1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Optional rear bench seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good presentation, SN. Unique and Super Cool get it for me. No leatherette for me, though - I like to drive naked and like the feel of leather on my thighs.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sealy
Good presentation, SN. Unique and Super Cool get it for me. No leatherette for me, though - I like to drive naked and like the feel of leather on my thighs.
Too much information

Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by silvernuke

haha, nice. BUT... a few errors.

1. The lack of the center rail is a huge positive, not a negative.
2. The complaining friends thing doesn't make sense. You are not forced to sit 3 back there just because you have the bench.
3. "very conventional" should be changed to "Practical" making that one an even draw.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
It should also be 4 + 0.5 = 4.5, that not even close to a full seat.

Other question I have yet to see answered is does the bench have the positioning (forward and back) that the buckets have, and if so are they individual or as one unit?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:55 PM
silvernuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS

Other question I have yet to see answered is does the bench have the positioning (forward and back) that the buckets have, and if so are they individual or as one unit?
4.5? lol ... They do. They move forward and back and 40/60 split rules apply.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 PM
d2mini
5th Gear

lol, good point!

That forward/back/recline(?) thing is the one thing I think is groovy about the buckets.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
silvernuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by d2mini
haha, nice. BUT... a few errors.

1. The lack of the center rail is a huge positive, not a negative.
2. The complaining friends thing doesn't make sense. You are not forced to sit 3 back there just because you have the bench.
3. "very conventional" should be changed to "Practical" making that one an even draw.
To each her/his own

Old 04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by silvernuke
To each her/his own
Ya, which is kinda my point and why it's ridiculous that a thread that was started as a simple question to the availability of a bench has turned into an argument for and against the two perfectly valid options. What works for one, doesn't work for another so options are a good thing. If you own the buckets, you don't need to validate. When you do, it reeks of feelings of inadequacy or jealousy. No one is arguing over or hijacking threads over any of the other options like Nav or Mini Connected for example. I fail to see why a bench seat option has pushed so many buttons, other than what I already said. I see this thread come to the top and I open it in hopes of seeing an update to the question at hand, and instead it's more drivel. Your chart was amusing. It was your opinion which is fine. I gave mine. To reply with "to each her/his own" is and so obvious that it doesn't really need to be said. Does it?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
silvernuke
3rd Gear
Ya, which is kinda my point and why it's ridiculous that a thread that was started as a simple question to the availability of a bench has turned into an argument for and against the two perfectly valid options. What works for one, doesn't work for another so options are a good thing. If you own the buckets, you don't need to validate. When you do, it reeks of feelings of inadequacy or jealousy. No one is arguing over or hijacking threads over any of the other options like Nav or Mini Connected for example. I fail to see why a bench seat option has pushed so many buttons, other than what I already said. I see this thread come to the top and I open it in hopes of seeing an update to the question at hand, and instead it's more drivel. Your chart was amusing. It was your opinion which is fine. I gave mine. To reply with "to each her/his own" is and so obvious that it doesn't really need to be said. Does it?
Hmmm.. my last quote "to each her/his own" was to meant to neutralize the field as I was simply recognizing the existence of two opinions that are both 'perfectly valid' - since you pointed out some 'errors'

I have no intention of causing a debate. My "amusing chart" - thanks! - should not be taken so seriously. It's only my opinion... to each her/his own!

Last edited by silvernuke; 04-20-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: replace 'correct' with 'valid'
Old 04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
foobs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManMachine
They do split and it seems they are worth the wait.

Car and Driver:

"Rear seats will slide fore and aft —the bench in a 60/40 split —and fold individually (or in 40/20/40 increments with the bench). "

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...hotos_and_info

BMWblog:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/09/07/ph...-its-uk-debut/

"The multi-function rear seats are arranged with a 60:40 split base for the three rear seat passengers and both rear seat squabs are also individually adjustable, sliding back or forth by 130mm to make the best use of space. The backrests, by contrast, are arranged in a 40:20:40 split that provides absolute flexibility with all three seatbacks capable of folding flat in any combination."

Looking at these images, I think I see 2 LATCH icons at the base of the middle seat but I dont see the rear tether for a baby seat behind the seatback. I can see them on the 2 outer rear seats but nothing in the middle. Does anyone know if you can even mount a baby seat in the middle using the LATCH harness?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by foobs
Does anyone know if you can even mount a baby seat in the middle using the LATCH harness?
Not sure, doesn't look like it, wouldn't be a problem with a rear facing infant car seat, as the don't use the rear, just the seat mounts. Once they switch to the forward facing that uses the rear latch point, I would never keep it in the middle any way. My other concern if I was mounting the baby/child seat in the middle is your not actually going to be able to fit another passenger or seat on either side.

Last edited by JudgeS; 04-21-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
rabbitransit
1st Gear
Are there roof attachment points?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM
dlpruk
4th Gear
I can't imagine any normal size adult fitting comfortably on either side. It might work well if you have three children I guess, but I would certainly want more room if thats the case.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1884327...in/photostream

Old 04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Yea thats not comfortably, thats awful, and an an infant car seat is going to take up more width than a person (well normal sized person).

Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 PM
dlpruk
4th Gear
thats awful, and an an infant car seat is going to take up more width than a person (well normal sized person).
Really? Funny then that it worked well for a shortish trip - in preference to leaving one behind. (None of the three would want to do a trans-continental tour like that but needs must sometimes.)

Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 PM
stevielaine
2nd Gear
I am waiting for the bench seat too! I don't think it looks bad at all, and like others have said, it's mostly for my dog!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dlpruk
Really? Funny then that it worked well for a shortish trip - in preference to leaving one behind. (None of the three would want to do a trans-continental tour like that but needs must sometimes.)
Ya, i don't know of any normal sized sedan or hatchback that has a full width center seat.
What you show in your pic is normal.
The car seat in the center though... i can see that being a problem for additional passengers... but again, no different than any other car.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM
foobs
Neutral
I would never keep it in the middle any way. My other concern if I was mounting the baby/child seat in the middle is your not actually going to be able to fit another passenger or seat on either side.
Coming from a MKIV Jetta, we can barely fit 2 smurfs on each side of our middle baby seat anyways so Im not too concerned. We dont haul passengers besides our little one and her gear. If I was going to mount the car seat on the side, id might as well get the rear buckets.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by foobs
Coming from a MKIV Jetta, we can barely fit 2 smurfs on each side of our middle baby seat anyways so Im not too concerned. We dont haul passengers besides our little one and her gear. If I was going to mount the car seat on the side, id might as well get the rear buckets.
My point exactly, and without the rear latch connection, your going to have to mount the car seat on the side after year 1 anyway.

As for those with dogs, not sure if most saw pooch style released a dog mat for the car: http://www.poochstyle.com/store/pc/v...dproduct=27137

interesting part is it features an optional cushion for the rail, wonder if this could be used on its own?

http://www.poochstyle.com/photo_gall....asp?PID=27137

Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
interesting part is it features an optional cushion for the rail, wonder if this could be used on its own?
If there was something that did a decent and easy job of temporarily turning the buckets into a faux bench, i'd be more open to the buckets.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
If there was something that did a decent and easy job of temporarily turning the buckets into a faux bench, i'd be more open to the buckets.
Thats what it looks like, although not a good pick (might just fill the area with the seats down). Still I can see similar products coming out with time, nice option cause you get the best of both worlds.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Guards Red Car
1st Gear
While waiting for an "Official" product to "bridge the gap" between the rear bucket seats, I may purchase a massage table bolster and wedge it right into the crack!

http://www.massagewarehouse.com/sear...Sort=2&F_All=Y

Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
. . . wedge it right into the crack!
And that's exactly where it's going to lodge when you hit the first bump.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Thats what it looks like, although not a good pick (might just fill the area with the seats down). Still I can see similar products coming out with time, nice option cause you get the best of both worlds.
Well, i still don't see any real advantage to the buckets especially since I won't be sitting back there, but it might do if someone didn't want to wait for the bench.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Well, i still don't see any real advantage to the buckets especially since I won't be sitting back there, but it might do if someone didn't want to wait for the bench.
Well to each their own but to me they look much, much, better (both the seats and the light rail) and are more comfortable for the rear passengers as they have better bolsters. Plus you get rear cup holders (and other attachments if you want) with the rail, something you'd lose with the bench.

Quick Reply: R60 Optional rear bench seat