1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie w/ a Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 AM
lilliux
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie w/ a Classic

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, I have a 1991 Mini Cooper. I have already had to replace the front wheel bearings and cv shaft as well as the radiator, I've had the car a whole three weeks . But, that is the reason I bought it.

Since I am writing I have a few questions. I have a pretty good grasp of automechanics as it is, but find myself in alien territory at times with my little bundle of joy. How exactly is the heater supposed to work? I know a dumb question, but I am a little confused by the blue and red arrows on the cable. At the same time, the heater never even turned on before... Then this morning I turned it on to see what it would do after having a decent radiator put in(you don't even want to know what type of condition the old one was in). And it started blowing hot air, but then it stopped and wouldnt blow any more air, that was until I started moving and then it started pushing the outside air in even though all the switches were off. I think if I flush the system, it might start working, or maybe replace the blower and heater coil.

Thanks for the help, and I will get some pics up soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Nechesmini
2nd Gear
Welcome!

Can't help you out with your questions but I can say hi. Looking forward to the pictures. I keep askng my husband if I can get get a classic but he keeps saying NO! Says something about him not being a mechanic. I keep telling him I could learn!! Happy rebuilding.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:15 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Welcome to NAM!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 AM
lilliux
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Nechesmini
I keep askng my husband if I can get get a classic but he keeps saying NO! Says something about him not being a mechanic. I keep telling him I could learn!! Happy rebuilding.
My boyfriend let me buy it, I think he is regretting it . And you should learn, there is nothing sexier than a chick covered in grease, so I've been told . In fact, I just taught my boyfriend how to do his own oil changes

Old 03-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Two things

Originally Posted by lilliux
My boyfriend let me buy it, I think he is regretting it . And you should learn, there is nothing sexier than a chick covered in grease, so I've been told . In fact, I just taught my boyfriend how to do his own oil changes
a) might want to move this to the classic forum.... and for an additional source you may want to get to know the forums at MiniMania.com

b) getting info for a 91 in the US can be difficult given that technically speaking the car is illegal. A Mini must be 25 yoa or older to be imported legally. so this is a re-vin? no matter - the technical knowledge of the later Mini models with SPI etc is limited bacause there were none sold here. The Mini's that are older than 25 years are very simple & your basic Brit familiar mechanic has probably seen or worked on one. Introduce a 90's computer chip into the equation and it becomes a sticky wicket. doesn't apply to a heater question really, but you get the point....all the books I have, don't refer to a heater control that looks like what you describe (I've a '79)

sorry 'bout that.

Google Mini and you can find UK pages and I'd recommend getting a subscription to MiniWorld .... which may be on your Barnes & Noble rag rack too......

Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 PM
bart5467
4th Gear
Cant be any Help But Welcome 2 NAM!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:44 PM
lilliux
3rd Gear
Sorry about that... Originally I am from Northern California, Fort Bragg to be exact. But, right now I live in Germany, it is very hard to find anything in English and my German isn't quite up to par yet. By the time I make it back home she should be legal.