1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Invisible mask

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
silverbullet S
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invisible mask

Hello everyone, just bought a mini and love it. I was looking into putting on a 3M product that protects the front end, mirrors, and hood from rocks, bugs and other things that might kick up and ding the paint. My question is has anyone tried to put on this product? The dealer wants $800.00 to do the job. Looked online and found the 3M product for about $200.00. If you've installed it is it easy? Is the product worth getting? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello and congrats on your purchase, sb S !

There are TONS of threads on the subject. Just use the search tool, but use the term "clearbra" or "clear bra".

You'll find varying opinions on the use of a clear bra but the vast majority of those of us who have had one installed feel it was one of the best decisions we've made on our MINIs.

$800 is not unreasonable, albeit on the high end of the scale for an installation. For that price, you should be getting computer imaging and cutting and you should get coverage that includes the bumper, well up the bonnet, the side mirrors, headlights, and door edges. Basically, everything on the front end but chrome and the black trim around the valance.

You can find an installer to do it for less, but there's some horror stories out there regarding botching up the paint finish. Be careful when selecting your installer !

Self-installation... I didn't try it. From what I hear, it can be done but it's tedious and difficult. Something like this, IMO, is best left to a professional.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 AM
dadofTHOR
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local dealer wanted to include it as part of the "protection package". They were cahrging $900 and it wasn't negotiable( I ended up buying from another dealer,btw). Ryan at Auto Paint Guard (www.autopaintguard.com)
is a NAM vendor and he sells the kit for around $250. If you're lucky enough to llve in the Tampa area, he installed it for $480, parts/labor. I watched him do it and I'm a pretty handy guy, but it would have taken me ALOT longer. There is a definite technique that comes with experience. Bottom line, I would contact Ryan and maybe he knows someone local to you that will do it for much less than the dealer.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Don't do it yourself. My installer was a pro but had never done a MINI before...did not do a good job. A few rough edges and bad seems. I was not happy.

2) My Dealer quoted $800 as well (standard price for the company that provides it) but instantly dropped it $100 because "it's such a small car"

No regrets except that it goes over the bonnet stripes (my stripes were forgotten and I had to arrange to take the car back and have them applied at the dealer...wish I had done the Bra first)...if you want to change your stripes you'll have to lose or replace your bra (unless you stripes are big enough and in the same location to cover the old ones...not sure I'd recommend that though)