for the pick up I am used to...
Anyway, just want to hear some thoughts on all this.
Let me know if it is worth it, and what year and mileage I should be looking into? THANKS!!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Can't help with the questions (I'm in UK) but welcome to NAM!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
Yes indeedy, welcome and by all means make yourself at home here on NAM

How about a little background info before we delve into the answers? Are you only looking at automatic tranmissions for your future Cooper? Which of the turbo VWs are you driving, and which transmission do you currently have?

Ramblings:
People will tell you right away that you might want to consider a manual transmission, but I do understand. I recently drove the R56 ('07) Cooper with the auto and that is a great engine/transmission combination. That might be 'our' (wife drives autos only) next Cooper (in Clubman and hopefully diesel form)

You can certainly have kids and a MINI too. My little girl loves her MINI (that I happen to drive). It might be a tight fit with two little ones, but that's been done as well.

The CVT is indeed suspect, but quite a few folks on NAM are pretty happy with their CVT experience. I'm sure that they will chime in here double-quick.

I purchased my MCS used and I had to drive 9 cars before I found one at the magic price/condition/options intersection. I bought it the next day and except for one quick trip to the dealer (broken reverse lamp switch), it's been trouble free motoring for 16 months. Buying used was the only way that I could afford the options that I got, so you are on to something with avoiding retail. Start looking/driving as soon as you can!

Again, welcome to NAM and you will not find a more knowlegable source of information on these excellent vehicles.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
jones'n4aMINI
1st Gear
Thanks so much Ron for your response.
I do want an automatic. I can drive a manual, but prefer and automatic.
My Beetle is great, its an '01, periwinkle, automatic, 4 cylinder, Turbo, its a great ride and so the cooper I find will really have to convice me that its worth the change.
Thanks so much for your help so far. Do you have a mini in the racing green? Thats really what I want.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
200-OK
4th Gear
Set your budget and rank your preferences for model year and features/mods/accessories. Sounds like you want an automatic, correct? You may be able to get a MCS, depending on your budget. In that case, CVT isn't an issue. Use the list to help you figure out what is most important to you, as the chances of you finding the exact match are somewhat remote.

Once you do this, then start shopping. You can even post here on the Marketplace (Minis for sale) forum. Post the $$ you are looking to spend also. I've seen some sweet cars sold at very reasonable prices on these forums.

For example, here is one listing a BRG for sale at a great price (it's 6spd however): https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=92172

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
ya i'm not much help w/ this either i'm also New But Welcome 2 Nam!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
jones'n4aMINI
1st Gear
For example, here is one listing a BRG for sale at a great price (it's 6spd however): https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=92172

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the tips. I checked it out, and will keep doing so!
Thanks again!
good to be here!!

Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome! I'd look around for a good MCS w/auto if I was you...

Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM! im glad you decided to live a little. the MINI is the perfect car for you!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
MINI dream

If you've always liked a MINI -- get one! Follow your heart.
I can not help with the auto question. I did start looking at used but just picked up my 07 MCS this evening. My biggest deciding factor was the warrenty -- hope I'll never need it but it's there. An 05 should still have about a year on the bumper to bumper and 2 years on the standard warrenty left.
That might be an added incentive to go for a lower mileage more recent model. You'll pay a bit more but it does provide some peace of mind.
that's my 2 cents.
Good luck and keep this site bookmarked -- it's great. Just remember for every one complaint about anything on here there are hundreds of people not having the problem -- most never have come to this site.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM!! From what I understand some Dealers are giving good discounts on 06s.

06MCS/DS/B

Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jones'n4aMINI
having done my research and read a few threads on here I'm not sure I want to shell out the bucks for a mini that might catch on fire!!

So I need your help and advice.
I have noticed that its mostly the '03's that have the most problems, so I was thinking about an '05...but they still have the CVT's in them...and is it true that the '07's do not have the cvt's and are therefore safer??

what should I do?
Should I try and find a used car that has had the cvt replaced?
Also I am currently driving a beetle with turbo, so the switch would be noticeable and I was thinking I would have to get a cooperS for the pick up I am used to...
I think you need to do some more research!.....the fires have been VERY isolated incidents...like less than a dozen from what I have seen. I think if you looked at even your beetle you will find many instances of fire but all statistically insignifigant......Even the much fussed about ford recall was really initiated over a reletive few incidents (couple hundred) compared the millions of cars on the road.....but every car you will find a handfull of incidents of everything

There has been some reliablity concerns with the CVT but again.....most have held up just fine. there have been alot of replacements done. But, DO NOT get one that has been replaced. My experince is that machines that don't work never will, and machines that do always will until someone jacks with them. Machines are hugely interdependant, one little thing that is seemingly not related at all can cause failure. find a proven car with over 40k on a cvt with no issues at all and you will not have any problems with it. I have not seen many cars just do one tranny replacement and be fine.....If they need one they will take 3 more before they die.....but MOST trannys outlive the engines they are mated too

Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Welcome. And one thing I would like to add, whoch was a surprise to me. A few years back, when I was shopping for a used MINI, I discovered that the best prices were at the MINI dealers! Maybe that has changed now that there is a new model, but worth looking into.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 AM
jones'n4aMINI
1st Gear
Thank everybody.
I have spent the past two days straight looking and reading online about the mini. And this site and all of your feedback has been great. I know about the bettle and possible fires, and I am realistic- my family has a great love for cars but they have also had their share of car problems, that just comes with the territory....and everytime their car is worth it.

As for my quest: I have found a few minis online (3) that fit my ideals. They are just about 2-6 hrs away.
Does anyone have experience on how this works- do I have to drive 6 hrs to test drive the car, or can my local mini dealer arrange something with the other dealer and have the car brought to me.

I know dealerships will bend over backwards- we experienced this when we went shopping for my boyfriend's subaru this past fall. A few dealerships promised bringing in the car he wanted, but some gave us the line that they needed a $100 deposit to do so. Is this standard? or were they just taking us for a ride?

just wonderng about this.
thanks so much everyone!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
I sure do have a BRG and it's great. I think that it's the perfect color for the car...and my classic was just the same (BRG with white roof, mirrors and stripes). Do a serach for the BRG thread to see pics of a lot of beautiful cars.
I had a 2000 Beetle TDI and loved that car a lot - I got 56 mpg on my trips to Florida! A great cruiser, too bad the VW service aspect sucked so bad.

It sounds like you are starting out the shopping phase. You really should drive as many cars as you can, so yes, to check out the car you will have to go visit the dealership or have a NAM contact go and test drive the car for you. They can take pictures and drive the car, and then you will have a better idea whether its worth the drive to check it out yourself. Let me know if you want me to look at one in the Detroit area! Go drive some locally so that you know what you are looking for, things like vibrations or noises, how accessories work, etc. You will learn about MINIs and if it's BF driving he might learn a bit too. Have him drive the manual transmission cars You might just be a 2 MINI couple before you know it.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 PM
jones'n4aMINI
1st Gear
Thanks Ron,
I did what you suggested and posted on the carolinas club area to see if someone could test drive it for me. I will let you know how that goes!!

Here's the site, let me know what you think. its a bit past my budget, but according to KBB- etc its a great deal. I just can't see who would want to give it up, unless they were after an '07!?!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...tic&max_price=

there is another one right outside of NYc, but w/out the wht roof, its an '05S for a bit more than this '06.... hmmmm
let me know what you think?

thanks!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Merkursport
4th Gear
That looks really nice jones'n. I do miss the heated seats that my Freelander had, but it's really only cold for a minute...the good thing about the leatherette is that it will still look great in a couple of years. My seats still look good but are starting to get that patina of age. The price is OK, and perhaps they will deal a little bit on the car. I hope that someone down there can check this one out for you. I guarentee that coming from the Beetle you will feel like the MINI is a slot car! Good luck on the search

Old 03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Loui
4th Gear
I have an 03 late build that has been trouble free. Get a report from Car Fax and look to buy from a reputable dealer, a MINI Dealer. As for CVT it's not my cup of tea, but if you are unwilling to use a 5 or 6 speed then go for it. There were some subtle, but positive changes from 05 on so if the budget stretches this far then I would go in this direction.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Orca
2nd Gear
finish with school..make some real money...and get a Mini when you have the cash flow for it.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 PM
jones'n4aMINI
1st Gear
Old 03-10-2007, 12:19 PM
jones'n4aMINI
1st Gear
Man I guess, no one got the wet blanket, joke, huh?

I'm appreciative of all the feedback, but my initial question was not weither I should get a mini to begin with, but which one and etc. I have my own set of parents that I can get the "wet blanket advice" from if I choose to ask for it.

BTW, I have figured out the financing and I have a trade in as well, so cash flow is not an issue. I wouldn't put myself in a situation that would force me to live in my mini.
Thanks for the welcome....