1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Sports Suspension vs. Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked a couple weeks and thought they had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS in the standard 17 size...

Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Conti's don't come in run-flats, do they? They're traditional tires.

And the CM only comes with run-flats, correct?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 AM
travelkids
3rd Gear
IMHO, If I ended up getting a MINI with 18s, I would buy a SLIME KIT w compressor and the Contis DWS. In most cases the TPMS will notify you soon enough to get you to a tire shop before you need the Slime kit/Run Flat feature(50 miles) and normal tires are easier to fix for the low tech gas stations!

Buy the Contis for $500 and sell the almost new RFs!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by travelkids
IMHO, If I ended up getting a MINI with 18s, I would buy a SLIME KIT w compressor and the Contis DWS. In most cases the TPMS will notify you soon enough to get you to a tire shop before you need the Slime kit/Run Flat feature(50 miles) and normal tires are easier to fix for the low tech gas stations!

Buy the Contis for $500 and sell the almost new RFs!
That's probably what I'm going to do. Saw the Conti kit with the compressor and sealant but haven't heard of slime kit. Is that better? What about the BMW kit? Do they all use the same stuff I assume?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
old81
M6
What folks are forgetting is the slime kits are not TPMS friendly.

You should use a plug kit and compressor for your on the road emergency, then get the tire professionally repaired or replaced.

Replace if the patch is not going to hold or a professional repair is not possible.

I think folks worry to much, I carry a AAA+ card and we have MINI service/tow coverage.

Good reports on the Conti DWS, but I had a recent set of Conti Cross M&S wear out in less that 15 months and 12K miles, on a light Jeep Liberty.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
travelkids
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
That's probably what I'm going to do. Saw the Conti kit with the compressor and sealant but haven't heard of slime kit. Is that better? What about the BMW kit? Do they all use the same stuff I assume?
These products will not ruin the tire, like I guess "Fix-a-flat" can. Here is the link to Slime kits. you could go with BMWs too!

http://www.slime.com/index.php?p=vie...&category_id=4

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
travelkids
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by old81
How is that? Audi/Porsche had goo kits that are to be used with their TPMS. Is Slime that much different?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
bumbles44
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
You had to make me look it up, didn't ya?
I've read where the sport button has no effect on suspension but I know that when driving over rough roads, the ride goes from bad to harsh -- At least it does in my stock '09 R56. Recently I had read the Autoblog post quoted above and have been using sport mode alot over the past 2 weeks. I would say that while driving over rough roads the ride is harder in sport mode, but when cruising on highways the ride quality is improved. When driving over slight imperfections at highway speeds, like repeated seams in the alsphalt, the ride is a bit smoother in sport mode as compared to non-sport mode.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
The manual doesn't say anything about the suspension when the sport button is activated and I've never felt a difference in all 4 of my MINIs. I used to have a '10 Mercedes-Benz GLK 4matic and I could really tell the difference in the suspension when the sport button was activated on it. I'm hoping the the sport button will someday do the same for the MINI, especially for the Countryman.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
bumbles44: Any difference in ride quality as a result of pushing the Sport button exists only in your head I'm afraid. This has been discussed ad nauseum. The suspension, sport or otherwise, is single mode and non-adjustable.

The Sport button only affects throttle mapping, steering sensitivity and exhaust aural effects (S only).

Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Trust me, if the Sport button affected the suspension you'd know it. And it wouldn't be free either. If BMW won't make it no-cost on ANY M-model car, they won't do it on a $28K Mini.

It's steering and throttle changes only as, being electric, both are easily manipulated.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 AM
axoo007
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by magpullin
Hmmmm, my bad, then I was lied to by my MA. He told me the sport button
did nothing to the suspension. You would think they would know what they are talking about!
I don't think he lied to you. He probably didn't know and told you something else just to avoid sounding ignorant. Only on a few of those guys are really knowledgeable about the cars they sell and that's unfortunate...The best MINI savvy people are obviously on this forum and some others.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by magpullin
Hmmmm, my bad, then I was lied to by my MA. He told me the sport button
did nothing to the suspension. You would think they would know what they are talking about!
No, your MA is correct. The Sport button indeed does nothing to the suspension.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ftttuhzbmcs
The manual doesn't say anything about the suspension when the sport button is activated and I've never felt a difference in all 4 of my MINIs. I used to have a '10 Mercedes-Benz GLK 4matic and I could really tell the difference in the suspension when the sport button was activated on it. I'm hoping the the sport button will someday do the same for the MINI, especially for the Countryman.
The reason the manual doesn't say anything is because it doesn't control the suspension. MINI will never have electrically controlled suspension....due to cost and the fact it provides a sport suspension option.
MINI also doesn't have power seats.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 03mini-S
The reason the manual doesn't say anything is because it doesn't control the suspension. MINI will never have electrically controlled suspension....due to cost and the fact it provides a sport suspension option.
MINI also doesn't have power seats.
I know the button doesn't have anything to do with the suspension but I was being humble. I've never had a bimmer but if they have it that way, I wouldn't doubt MINI might get it someday. As for the seats, you never know. Who would have ever thought you could get a fireplace in a MINI???

Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by travelkids
Since this will be the new roadtrip car replacing the VolvoXC, standard suspension will probably be fine, but I have been reading the articles too!
I hope you don't take too much kit, have a partner or children, the Countryman is a fantastic car but I wouldn't plan on using one for a road trip, my wifes car is a 2009 Volvo V70, that's a road trip car.

I did a 5700km road trip in my Clubman, it was fun but it was only me, I also did a 2300km road trip in our Golf 5 with the wife and 1 child not fun. Last summer we drove 3000km in the V70 with wife, two kids and luggage for 3 weeks, the Volvo was awesome.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:45 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Tire Slime will not harm TPMS, in fact its specifically says on it is TPMS friendly. However it may not install easy into cars with TPMS mounted in valves like I believe the Mini has.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Tire Slime will not harm TPMS, in fact its specifically says on it is TPMS friendly. However it may not install easy into cars with TPMS mounted in valves like I believe the Mini has.
The '03 MCS extrapolated tire underinflation by monitoring rotation rates of each wheel (via the abs sensors). Underinflation meant a slight decrease in tire diameter and thus faster rotation rate compared to other correctly inflated tires.
This method would not be affected by any tire sealant sloshing about inside the tire.
Is this how the Countryman determines Tire Pressure or is if more sophisticated now?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tornado
Is this how the Countryman determines Tire Pressure or is if more sophisticated now?
No they switched over to the valve stem sensors with the second gen. (thats whats on my R56), which are far more accurate but of course cost close to $200 each.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 PM
CinMinCountryman
1st Gear
As the sticker on the CM states, "Sport button for quicker throttle & steering response". So they just make the steering feel different via electronic adjustments. From my own personal experience, it's nice hitting the button and having a greater degree of control when going faster. The quicker and more aggressive progression through the gears is very noticeable as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp

Bought the cheap small slime kit, bottle of slime blew-up in the texas heat within 6 months... What a mess!. Bad choice, not sure if the conti kit is better but have heard some mustangs have the kit as oem in the trunk. so may be more durable. Bmw/mini kit are the same, different bag.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:01 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I intend on doing just that with it with 2 kids. 5 - 6 hr trip. Bikes on the back, cargo carrier on the roof. Does the Mini CM have cruise control?

Originally Posted by KiwiRob
I hope you don't take too much kit, have a partner or children, the Countryman is a fantastic car but I wouldn't plan on using one for a road trip, my wifes car is a 2009 Volvo V70, that's a road trip car.

I did a 5700km road trip in my Clubman, it was fun but it was only me, I also did a 2300km road trip in our Golf 5 with the wife and 1 child not fun. Last summer we drove 3000km in the V70 with wife, two kids and luggage for 3 weeks, the Volvo was awesome.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sirbikes
Does the Mini CM have cruise control?
Cruise control?? You're gonna need kid control.

Have a great time. Send pics!

P.S. - Yes.

Last edited by Sealy; 03-25-2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: -
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Well I intend on doing just that with it with 2 kids. 5 - 6 hr trip. Bikes on the back, cargo carrier on the roof. Does the Mini CM have cruise control?
Yes.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well best of luck to you, I'd love to hear about it. Yup it even works at 180kph, I managed to get a run on the autobahn at 180 for about 15 minutes, doesn't help fuel consumption much, but it was fun.

For 5-6 hour trips I'll stick to my wife's very comfortable V70, you can't beat the V70 for eating the miles, it's got to have the most comfortable seats of any car this side of a Rolls or Bentley.

Quick Reply: R60 Sports Suspension vs. Sport Mode