1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Optional rear bench seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 PM
rtbar
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really wish they would give a time frame on this option... I have a Clubman on order, but I think a Countryman with a rear bench that folds flat would be a much better solution to haul my 3 dogs with...

Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Does anyone know if the US rear bench seat will be equipped with three sets of belts and three sets of car seat anchors (three "LATCH" points)?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Walt
Does anyone know if the US rear bench seat will be equipped with three sets of belts and three sets of car seat anchors (three "LATCH" points)?
It will have both. Any seating surface is required to have seat belts and LATCH points.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some folks comments just make me wonder some times.. I'm talking about getting a rear bench for my kids and than I hear some comments that it is for their dogs... can you really compare kids vs dogs.. might just be me...

Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 03mini-S
It will have both. Any seating surface is required to have seat belts and LATCH points.
Well, not if MINI doesn't officially support the center position here in the USA.

I guess my point was, just because one might be able to physically fit three car seats across the bench, unless there is an attachment point for the center, you will not be able to use the third, center, car seat.

Last edited by Walt; 01-10-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimtx
Some folks comments just make me wonder some times.. I'm talking about getting a rear bench for my kids and than I hear some comments that it is for their dogs... can you really compare kids vs dogs.. might just be me...
I don't think people are comparing kids to dogs, they're comparing how they will use the back seat. My husband and I are parents of 2 AND professional dog trainers. So for us, the back of any vehicle configuration is very important. The 2 bucket seats are kind of a pain if you need to use the cargo area and have a somewhat flat surface.
It is an aspect of their lifestyle and they are trying to determine if this car will work for them. Just like the people asking about attaching bikes to the back or carrying ski gear on a roof rack. While I wouldn't in a zillion years care about carrying either of those items in my car, I get how someone else would want to know if it will work for them.

Annette

Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
travelkids
3rd Gear
When asking one MA regarding the bench seat. He stated that he was told that for a bench seat to be installed in the US market it is required to be a certain width, MINI's bench seat was one inch too short in width.

??? I am not sure what a Clubman's bench seat is in width and I have no idea if there isn't room for a bench seat of proper width to fit in a CM.

Maybe a little BS floating around. Just thought I would throw this info out there!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
BS indeed. Check MotoringFile for the record.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Walt
Well, not if MINI doesn't officially support the center position here in the USA.

I guess my point was, just because one might be able to physically fit three car seats across the bench, unless there is an attachment point for the center, you will not be able to use the third, center, car seat.
When we were picking up my wife's car on Saturday, I specifically asked about seat belts and LATCH for the center seat when the bench becomes available.
I was told that it will have it, as any seating area in a car must have the LATCH and seat belts (speaking about rear seats). This is a requirement here in the states.
We ordered the split rail so that when the bench option becomes available, I will convert our 2 buckets over to the bench. It appears that the seat bottom on the the bench has a different designed outer 2 seats.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by travelkids
When asking one MA regarding the bench seat. He stated that he was told that for a bench seat to be installed in the US market it is required to be a certain width, MINI's bench seat was one inch too short in width.

??? I am not sure what a Clubman's bench seat is in width and I have no idea if there isn't room for a bench seat of proper width to fit in a CM.

Maybe a little BS floating around. Just thought I would throw this info out there!
The seat has been approved for the US market. It is clearly stated on http://www.motoringfile.com
You will find many MA's are totally clueless. My MA even admitted more than once on Saturday, as we picked up my wife's car, that I know more about the Countryman than they do.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
I don't think people are comparing kids to dogs, they're comparing how they will use the back seat. My husband and I are parents of 2 AND professional dog trainers. So for us, the back of any vehicle configuration is very important. The 2 bucket seats are kind of a pain if you need to use the cargo area and have a somewhat flat surface.
It is an aspect of their lifestyle and they are trying to determine if this car will work for them. Just like the people asking about attaching bikes to the back or carrying ski gear on a roof rack. While I wouldn't in a zillion years care about carrying either of those items in my car, I get how someone else would want to know if it will work for them.

Annette
Well put, Annette - thank you.

I have a kid - now aged 21 and our current dog is about to be 2. I used to have three dogs, but have only ever had one child who I love dearly. And it's a definite yes to wanting a back seat that offers a more useful, to us, configuration...and being able to put the seats down flat.

I love MINIs...but I continue to compare the Countryman to a possible Volvo V50 which is their small sport wagon soon to be discontinued in the USA, sadly.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Otra
6th Gear
P.S. The manager of our MINI dealership just told me it is all 100% definite and that they should have them in the summer. Tick, tock!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
thanks for the info Otra

Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Lenmonster
3rd Gear
So I'm assuming then that this will just have the front half of the split rail.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
antennariidae
Neutral
Originally Posted by Lenmonster
So I'm assuming then that this will just have the front half of the split rail.
If you want to see what the bench looks like, go to the http://mini.co.uk and check out the UK configurator. Once there you can see how the European cars are set up with the "5-seat configuration". Only the front rail is possible with the bench. I would suspect that the setup for the US will be similar.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
The picture makes the middle seat look like little more than a Pillion, common on motorcycles. Still can not see how the chest belt is anchored.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Lenmonster
3rd Gear
Honestly, the photo makes the rear bench seat look VERY unappealing. It seems to take away from the comfort of the individual back seats, as well. I was concerned that I'd be missing out on seating for 5, but I really like the four individual seats much better.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thank you moe-jiller! Am I correct that this photo is showing that third seat option as folded down? I think I would prefer to see it up. I do appreciate seeing this, however.

Attached Thumbnails Optional rear bench seat-mini-countryman-bench-seat.jpg  
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MBV/Desktop/mini-countryman-interior_34.jpg[/IMG]

I like the look of it.....

Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Much, much better view! Thank you, on behalf of all of us bench seaters.

So it does appear that the seats still don't go down completely flat, as they do in the Clubman. This is what the sales manager at my dealership had said. They do look much more useful, to me, with the bench seat option.

P.S. How did you get a hold of these photos?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
P.S. How did you get a hold of these photos?
The all knowing, too far reaching, scary at times.....Google!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Otra
6th Gear
You know, I never even thought of trying! Good for you!

Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
antennariidae
Neutral
More

Originally Posted by magpullin
The all knowing, too far reaching, scary at times.....Google!!!
Ditto for the 30 seconds it took for me to find this video, which may also be of help . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjuoIB8PzJ0

Rear seat shown about 50 seconds in . . . and, honestly, there are many, many Contryman videos on youtube if you care to poke around.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by antennariidae
and, honestly, there are many, many Contryman videos on youtube if you care to poke around.
Yea I knew there were some videos with the bench showing, but I have watched so damn MINI of them I wasn't going to try and go back to find one.
Good find, that one gives a good view of it.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Appreciate it!

Quick Reply: R60 Optional rear bench seat