1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "MINI owners must wave" phenomena

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:13 PM
brutefarse
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper

These days, anyone with a credit card can walk into a Triumph/Harley/MINI dealership and purchase a machine that, for the most part, only requires you to stick the key in, turn it, and go. All that adversity that existed 30 years ago just to keep a vehicle running is gone, and with it, a mindset that only some of us older motorhead types understand.

Zip
The new mini has adversities too!!! Crack windshield, early clutch replacements, Ford F150 pickups... That's why I wave to my fellow Mini Brethrens any chance I get.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zipper, you got a good point. But, when I get into something stupid, I usually try to keep quiet about it. I don't wave at other idiots who also got snared. For me, the wave is because the MINI is undeniably unique and it is nice when I come across someone who enjoys the same unique thing I do.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Redcoat
2nd Gear
Wow, it must be different near "civilization", I see maybe one other MINI a month. If I'm lucky. Usually its the same person, and I usually don't relize they were there until they pass me. And I'm like, DOH! I didn't get my hand up to wave.

I'm used to it really, in my '75 bug we all wave, and when I'm out on the motorcycle I always wave, even to the Harely guys. (Even though they usually ignore me)

Old 04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Because we are a cult!!! Now, drink the koolaide.
Good 1

Old 04-28-2007, 01:40 AM
kendrick87
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit

That's not very nice.
Yeah I was kind of implying in a sarcastic way that it's cool to do the whole wave thing...

Old 04-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 89AKurt
p.s.: when you are out in the sticks around here, everyone waves. Never know when you could break down, and you want good people to find you.
I miss that from my town in Idaho. We had one-finger waves from the steering wheel. Full hand up, no movement waves. All wrist, one-pass waves. And more enthusiastic ones.

Here, in western Oregon, the only people who wave are the Mini drivers.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:07 AM
korby
6th Gear
My brother lives in east Washington state almost all drivers wave!

Old 04-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
OK kids... this is from The Book of Motoring (created by MINI when they introduced the MINI here in the US):

The MINI Family

Dating back to its birth in the UK, there's a long-standing tradition of MINI owners acknowledging each other when the pass on the streets. The moment you first sat in your MINI, you became a member. So when you pass another MINI, don't be shy. Give them a wave. It could be as subtle as raising an index finger off the steering wheel or as enthusiastic as two hands out the sunroof (although it probably would be best if these were passenger hands). Just be friendly. Be a motorer.

Well put, I'd say. Some would say it's 'just marketing'. I say it's brilliant marketing. But good marketing captures the essence of a group or 'audience'.

I'd say 'they' did a great job because the MINI community...family...IS part of having a MINI. Personally, I love all the 'non-car' things about having a MINI. Who knew a 'car' could change my life? My life IS different...driving is now motoring which IS a MINI experience...a MINI mindset. MINIs make me smile...they make others smile...and wonder...and ask questions...they are a reason for us to connect. Ding-ding!

That's it! Waving is a way to connect with others, period. And why not connect with a fellow motorer...a fellow human?

I, for one, ALWAYS wave...even when I'm not in my MINI. My SO says "They don't know you have a MINI." But I don't mind, its MY pleasure.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Richard Korby
My brother lives in east Washington state almost all drivers wave!
That's why there was a movement once to carve out a new state from eastern Washington, eastern Oregon and part of Idaho. All made from the same cloth.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:53 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got another wave from a crotch rocket rider on 89A this week.
Not sure if that meant "it looks like you won't oversteer into me" or "I wish my buddy would get the hint."

Old 04-28-2007, 08:54 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I think you'll find that the more congested with people an area is, the less likely there will be any sort of acknowledgment between people. Didja ever see that seen in 'Crocodile Dundee' the first time he is walking up a Manhattan avenue, and he saying his 'g-day's to people. That's kind of an extreme example, but it gets the point across.

Zip

Old 04-28-2007, 09:04 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrsTune
Sure, there's Coopers, Cooper S's, and turbos... however it's essentially the same Make and style and we are the ONLY car like that. Other car brands are just brands. Mini is the brand, the lifestyle, and the whole shabang!!
Well, I gotta say, the Mini is not the only car like that- when I first got my E46 we'd acknowledge each other (before there were a million of them, same issue with the Mini now that there are loads of them), also the M Coupe/Z3 clan did, I just read a whole thread about Porsche drivers waving to each other and I'm sure other car owners that are enthusiasts do too. Actually, before the new Mini was here I think the Miata was the definition of the newer mass marketed niche 'lifestyle' marketed car and others have followed (ie New Beetle, PT Cruiser) - BMW with Mini happens to have done a great job with the ads and tapping into the retro appeal.

In any case, all enthusiasts love the object of their affection, and with hope I'll run into more of them around here when I'm out and waving

Last edited by eVal; 04-28-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:58 PM
MINIFiredancer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Because we are a cult!!! Now, drink the koolaide.
I will take mine with ice... pleeeaazzzze

Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Methius
2nd Gear
I'll chime in on this one...

As an avid motorcycle rider, I have grown up with "the wave"... in fact, when I first started riding, i would be offended if I didn't get "the wave" in return!

Now that I have also joined the realm of motorhood, I welcome the chance to exchange waves without taking my hand off the handlebars

Whether or not someone waves back, is completely irrelevant to me... I wave because it makes me happy to drive a Mini, and I guess deep down I hope that the person i wave at feels the same way about their mini. So many people buy cars to get from A to B and never really think about how much time they are actually spending in their car. If you have ever seen the movie "Cars", you know what I mean. It does a great job of depicting how I feel about my cars...

I am a motorist, and i will continue to solute my fellow motorists! (whether they know they are motorists or not)

Old 05-02-2007, 01:03 PM
laughbuddha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Methius
Whether or not someone waves back, is completely irrelevant to me... I wave because it makes me happy to drive a Mini
I love your attitude! I think this thread needs to be combined with the crazy racer thread (the one where people ask why everyone tries to race them in their mini). The reason why I flog my 94 Nissan to catch up to Minis is to look at them!

Old 05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
FlyingSmiley
2nd Gear
I still smile every time I see a nother MINI, and usually wave even though it is hardly ever returned. To day I thought I found a great parking space, in between an 07 MC and MCS !! I pulled in as a woman was getting out of the S and when I smiled all I got was a crazy look as she practically ran away. Oh well I still got to check out 2 R56s

Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 PM
dix
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Redcoat
Wow, it must be different near "civilization", I see maybe one other MINI a month. If I'm lucky. Usually its the same person, and I usually don't relize they were there until they pass me. And I'm like, DOH! I didn't get my hand up to wave.

I'm used to it really, in my '75 bug we all wave, and when I'm out on the motorcycle I always wave, even to the Harely guys. (Even though they usually ignore me)
I try to wave, but sometimes another Mini driver zooms right by without a wave from a fellow Mini lover. That is just so wrong of me!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 PM
dix
6th Gear
To answer the Must wave to other Minis ques.....IT"S THE MINI LAW!! YOU"VE GOT TO DO IT!! Nam writes tickets to those who dis-obey the almighty Mini-Wave Law.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
On Saturday, a local group of Mini owners drove over to the coast and back. On the trip back, we had a stretch where there were only three Minis in a row. We passed a couple of 1960s generation Corvettes. Both drivers waved to all three of us.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Minisizd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Methius
Whether or not someone waves back, is completely irrelevant to me... I wave because it makes me happy to drive a Mini, and I guess deep down I hope that the person i wave at feels the same way about their mini. So many people buy cars to get from A to B and never really think about how much time they are actually spending in their car. If you have ever seen the movie "Cars", you know what I mean. It does a great job of depicting how I feel about my cars...

I am a motorist, and i will continue to salute my fellow motorists! (whether they know they are motorists or not)
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Wow, many local Mini drivers surely think I'm crazy at this point. For months now, while trying to consider a Mini, I've been checking out all the Minis, waving, passing them to get a view from my rear view, letting them pass me to get a different view. I got some really weird looks, but most figured it out that I was harmless and checking out their cars. All this was from the driver or passager seat of a Shelby GT500. Some thought I wanted to race and I even had a little fun with them. I did get ignored also, but still got a close up of their Mini anyway.

When mine arrives mid August, I'll be the one proudly waving away to any and all of the Minis I encounter. I've waited too long for this adventure to let a nonwaver get me down.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Reverend Heat
1st Gear
the wave

I have a few weeks left till I get my Mini. I am a little undecided about the wave.

I have problems of joining a group/cult. But I do like kool-aid.