1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Just picked up my 11' Countryman S from the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 PM
TunaBall
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inimini2007
I am also using a no holes license bracket holder because I do not want to drill any holes in the front for the license plate (NJ requires front and back plates).
Yeah, Oregon too. With my 03' I was able to tell them that I was going to install the front plate at home and I didn't want the holes in the bumper and they were cool with it. Hmmm. You know I still need to get around to that...

Hoping that will work with this one. I'd rather risk the ticket than have the goofy looking plate on the front. Worst case I'll have to buy a no holes bracket to take it home...

Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
03mini-S

The invisishield will be done by the company that my dealer uses and from what my husband tells me he thinks the company uses 3M. This will be the first countryman they will be doing. Have seen their work on the other minis and I couldn't tell at all that clear bra was on the car. Also, glad to talk to another Philly Mini member and hope to meet at the yearly meeting next year.

TunaBall

You are going to love the Black on Black combo. I highly recommend getting that no holes bracket holder for the license plate for the front. I hope this works on this car also. The car looks so much better without nothing in the front if you ask me but NJ just loves to give those tickets. I just have to call my MA tomorrow morning to remind him to not drill any holes in the front.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
TunaBall
3rd Gear
Interesting update on the front license plate from the dealer. "Also, via notice from the police department and DMV, and due to risk of fine for our dealership, we have to visually see the bracket before we can release the car."

So looks like I get to buy a bracket for the privilege of them not putting holes in my bumper.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FiremanMike
I will sub title this as ALMOST picked up!
I had a call and was sent the pix of our Countryman just after unloading today at the dealership, we will get it Wednesday !!
Fireman, that's looking really good! I still have a hard time grasping the overall massing of the R60 relative to my MINI etc but I LOVE the way the scuttle section is handled, the front maw, and the handy 4-doors. Good stuff!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TunaBall
Interesting update on the front license plate from the dealer. "Also, via notice from the police department and DMV, and due to risk of fine for our dealership, we have to visually see the bracket before we can release the car."

So looks like I get to buy a bracket for the privilege of them not putting holes in my bumper.
Where do you get the bracket? Can you post it.. I HATE that our BMW had the holes in it from the get go... Ugh..

Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Well the wait is almost over. We will picking up the countryman on Friday.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Old 12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got home with the Countryman after the 4 hr drive from Naperville...all of you will LOVE it! It is so much like my 02 S in feel and response but then it is so absolutely different. Firm but responsive ride, not bouncy nor wallowing, it absorbs the bumps.
I stayed under 4k RPM but saw 75 mph, I will give it an easy break in then ramp it up, keeps the wife happy. MPG averaged 30, instant was in the 35-37 on the flats at 70, dropped to 21 going up a hill.
Sad to say I killed it twice, the exhaust is nicely muted while my 02 has a louder system so I hear the pipes very clearly. The 6 speed is much improved over mine, smoother shifter action, very nice.
We have the full Nav/Sat Radio/Connected system, I like it but need to study the books a bit more. Most concerns revolve around setting the systems up, navigating the menu to the right place and such. I agree that the Nav screen is a bit to bright and need to dim it.
We have the standard radio, not HK, and the sound is just fine, hooked the IPOD into the system and it also sounds great.
The ambient lighting is awsome, the red inserts we have in the doors are lit along with the Center Rail and look is outstanding!
We have a jack in a neat bag with the tools. I did not order the flat floor, $250 is a bit much.
We have ordered full mats, Bonnet stripes and mud flaps, the acces. lists have just been released to the parts folks but may take a bit to arrive.
Fit and finish are MINI standard, great!
I was able to give the All4 a small test at a DQ parking lot, snow and ice covered most of it. I put it in 1st and we just went! No spin, no sliding, just point and go, I am looking foward to this weekend snow for more 'testing'.
I have talked to Dave at GOMINIGO about the front plate bracket and will get him pix and dimensions in the next couple of days. The tow hook is larger than a 2 dr Cooper, it did not thread into the front of a car in the dealership. I had asked that the front bracket not be installed and they did not.
I can not say enough about the staff at Bill Jacobs in Naperville, they met and exceeded all expectations.

Again, You Will Love The COUNTRYMAN

Mike

Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mike, thanks for the thorough report and congrats on your status as the very first Countryman All4 owner in the State of Iowa.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Been looking forward to your post Mike. Thanks for the write-up. Glad to hear your initial report is so positive.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Mike, that story about the snow makes me want an All4 countryman even more! Arghhhh

Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 PM
TunaBall
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jhendrix1
I noticed today that the Mini Connected app is not yet AVLB in the app store in iTunes, anybody have any insight on this?
Still no word on the US release on the MINI Connected iPhone app. Although MINI USA seems to enjoy sending the link to the European store.

My daughter is in France so I asked her for her iTunes login and I got the app today. So far it only does RSS, Twitter, and web radio. So hopefully they are planning on releasing the US app with all the new features they keep talking about.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 PM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
I forgot to add one thing,
Upon shut down in the garage, a motor continued to run for almost 5 minutes, I think it is part of the Turbo due to the sound location. Does any '10/'11 model owner of these 1.6 Prince engines know what this could be? I figure either fan cooling or oil pumping, more reading ahead.
Thanks for the comments, I am just thrilled with the vehicle.
Mike

Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I forgot to add one thing,
Upon shut down in the garage, a motor continued to run for almost 5 minutes, I think it is part of the Turbo due to the sound location. Does any '10/'11 model owner of these 1.6 Prince engines know what this could be? I figure either fan cooling or oil pumping, more reading ahead.
Thanks for the comments, I am just thrilled with the vehicle.
Mike
That's exactly what it is. It's a pump that continues to run for a bit to cool the turbo. It's normal.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 AM
days-like-this
4th Gear
CONGRATS MIKE!!! Are you going to throw snow tires on yours? What do you think about the red cloth/leather seat quality? I love how yours looks on the interior. Nice choice!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bet it grab attention everywhere

Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 AM
TruMini
3rd Gear
Congratulations Mike!

How many times did you go back to the garage to look at it after you got home?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
My Dealership does sell the MINI Stubby Antenna (Cravenspeed) for the Countryman $29.99...it had three threading screws...it's the smallest setting.

P.S. The R56 Antenna does not fit the Countryman.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
In no special order..
I had a call from the dealer, confirmed the motor is indeed a cooling device, the warmer the engine, the longer it runs, totally normal.

Back to the garage about 5 times last night.

As it is really my wifes car , we replaced her Beetle, she was off and playing today while I went to work. All positive comments.

The interior color is perfect, materials MINI standard high quality
The seat heaters are totally HOT, heat within 20 sec. Push button, 3 lights come on (hot) and each subsequent push lowers the temp and kills a light. 1 light is just fine for me.

The snow tire issue will wait until next fall. The all seasons are OK and I hate to set aside a new set of tires. I had Blizzaks on the 02 and the grip is awsome, on the All4 it would be better yet. I am leaning towards new rims when the aftermarket guys get up to speed and mount the all seasons on those. Maybe Blizzaks on the current rims for winter.

I tried to size the Tow Hook tonight, it appears to be an M20 size, the pitch is unknown yet but is coarse. I will get to a shop tomorrow for that so we can get the front plate bracket going.

We are getting used to the keys, the need to set the programming up 2 times is kind of a pain but does result in a true "ready for the driver" start. You hear the radio station you had on, not what the other driver likes. It know who you are.

I am waiting to hear from you guys as yours come in, your impressions will be interesting.

Mike

Last edited by FiremanMike; 12-09-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Congrats FiremanMike!!!

I have been to the dealer everyday since Tuesday, I will be picking up the countryman tomorrow. I had some mods done to the car so it does not look like it did before. I will post pictures later.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that 30mpg for a brand new engine it's good! a friend of mine with the Audi TT 1.8tfsi 160cv is able to manage 30mpg! But the TT is lighter and no AWD! So i think its a good start!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
I talked to Dave at gominigo today and sent him the pix and measurements of the tow hook set up. They are making and sending out a mounting kit for the license plate to me so I can get it on the car. The thread issue is a non issue to them, sounds like standard BMW stuff. I will hopefully have the kit Monday, maybe Tuesday, and let them and you know how it fits so they can make it available to all.
I am attaching a pix of the mock up I made for them using the stock front bracket and a wood dowel. It shows the look and it should be fine, better than holes.
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Just picked up my 11' Countryman S from the dealer-dscf3163.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM
TunaBall
3rd Gear
I talked to Dave at gominigo today and sent him the pix and measurements of the tow hook set up. They are making and sending out a mounting kit for the license plate to me so I can get it on the car.
Thanks for the help Mike. I talked to them today and if it works in your car, they say they'll have them in stock immediately. Good news since I can't take my car home without this or holes in my bumper. Eager to hear how it fits!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gmodder
So how are you guys able to get your cars...My dealer said they cant let the cars leave until January....He even showed me the websight that confirms this from mini....
What is the website? There have been reports that dealers are not to officially sell vehicles from stock until Jan 8th but customer ordered vehicles could be delivered as soon as they arrive.

Quick Reply: R60 Just picked up my 11' Countryman S from the dealer