1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Sports Suspension vs. Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
Well best of luck to you, I'd love to hear about it. Yup it even works at 180kph, I managed to get a run on the autobahn at 180 for about 15 minutes, doesn't help fuel consumption much, but it was fun.

For 5-6 hour trips I'll stick to my wife's very comfortable V70, you can't beat the V70 for eating the miles, it's got to have the most comfortable seats of any car this side of a Rolls or Bentley.
Wow that is really flying! Around 112mph! How did the CM handle at those speeds?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magpullin
Hmmmm, my bad, then I was lied to by my MA. He told me the sport button
did nothing to the suspension. You would think they would know what they are talking about!
I don't know that they lied to you. In my experience over the years, car sales people really don't know nearly as much as they should about their products. Many of them think they know though so you were probably given an honest, albeit incorrect, answer.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Personally, I would only order the sport suspension if I intended on tracking the car or really pushing it to its limits and are willing to sacrifice ride quality on a day-to-day basis. Nothing wrong with doing that and if I didn't have to consider my wife or kids, I would probably have ordered it because I like to drive hard.
Ditto

Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lindseybp
Wow that is really flying! Around 112mph! How did the CM handle at those speeds?
It wasn't my Countryman that's still 7 weeks away, it was in my Clubman Cooper D, she was rock steady, I was really impressed, I even managed an indicated 201 on my TomTom, made me wonder what it would have been like in a Coopers S or JCW.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
To futher clarify, the Countryman suspension is not adjustable whether standard or Sport. There are no modes. You either have the standard suspension or the Sport suspension and must live with its characteristics 100% of the time (barring mods of course). This is not an adjustable suspension like those found on BMWs or Porsches where a press of the button (usually labeled Sport) stiffens the suspension.

Personally, I would only order the sport suspension if I intended on tracking the car or really pushing it to its limits and are willing to sacrifice ride quality on a day-to-day basis. Nothing wrong with doing that and if I didn't have to consider my wife or kids, I would probably have ordered it because I like to drive hard.
Having lived with the sport suspension for a few days (sooooo much experience, I know ;-)), I'm very happy that I got it! It is firm, but it is definitely NOT anything that makes the car painful to drive, even on bad roads.

Nashville has some good roads, but an awful lot that need work, and the car is fine on even the worst I've been on. Over railroad tracks, patches, you name it. Pretty much what I expected.

If you're trying to manage the bottom line, you could live without it, sure. The only option that I have that would be an absolute MUST-HAVE, should I ever go down this road again? The XENON's. Great, great, great, great, great.

Just my opinion...

Old 03-27-2011, 02:33 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I have a Nissan Rogue right now that I've taken on some long trips with the kids. The CM seems to have about the same amount of room as the Rogue as far as passenger cargo.

Originally Posted by Sealy
Cruise control?? You're gonna need kid control.

Have a great time. Send pics!

P.S. - Yes.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
No they switched over to the valve stem sensors with the second gen. (thats whats on my R56), which are far more accurate but of course cost close to $200 each.
Well, just got my CM All4 yesterday and a review of the manual indicated there are two ways the car can be equiped to detect low tire pressure...
Flat Tire Monitor (FTM): Detects pressure loss by monitoring wheel rotation rates. This is the standard equipement fitment.
Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM): Direct pressure monitoring via wheel electronics. This is an optional equipment fitment.

This may be specific for Canadian CM's...USA fitment might be different.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WARNING: the following is heresy to those observing conventional wisdom and represents my delusional view of suspension set-up.

When choosing suspension and tire options, keep in mind your climate and the average conditions of your most frequently traveled roads.

I have lived in areas with moderate weather and fine roads. An 18" tire, stiffer springs, larger diameter sway bars and higher dampening-rate shocks were a reasonable choice for improved (albeit, constant track-like) handling characteristics. I much prefer to drive in a "spirited" fashion with a setup like this if conditions allow it

However, I now live in an area that has harsh winters, wet spring and fall seasons, and average road conditions that challenge even the most compliant suspension setup. Driving a vehicle set up as described in the above paragraph would be challenging to the kidneys and the pocketbook. Obviously, choosing a more forgiving tire and suspension package would be in order.

So, if you live in the northern climes with roads that are less than well-maintained, allow me to suggest the following:

1. Order the CM without 18" tires (17" all seasons instead) and without the sport suspension, then drive the car for a full year without modifications;

2. If you then find you want to dial-out body roll without needing a new spleen, upgrade to larger diameter sway bars -- chances are that this will provide the needed improvement;

3. If you STILL need a more direct feel, think about replacing the shocks and/or springs;

4. Finally, if you want to participate in autocrossing or track days, pick up a second set of 17" wheels mounted with a tire size that lowers the sidewall a bit and increases the tread-width a smidge.

In my area, 18" wheels LOOK nice and the sport suspension FEELS nice but (IMHO) both are impractical for the level of compliance needed to convey passengers, dogs, and cases of nitroglycerine.

Last edited by Koopah; 06-15-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
I have 17" Wheels w/ All Season RFs and Sport Suspension...The CM held up at the MOTD very well.