1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 AM
tornado
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MacMitch
I am working on an order for my new Mini today. I have the sport suspension as an option. I selected the sport suspension at least partially because I may end up towing a dog trailer as Annette has explained. It has been my understanding with past vehicles that "towing packages" often include some sort of suspension stiffening to help with the increased load.

I felt that if the Countryman needed help with anything to haul loads of around 1000 lbs it would be the suspension. Although I also selected the larger 18" tires. I know the Mini brakes are outstanding, which would be the other major feature I would be concerned with when hauling a load.

Any other thoughts about what to order for pulling a load, before I sign this order?
The max trailer load of a class 1 trailer is about 1500 lbs I believe. This is not the load that gets applied at the rear axle of the car...the "tongue" weight should typically be less than 10% of the loaded trailer weight. So 100-150 lbs max. This is important to get right for trailer stability. So, having stiffer suspension may not be strictly needed if the car is already relatively stiff.

If you are stuck with getting automatic tranny, then look into add-on transmission coolers if you're going to be hauling for more than an hour or two per trip. Or, go with manual tranny and never worry about over heating Auto tranny fluid.

Mike.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi tornado,
Thanks for the favor of a reply,
I just ordered my Countryman. Definitely got the manual transmission. Talked the rest of it over with my salesman, Neil.

Apparently the official word from Mini regarding towing is... no comment. The thought process is just like I thought. Since they do not offer a towing option they can't/want comment on how much one can tow. I guess when Minifini comes out with their towing bar they will have to make some statement.

I saw a 12% number somewhere in a Mini review. Maybe that is the acceptable tongue weight? 12% of around 1000 lbs = 120 lbs ?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
12% probably refers to permitted road grade (slope)...

for the spec, which varies between braked and unbraked. Look earlier in the thread for those spec's

Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 AM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Reviving this thread now that I have my CM and am getting closer to mountain biking/motorcycle season as I need a 2" hitch receiver for my bicycle rack as well as the ability to tow my light motorcycle trailer...anyone heard any updates from minifini or others?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I spoke to the guy at MiniFini just now. He indicated they would get a countryman by the end of the month from a dealer in Pittsburgh. They intend to develop a "Link" for the countryman and need to know such things as spacing and license plate location.

He also indicated that since the countryman is a larger vehicle the hitch would have a little more capacity than the clubman hitch.

I got the impression we were a few months away from a product.

Bill

Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
We're hoping they will be available in time for The Dragon, we could pick it up there.
From Motoring File earlier this week:
Countryman news, color options will remain the same for the MINI 4-door. March production updates will not bring a USA rear bench seat option for the R60 as hoped, but our sources tell us that the bench is still coming and should land very soon thereafter. Official towing capacity for the Countryman will also be issued.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Hatchbox
1st Gear
One thing to think about when towing with a small/mini vehicle is how to handle a trailer when it starts to wobble or jackknife. In some situations you have to power the towing vehicle to pull the trailer straight otherwise it may actually flip both vehicles. I think many people make a mistake and hit the brakes too much when the trailer starts to swerve.

Don't take this to apply to all situations, just something I've found in my experience towing a boat trailer (not with a MINI) yearly to and from a lake. from what I recall, emergency braking requires steering in the direction of any skid the trailer is doing to keep things straight.

Disclaimer - I am not a professional trailer instructor...take my advice as a personal opinion. If you are going to do a lot of towing, it wpuld be worthwhile to educate yourself on it with your own research/instruction.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Hatchbox
1st Gear
Also many years ago I used to tow a ~1,000# 14' jet boat/trailer combo with my 94 Acura Integra Coupe (which just happened to have a ~1,000# towing limit), so I do have some small vehicle "at-the limit" towing experience.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:23 PM
itsmeagain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MacMitch
Hi tornado,
Thanks for the favor of a reply,
I just ordered my Countryman. Definitely got the manual transmission. Talked the rest of it over with my salesman, Neil.

Apparently the official word from Mini regarding towing is... no comment. The thought process is just like I thought. Since they do not offer a towing option they can't/want comment on how much one can tow. I guess when Minifini comes out with their towing bar they will have to make some statement.

I saw a 12% number somewhere in a Mini review. Maybe that is the acceptable tongue weight? 12% of around 1000 lbs = 120 lbs ?
I’m thinking the “no comment” on towing in the USA is a legal position. I talked to a Mini rep at the L.A. auto show and was told Mini does not recommend towing with any Mini and is could void the warranty; but on the UK Mini site they show a tow bar option and claim you can tow up to 1000 Kg (about 2,200 lbs) on certain models

Attached Thumbnails Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?-countryman-tow-hitch.jpg  
Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 AM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
I work part time for an RV dealership, we are making plans to build a teardrop camper for me to tow behind the All4. It will be less than the 1650# limit and it will have brakes. I would highly recommend brakes for any trailer you tow behind a MINI, the wear and tear alone is enough but the ability to control the trailer is essential. You do NOT need a built in brake controller anymore, there are models that are totally wireless and work with any tow vehicle. Tow, but tow smartly.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 AM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
FiremanMike,

Good name,
I was not aware that one could have braking on a trailer without the wiring set up, great information. I hope you will keep us posted on the teardrop, Annette and I have been thinking about one for years. If it could be set up to haul dogs we might jump on it with all 4's, so to speak.

We have a warm spot for fireman since a couple of them pulled Annette and our daughter MacKenzie out of El Kabong a little over a week ago.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 AM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
The brake controller I mentioned is produced by a company here in Iowa, Innovative Electronics, and is about as simple as it comes. I believe they use a motion sensor to detect slow down which starts to apply the brakes to 'recenter the ball' so to speak. 2 wires and screw the base to the trailer, done. Two great advantages, no controller in the tow vehicle so the trailer can be pulled by any vehicle. You obviously need a wire harness for the lights and a hot source or a battery in the trailer for 12v.
The teardrop is going to be an interesting build, I have access to all of the parts mfgrs, just a matter of laying out the design and floor plan. If building is not an option, there are a couple of companys out there that do make lightweight units already.
Just waiting for the hitch folks now.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
We have checked into lots of possibilities for hauling dogs. We came close to buying a trailer strictly for hauling dogs and still might. The big problem with that option is the heat factor in those tight spaces. Fan systems are fairly easy and not to expensive but may not be sufficient here in the deep south. AC is hard to do and very expensive for a dog trailer.

A teardrop might be easier to keep cool with the additional space. It could also provide a number of other functions that a dog trailer could not. I am wondering if a small teardrop with brakes could be made safer than a dog trailer?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:48 PM
days-like-this
4th Gear
Any updates?

bumping this thread again to see if anyone has updates on the trailer hitch...?

Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
We're getting a sport link system installed by MINIFini at the Dragon. Haven't heard anything different from miniusa regarding towing.

Annette

Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
What is "The Dragon" ? I've seen it mentioned before.

Most states require trailers with GVWR of over 3000# to have brakes by law and automobile manufacturers generally recommend brakes with even lighter trailers.

Trailers with non-electrical braking systems (no electrical connection to the tow vehicle's braking system) are known as "Surge Brakes." When the tow vehicle slows down or stops the forward momentum "surge" of the trailer against the hitch ball applies pressure to a master cylinder in the trailer coupler. This pressure activates the trailer brakes through a hydraulic system much like the brakes on your vehicle.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hobie44610
What is "The Dragon" ? I've seen it mentioned before.
Oh, young grasshopper, a question with many answers.

It is basically Woodstock for MINI enthusiasts. The Dragon is a stretch of road that runs between North Carolina and Tennessee that is famous for it's twisties. For many car and motorcycle drivers it is one of THE roads to drive. There is a 5 day gathering every spring for MINIs that is all about driving and hanging out. Here's a link to some more info. Go to YouTube and search for minis on the dragon for some fun videos.
http://www.minisonthedragon.com/

Annette

Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
Thank You Master Po

Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 AM
days-like-this
4th Gear
So the minifini system is now available? Wish I lived closer to The Dragon.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
Update for those that don't know...MiniDoMore now has a tow hitch option out for hte CM. Do a search on the General CM forum to find a thread with pics.

Mike.
(CM ordered 3/26).

Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 PM
pappatho
2nd Gear
Does the Countryman have any provisions built in for the brake light harness (4 pin connector)? It looked like the European bike rack has the lights repeated on it, so I thought maybe there is something built in that would make it easy to add a 4 pin brake light connector.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by itsmeagain
I’m thinking the “no comment” on towing in the USA is a legal position. I talked to a Mini rep at the L.A. auto show and was told Mini does not recommend towing with any Mini and is could void the warranty; but on the UK Mini site they show a tow bar option and claim you can tow up to 1000 Kg (about 2,200 lbs) on certain models
We also have a tow package option in Norway, I'm not surprised you can't get one in the US due to Americans being overly fond of litigation should something go wrong. I wouldn't tow with a MINI, I just don't think they have enough body weight, besides my wife's Volvo V70 is an excellent tow car.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 AM
mayer020103
1st Gear
If you are wondering what a CM looks like towing a camper, here you go, check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3kCerkfq2E

Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mayer020103
If you are wondering what a CM looks like towing a camper, here you go, check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3kCerkfq2E

Quick Reply: R60 Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?