1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "MINI owners must wave" phenomena

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:16 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it's always a wave and not a flash of the lights?

I think it's any acknowledgement at all. In my 6 months of ownership I've gotten waves, flashes, head nods, a tip of the hat from one guy, a thumbs up, and the peace sign.

The wave seems most common though....and I will gladly wave back.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:23 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RhinoBob
So it's always a wave and not a flash of the lights? I owned a TR-6 in the 70's and the Triumphs always flashed or waved to each other. It was the shared experience, just as the motorcycle thing tends to be. And if, probably when, I order that Mini, I'll extend that greeting to other Mini drivers. If they're not part of the experience, that's their problem.
But ya gotta admit the '70s were a whole lot different than today, both socially and technologically.

Back then, if you drove a British sports car, or rode a British bike or a Harley, you were a part of an experience that had you truly bonded with your vehicle or else you could just forget it because no one who wasn't bonded with their B or 6 or Midget or Spitfire or Bonneville or Lightning or Commando or FL or XL would keep it due to the constant maintenance they required.

When you saw another one of these like-minded fanatics on the street, you waved because you both knew what was required, and how dedicated you hadda be, to keep your vehicle alive. It was a point of honor, a total commitment that all owners of such vehicles understood.

These days, anyone with a credit card can walk into a Triumph/Harley/MINI dealership and purchase a machine that, for the most part, only requires you to stick the key in, turn it, and go. All that adversity that existed 30 years ago just to keep a vehicle running is gone, and with it, a mindset that only some of us older motorhead types understand.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does diminish the bonding one is capable of with a vehicle that is like a spoiled kid or woman (sorry: mate), always needing your time and attention to keep it happy.

Zip

Old 04-08-2007, 05:06 PM
TwistySister
4th Gear
I try to flash my lights and then wave. I figure I'll get their attention with the lights so they can see the wave. I mean, they may be motoring and in their own little (MINI) world and not even see me. My car isn't subtle, but, there is a lot to watch for when driving around town. I am sure I miss seeing alot of other MINIs while I am trying to avoid the crazy drivers. Yesterday on my way back from the MadisonMINIs spring drive I saw two and gave them both a flash of my lights and a wave. I got response from one for sure. I was past the other so fast I couldn't tell. Even if I don't see them wave I like to feel like I'm helping to spread happiness. Afterall, it also makes me happy to wave at them!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:52 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
I'll flash my lights if distance prevents waving, but otherwise I'm of the opinion that flashing one's lights can be misinterpreted, especially if there are other cars around.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
I'll flash my lights if distance prevents waving, but otherwise I'm of the opinion that flashing one's lights can be misinterpreted, especially if there are other cars around.
Yes, everyone will be looking around to see where the police are.

In Idaho, we used to flash our windshield wipers: when it was dry out. Too wet in Oregon to do that.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sowellman
In Idaho, we used to flash our windshield wipers: when it was dry out.
Oh that would never work for me! I hate the little dirt lines that are left at the end of the wipers swing.

I wave whenever I can! And I throw up the 'Hey, Sexy' Motoring Card when I get the chance (even to non-MINI's, is that allowed?)

Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
And I throw up the 'Hey, Sexy' Motoring Card when I get the chance (even to non-MINI's, is that allowed?)

Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 AM
RhinoBob
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper

These days, anyone with a credit card can walk into a Triumph/Harley/MINI dealership and purchase a machine that, for the most part, only requires you to stick the key in, turn it, and go. All that adversity that existed 30 years ago just to keep a vehicle running is gone, and with it, a mindset that only some of us older motorhead types understand.

Zip
Though there are some good memories, I do not live in the past. I love new technology. That's how I see the great R53/R56 debate. Greetings evolve, too. The biker salute of the 70's was a clenched fist in the air. Now the Harley greeting is the low wave.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, everyone will be looking around to see where the police are.

In Idaho, we used to flash our windshield wipers: when it was dry out. Too wet in Oregon to do that.
Is that what it was?? I just thought y'all were stupid.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
mrweasel
3rd Gear
Noobie here and I wav all the time. I think those who aren't aware of the wave-thing just look at me like I'm insane...although most people do that anyway.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
loadtoad
3rd Gear
Though there are some good memories, I do not live in the past. I love new technology. That's how I see the great R53/R56 debate. Greetings evolve, too. The biker salute of the 70's was a clenched fist in the air. Now the Harley greeting is the low wave.
Real bikers still do the clenched fist... you must be a RUB... haha

Old 04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by loadtoad
Real bikers still do the clenched fist... you must be a RUB... haha
Do you mean 'rube' as in country bumpkin or hick

I guess there are a lot of rubes here since almost all motorcyclists acknowledge each other with a wave or nod of some sort but I've never seen a fist unless its gesturing towards some car

(Funny thing, if there is any controversy I've seen about it on moto forums it is about Harley riders snubbing other riders and/or being jerky to them.)

Last edited by eVal; 04-09-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM
RhinoBob
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
I guess there are a lot of rubes here since almost all motorcyclists acknowledge each other with a wave or nod of some sort but I've never seen a fist unless its gesturing towards some car
Nah. RUB is one of those put-down terms meaning "rich urban biker." But considering the dig came from my son, I'll deal with him later. Cut off his allowance, maybe? Ha! Last laugh!

Old 04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Nah. RUB is one of those put-down terms meaning "rich urban biker." But considering the dig came from my son, I'll deal with him later. Cut off his allowance, maybe? Ha! Last laugh!

Ah, never heard that one before - I think suburban would be more accurate for this area since I'd hazard city riders are less likely to fall into that category, but RSB isn't as catchy

Back to Minis, sadly I've really cut back on the waving since its so rare for any acknowledgement and its just no fun to make the effort to catch up and try to engage someone only to be rebuffed. The number of Mini drivers I see with the ol cell phone plastered to the head is offputting as well - really, for the most part the Mini has become so common here that a large % of owners are just not connected that way and it is simply basic transportation. I imagine that with increased production on the R56 this will be the case even more since there will simply be more on the road here and everywhere.

Last edited by eVal; 04-09-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:52 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Okay, I've been making a renewed effort to wave and am frustrated - so far no woman ever wave back, of those that respond only guys seem to acknowledge the wave or flash, and zero new Mini drivers have (part of that may be that most R56s I've seen have had woman drivers). Is this just around here or anyone else noticing this?

Old 04-26-2007, 04:17 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
I've only seen two R56s on the road, and I've gotten two waves/forms of acknowledgment. One was a middle-aged gentleman and the other was a lady with a "NICE SMILE".

Old 04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
kendrick87
2nd Gear
When you buy a MINI you basically have two options-

1) Wave at other MINIs

OR

2) Flip off every car that ISN'T a MINI

Take your pick.....

Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kendrick87
2) Flip off every car that ISN'T a MINI

That's not very nice.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I didn't get any coolaide with my MINI. I did get some ugly air bag stickers, and a plastic box around my roof controls. Should I talk to my MA no,wait, that was the womb . . . TA, no, that was Physics . . . RA, errr, my girlfriends dorm . . .damn that drop from the window! Hmm, I guess I'll never get the coolaide. Hey, where did everybody go?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
RA, errr, my girlfriends dorm . . .damn that drop from the window!

I solved that problem by dating the RA! What was she going to do, write herself up because she wanted me to stay the night?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
MrsTune
2nd Gear
Y'know, I thought about that and the answer to my own questioning of that "phenomena" as you put it is that Mini's aren't just a brand of car, it IS the car.

Sure, there's Coopers, Cooper S's, and turbos... however it's essentially the same Make and style and we are the ONLY car like that. Other car brands are just brands. Mini is the brand, the lifestyle, and the whole shabang!!

It's not a "must" that people wave, but it's definitely always fun, like a secret handshake or something between friends of an exclusive, Mini club!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Sadly, I've really cut back on the waving since its so rare for any acknowledgement and its just no fun to make the effort to catch up and try to engage someone only to be rebuffed.
I think that's one of those things where you have to do it for your own reasons. If you expect everyone to wave and they don't, then you've set yourself up for disappointment.

I've told myself I'm going to wave at every Mini I meet and if they wave back, that's great. If not, I haven't lost anything. And maybe some of those who don't wave will reconsider the next time they meet another Mini driver.

I'm two for three in this, my first week of R56 ownership. The third one didn't see me, so I excused her.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:46 PM
MINI Jackpot
3rd Gear
Confucius say he or she who waves has MINI friends...

Old 04-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by k7fdn7sg
Confucius say he or she who waves has MINI friends...
Very punny.

I have to say, I was confused by this thread when it started. John, you know, all Oregonians wave at each other, no matter what they're driving. Interesting that people from other states aren't as friendly inclined.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:14 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...In Idaho, we used to flash our windshield wipers: when it was dry out. Too wet in Oregon to do that.
Before I was born, my parents had one of the first VW Bugs. Everyone waved at each other. But there were times they would think flashing the lights would be good, and hit the wipers instead. Very funny for the other person.

We had a Lexus for awhile. The detached comfort and feeling of superiority, plus lack of history for the make, never was condusive to waving.

Now... wave damit!!!!

p.s.: when you are out in the sticks around here, everyone waves. Never know when you could break down, and you want good people to find you.

Last edited by 89AKurt; 04-27-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: The "MINI owners must wave" phenomena