1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Seeking Info. on JCW Tuning Kit, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 AM
BobinPhilly
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member Seeking Info. on JCW Tuning Kit, etc.

Good morning, Everyone. Though I'm not yet an R56 owner, I've recently test driven two 2007 MCS's and, as a result, have convinced myself fully that I will definitely own one in the future.

The purpose of this thread is to learn of your experiences with, and seek your advice about, previous versions of the JCW tuning kit. I've been told (by both of the dealers I spoke with) that the JCW tuning kit for the new R56 engine will not be fully available until the 2008 model year, at which time it will produce 230 hp and a comparable amount of increased torque. I was also told that a Stage I JCW kit with improved air cleaner and exhaust, but no engine modifications, will be avilable later this year and produce as much as 205 hp.

My questions are:

1. Is the increased power of the JCW tuning kit truly discernible when driving?

2. Do the JCW upgraded suspension and brakes truly improve the handling of a MCS when driving aggressively and, if so, how much harsher is the ride likely to be on city streets that are in poor condition?

3. What are your thoughts about the effectiveness and/or the looks of the JCW aero body kit and boy-racer-like rear spoiler vs. the standard aero body kit and spoiler?

4. If I opt to wait for the availability of the full JCW kit before ordering an R56, should I also get 18" wheels and tires and, if so, which of the JCW 18"ers, if any, are forged rather than cast, i.e., which are considered "best?"

5. In your experience, has the not insignificant cost of a full JCW kit, etc., given you enough extra peformance and pleasure that you'd do it, again?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me with any (or all) of the above.

Bob in Philly
, but

Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BobinPhilly
The purpose of this thread is to learn of your experiences with, and seek your advice about, previous versions of the JCW tuning kit.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me with any (or all) of the above.
1. Is the increased power of the JCW tuning kit truly discernible when driving?

Yes. 42 HP difference is pretty big on a 167bhp car ... 25% increase

2. Do the JCW upgraded suspension and brakes truly improve the handling of a MCS when driving aggressively and, if so, how much harsher is the ride likely to be on city streets that are in poor condition?

Yes. However, its the opposite of why you think. It felt far softer than the stock suspension over bumps. Dunno why but it did.

3. What are your thoughts about the effectiveness and/or the looks of the JCW aero body kit and boy-racer-like rear spoiler vs. the standard aero body kit and spoiler?

Bling.I personnally would not waste money on it but if you like bling, its your personal taste. Not just for JCW but all aero kits.

4. If I opt to wait for the availability of the full JCW kit before ordering an R56, should I also get 18" wheels and tires and, if so, which of the JCW 18"ers, if any, are forged rather than cast, i.e., which are considered "best?"

Forged is better than cast. Which is best? Dunno. May ppl do not like 18" wheels ... depends upon your personal preference. Car for the street, Autox will be much different. Track days? Depends upon your use.

Many ppl are concerned about weight. Bigger the wheels usually means more unsprung weight.

5. In your experience, has the not insignificant cost of a full JCW kit, etc., given you enough extra peformance and pleasure that you'd do it, again?

A very tough question.If you do some research, you will read many threads about JCW being "crap". The bottom line here is that its expensive. Aftermarket tuners are able to produce more HP for much less money. But there are trade-offs. Go aftermarket and your own your own. MINI may or may not fix it under warranty. Some dealers wont touch your car. If something breaks, who are you going to take it to be fixed if the tuner is many miles away? On the hand, a lot cheaper and more HP. Benefits of JCW is it fully tested and all parts integrated to work together so smoother. Warranty work at any MINI dealer. Downside is cost.

Now this is the Supercharged car. With the R56, it is not clear yet that aftermarket tuners can get to 230 bhp. Need to wait and see. I do not believe any aftermarket vendor has any go fast parts for it yet.

For me personally, it depends upon your use of the car. My car the wife drove. I do NOT want it to break EVER. I dont care about it being the "fastest" MINI around, since it was, and in the future ... WILL be, my wife's daily driver. So, yes, I would go JCW again. However, that said, first thing I did was dump the JCW Catback and bought a Borla Race. I'd probably do the same thing, but a better Catback. I would NOT dump a ton of money in modding a MINI ever again other than the cost of the car.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice summary, Chows. With JCW just go for the perf. basics, no bling. The smaller the wheels the better.

one reason R56 is off my radar for the time being is waiting to see what BMW M tuners do with it now that they own JCW. 230 HP with that torquey engine in (latest I'd heard)1.8 litre version?

Better consider awd to negate that torque steer.... That'd be almost unfair