1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:06 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had a Sport Link II installed on my R56 and I saw the CM prototype at the MINI-FINI shop. It was rated by an independent test compay as a Class II hitch. Like all of thir products it is very well built. While MDM makes a good product, the best is the MINI FINI products. Pricey? A little. But highly worth the extra cost. I had first class service from Russell. I got the cargo carrier and it too is well built. This is the only wat to go.

By the way. I do not have any affiliation with them other than a very happy customer...

EDT: Actually I entered a typo. It is rated as a CLASS III, not Class II. It is very well engineered

Last edited by callahan00; 04-04-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I had the MINI Do More on my '06 and it was just great, but I don't love the solution they've come up with for the CM. So were are going with MINI FINI for the CM for sure.

Annette

Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
days-like-this
4th Gear
NICE! I see their website now lists that the C-Link is available for the Countryman and to call to place orders I just sent in an inquiry.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can someone post pics of the MiniFini setup on their CM? Thanks.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
c-link for Countryman?

Originally Posted by callahan00
I just had a Sport Link II installed on my R56 and I saw the CM prototype at the MINI-FINI shop. It was rated by an independent test compay as a Class II hitch. Like all of thir products it is very well built. While MDM makes a good product, the best is the MINI FINI products. Pricey? A little. But highly worth the extra cost. I had first class service from Russell. I got the cargo carrier and it too is well built. This is the only wat to go.

By the way. I do not have any affiliation with them other than a very happy customer...

EDT: Actually I entered a typo. It is rated as a CLASS III, not Class II. It is very well engineered
I have a call into MiniFini, but maybe someone here can answer my question. Will the link for the countryman attach in the factory holes in the bumper or will one of MiniFini's links have to be attached to the frame with a base that attaches to their piece?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
pappatho
2nd Gear
The Minifini hitch does not use the bike rack holes. It is a 1 1/4 receiver. If I understand correctly it will come out the vent/grill looking piece below the license plate and have a cap to cover it when not in use.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
If it's Class III I assume that means it is stronger than a Class II. I guess then I could attach a 1-1/4 to 2 adapter. It would stick out more but I could remove it when not in use.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sirbikes
If it's Class III I assume that means it is stronger than a Class II. I guess then I could attach a 1-1/4 to 2 adapter. It would stick out more but I could remove it when not in use.

Trailer towing capacity are limited by the car, not the hitch. I have not yet seen the CM's rated towing capacity...but with 180 hp and small-ish size, I'd not expect more than Class II capacity (less than 3500 LBS gross trailer weight). A class III hitch is rated to 5000 LBS...way too much for the car I'd bet.

It may be the minifini hitch is engineered to take a class III limit, but that car limits that to class II or maybe even a Class I.

Mike.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 PM
days-like-this
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pappatho
The Minifini hitch does not use the bike rack holes. It is a 1 1/4 receiver. If I understand correctly it will come out the vent/grill looking piece below the license plate and have a cap to cover it when not in use.
Hmm...is that the same as the minidomore solution?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-hitched.html

Old 04-06-2011, 05:52 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
The minidomore hitch requires you move the license plate down when you want to use the hitch. So not quite the same I don't think.
Annette

Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 AM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Had a nice long talk with Russell at MiniFini and ordered their Countryman hitch. Confirmed that it is a 1 1/4 inch receiver hitch that is accessible below the license plate through the vent hole area. Installation will require removing the bumper cover, bolting on in existing screw location and cutting a hole in the vent area the size of the 1 1/4 opening. He was in the process of writing up instructions to install and mentioned that it isn't hard other than removing some finicky clips that are new to the Countryman. They also sell a wiring harness for a light solution that I ordered that includes fuses and relays so that the computer is happy with tapping into the rear tail light harness.

Russell took a lot of time on the phone with me to chat about his business, took an interest in me as a customer and just seems to be an all around great guy with a solid business. I would rather pay a premium for a product from a solid and honest person like him any day than to a nameless, faceless website product that has questionable quality. There is no doubt that Russell will make sure we are happy with this product.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
A big plus to everything said. Russell and his wife are also a MINI enthusiast[they have two plus a really cool looking Classic Mini] that I saw at his shop in Columbus] and it shows in his work. One other thing to note is that Russell said that he will be able to attach a Sport Link similar to the Sport Link II design on a Countryman so if you have older attachements for the Sport Link or are a two MINI family [like my wife and I: R56 and R60] the attachements can be used for either car.

I was a

Originally Posted by OregonMountainMan
Had a nice long talk with Russell at MiniFini and ordered their Countryman hitch. Confirmed that it is a 1 1/4 inch receiver hitch that is accessible below the license plate through the vent hole area. Installation will require removing the bumper cover, bolting on in existing screw location and cutting a hole in the vent area the size of the 1 1/4 opening. He was in the process of writing up instructions to install and mentioned that it isn't hard other than removing some finicky clips that are new to the Countryman. They also sell a wiring harness for a light solution that I ordered that includes fuses and relays so that the computer is happy with tapping into the rear tail light harness.

Russell took a lot of time on the phone with me to chat about his business, took an interest in me as a customer and just seems to be an all around great guy with a solid business. I would rather pay a premium for a product from a solid and honest person like him any day than to a nameless, faceless website product that has questionable quality. There is no doubt that Russell will make sure we are happy with this product.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
rabbitransit
1st Gear
My concern is that to install the pin that holds the ball mount you have to reach way up behind the bumper. If you don't mind leaving the ball mount on all the time this may not be an issue for you. I however, would prefer only to have the ball mount when I tow and have the flexibility to easily switch to a 1-1/4 receiver bike rack. If this assumption is correct then I think I may hold out for the "sport-link" type solution.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
days-like-this
4th Gear
Great follow up info. I'm dying to see pics of this. What's the best way to cut an intentional great looking hole in that rear lower bumper grill?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rabbitransit
My concern is that to install the pin that holds the ball mount you have to reach way up behind the bumper. If you don't mind leaving the ball mount on all the time this may not be an issue for you. I however, would prefer only to have the ball mount when I tow and have the flexibility to easily switch to a 1-1/4 receiver bike rack. If this assumption is correct then I think I may hold out for the "sport-link" type solution.
If you are referring to the minidomore product, then yes, it was a pain to reach up under to install. Therefore, on my '06 I left the tow ball on all the time. Not very attractive but at least I didn't have to fiddle with it.
Annette

Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Another reason I opted to g with the MINI Fini solution. All I have is two Stainless Steel ports comig through the rear "grill". It actually looks pretty cool. You can also opt to have it cut to accomodate to rubber caps that will fit and make the ports hidden for the most part.

Originally Posted by BoCRon
If you are referring to the minidomore product, then yes, it was a pain to reach up under to install. Therefore, on my '06 I left the tow ball on all the time. Not very attractive but at least I didn't have to fiddle with it.
Annette

Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Another reason I opted to g with the MINI Fini solution. All I have is two Stainless Steel ports comig through the rear "grill". It actually looks pretty cool. You can also opt to have it cut to accomodate to rubber caps that will fit and make the ports hidden for the most part.
That's the reason I am going with the MINIfini for my '11 MCS AND my husband's '11 Countryman S. On the '06, the tow hitch was in the hole where the rear fog light is. So if you didn't mind fiddling with it, you could remove the minidomore tow attachment and put your fog light back in the hole and plug it back in. On the '11, the rear fog doesn't have a separate center hole, so I'm guessing they will be drilling a hole somewhere for the tow attachment.
Here's a pic of my '06 with the tow attachment through the fog light.

Name:  EPSN0945.jpg
Views: 4184
Size:  71.7 KB

And a pic with the fog light back in place.

Name:  EPSN0510.jpg
Views: 4021
Size:  38.9 KB

Annette

Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Well looks weren't my only reason. There is also strength and build quality. He used a high tensile, lightweight steel in the fabrication. It is very strong. The Sport Link II with hitch is rated as a Class II hitch which means it has the strength to suspend a MINI and five 200 pound men. The Countryman hitch is rated as a Class III hitch which is a 5000 capacity. You do not want to tow that much with it. The fit and finish is impeccable. I only bought it for the cargo carrier and will probably never tow anything. WE may use the the bike rack option but not yet.

The other consideration is the ease of putting on the accessories. Simple process really. Hold the attachment in the 90 degree position to the car and insert the right attachment bar into the port. lower it to horizontal and slide the left bar into the port. twist the handle around and is secured in place. Engage the lock and yo are done. Maybe 30 seconds tops. No crawling around on the ground or burning you dingers fumbling around for the pin. check Russell's site.

I think the MDM hitch is adequet but not as good of a solution as the MINI Fini. Keep us posted as to what you decided. I can psot some pictures of mine in the near future..

Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
spaner
3rd Gear
extra holes

I was hoping mini-fini were going to be able to utilize the existing hole cuts outs in bumper (which I think are for towing eyes)

Any idea why not - I heard something about a peculiar thread type

In any case I have asked for some pictures of the MINI-Fini but if you have them already OregonMountainMan please post em up :p)

Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM
days-like-this
4th Gear
While trying to find out which vendors were scheduled to be at AMVIV this year (hoping MINI FINI was) I came across:

www.caboosetrailers.com

Check out their system specifically for the Countryman which utilizes existing holes. LOTS of photos. Love the trailer with sport stripes!

I know nothing about this system...just stumbled upon it.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
So I'm heading over to pick up my MINI from getting the driving lights installed and notice this place where a Saturn dealership used to be.
Kind of interesting, wonder when they'll be doing a MINI.
http://www.execuhitch.com/index.aspx

Annette

Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Rev. MINIstry
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MDM version.
More pics in gallery...

Tow smart!

Attached Thumbnails Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?-p1010078.jpg   Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?-p1010081.jpg   Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?-p1010073.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:33 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
What's the tongue weight limit on this model? Do you know if it would accept a 1 1/4 to 2" receiver adapter?

Originally Posted by Rev. MINIstry
MDM version.
More pics in gallery...

Tow smart!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by days-like-this
While trying to find out which vendors were scheduled to be at AMVIV this year (hoping MINI FINI was) I came across:

www.caboosetrailers.com

Check out their system specifically for the Countryman which utilizes existing holes. LOTS of photos. Love the trailer with sport stripes!

I know nothing about this system...just stumbled upon it.
Yikes. Only rated for 100 tongue and 1,000 tow -- not even Class I. A solid multi-bike rack with one ride mounted won't be far off that figure, not to mention added stress from bouncing, turning, etc. Hell, between my Thule rack and MTB, they're ~70 pounds combined. Construction appears to be relatively lightweight compared to receivers I've installed in the past. Welds look rough, but hopefully that can be chalked up to prototype? I imagine they didn't incorporate the MINI hex key to reduce additional custom fabrication costs over a standard hex bolt... And it's still a hefty $250, which seems to be the ballpark figure that MINI FINI and MINIDOMORE have targeted for their efforts as well. Has anyone found any other prospects out there?

Caboose Trailers has the dubious distinction of being one of the first (perhaps THE first?) commercially available Countryman hitch receivers on the market and it shows. I like that the receiver is completely external to the vehicle, making for easier access for mounting and inserting hitch pins and locks, but their design looks rather ugly and amateurish -- I'd hesitate to leave it on when I'm not actually using the hitch.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sirbikes
What's the tongue weight limit on this model? Do you know if it would accept a 1 1/4 to 2" receiver adapter?
According to MDM's website it's 200 tongue, 2000 tow, which only qualifies as a Class I rating...

http://www.minidomore.com/mini_coope...iler_hitch.php

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

Quick Reply: R60 Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?