1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russel at Mini Fini explained to me that there are two different ratings. One for the "tow package" (attached to the frame of your car). The tow package rating tells us how much weight that specific tow package is designed to support and haul.

There is also a separate "trailer linking" devices which attaches your trailer etc. to your towing package.... 1 1/4, 2" ***** and the system that attaches these devices to the towing package. These devices also are rated in terms of how much weight they are designed to support and haul. I believe these are rated on a little different scale than the towing packages are.

In the case of the Mini Fini Countryman offering, the tow package is a class III tow package which means the device they attach to your Mini is rated to pull 5,000 lbs. This does not, however, mean that Mini Fini or anyone else suggests you try to pull that amount of weight. Mini Fini supplies Class II attaching devices for attaching trailers etc. to their Class III towing packages. Again the Class rating is not a suggestion regarding what they are anyone else thinks a Mini can pull. Mini Fini advertises their rating because they are way over building their devices for the kinds of loads usually pulled by Minis, vs some, if not all of their competitors.

As most of us are aware Mini does not provide any tow rating for their cars in the US, even though they sell and install what is apparently a Class I trailer package in europe. The word I get is they just do not want the liability here in the US.

The Mini Fini Class III towing package attaches to your Mini's frame behind the bumper. The only hint of the Countryman having any towing capability will be a plastic cap covering a small square hole in the black grill just below the rear bumper. There is nothing other than the black cap in the black grill that protrudes or is noticeable. The linking system for attaching your trailer.. to the towing package attaches via the hole behind the black cap.

The license plate does not have to move to attach the linking system to the Mini Fini tow package as the attaching area is just below the license plate, not behind it.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
rabbitransit
1st Gear
Based on your description, I would prefer the mini-fini solution.
Did he provide ETA on availability?
They should get this info up on their website.

Originally Posted by MacMitch
Russel at Mini Fini explained to me that there are two different ratings. One for the "tow package" (attached to the frame of your car). The tow package rating tells us how much weight that specific tow package is designed to support and haul.

There is also a separate "trailer linking" devices which attaches your trailer etc. to your towing package.... 1 1/4, 2" ***** and the system that attaches these devices to the towing package. These devices also are rated in terms of how much weight they are designed to support and haul. I believe these are rated on a little different scale than the towing packages are.

In the case of the Mini Fini Countryman offering, the tow package is a class III tow package which means the device they attach to your Mini is rated to pull 5,000 lbs. This does not, however, mean that Mini Fini or anyone else suggests you try to pull that amount of weight. Mini Fini supplies Class II attaching devices for attaching trailers etc. to their Class III towing packages. Again the Class rating is not a suggestion regarding what they are anyone else thinks a Mini can pull. Mini Fini advertises their rating because they are way over building their devices for the kinds of loads usually pulled by Minis, vs some, if not all of their competitors.

As most of us are aware Mini does not provide any tow rating for their cars in the US, even though they sell and install what is apparently a Class I trailer package in europe. The word I get is they just do not want the liability here in the US.

The Mini Fini Class III towing package attaches to your Mini's frame behind the bumper. The only hint of the Countryman having any towing capability will be a plastic cap covering a small square hole in the black grill just below the rear bumper. There is nothing other than the black cap in the black grill that protrudes or is noticeable. The linking system for attaching your trailer.. to the towing package attaches via the hole behind the black cap.

The license plate does not have to move to attach the linking system to the Mini Fini tow package as the attaching area is just below the license plate, not behind it.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Russell had also mentioned that if you have a Sport Link II and want to use the attachments for it, he can install a similar one on the CM. It will have the two ports coming out fo the back and I believe yu would need to drill through the bunoer cover but your attachnments would be interchangeable for an R56 and CM.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When will the sport link for the CM be available? I want this solution because it is the only one where I can install the 2" receiver using the base attachment. This is a lot more expensive than all the other solutions available but it gives you the most flexibility and capability.

Originally Posted by callahan00
Russell had also mentioned that if you have a Sport Link II and want to use the attachments for it, he can install a similar one on the CM. It will have the two ports coming out fo the back and I believe yu would need to drill through the bunoer cover but your attachnments would be interchangeable for an R56 and CM.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sirbikes
When will the sport link for the CM be available? I want this solution because it is the only one where I can install the 2" receiver using the base attachment. This is a lot more expensive than all the other solutions available but it gives you the most flexibility and capability.
Ditto on that question. When? When? When MINI FINI?

While I like the stability of the two wide mounting points on the MINI bike rack, that's all it does -- hauls up to two bikes. And maybe some miscellaneous gear if you strap it on securely enough. But it really isn't designed for anything else. And like any MINI accessory, it's expensive as hell.

I have four-spot Thule bike racks of the 2" and 1-1/4" receiver varieties (don't ask) and I'd rather go that route since it's a useful reinvestment of funds to be up and running with vehicle transportable pedal pushers again.

Bring us some good news!!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
I did not discuss the option of using the "bike rack" system for hauling heavier weights. I think the problem with doing that is the supporting attachment is designed to hold the weight of a couple bikes not haul heavy loads.

The solution Russel recommended to me is the one I described above. The solution above involves a heavy duty metal support system that connects to the cars frame in front of the bumper. It is designed to handle up to 5,000 lbs (again not suggested for that weight but built that sturdy) whereas the bike support system was never designed to support more than maybe a hundred or two lbs. A bar hanging behind the bumper connected to the bike holes is no stronger than whatever system secures the two bike receptacles to the car.

As far as versatility goes, I would think the system I mentioned above is much more capable. I believe it is the same type system used on a wide variety of cars & trucks to haul heavy loads. The receiver behind the plastic cap, as I understand it, can accept standard Class II hauling devices. I believe there are all sorts of 3rd party devices that can connect to a Class II type receptacle, probably including bike racks.

I believe the solution I have mentioned is available now. Russel will be putting one on my Countryman and a similar device on Annette's R56 at the Dragon in a week or two.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
I received confirmation of shipping from MiniFini today for the receiver. The email mentions that there are no instructions included, but that they would email them to me...sure hope so...not too psyched about pulling the bumper cover off without any direction.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Jillrnc
2nd Gear
I have this installed. . I was the prototype car.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Jillrnc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
Can someone post pics of the MiniFini setup on their CM? Thanks.
Check my gallery. I have it installed. Love it.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:03 AM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
Nice Jillrnc,
I get mine this week at the Dragon. Are those Aesthetic Creations Stripes? I am scheduled to get green & white AC stripes on my cosmic blue countryman this week too. I'm getting the green Mirror caps (from MINI USA) and green out for around the turn signal light too. Very similar designs. Except I am suppose to get the flag edges on the roof (green, white & black).

Did the electrical hook up come with the tow installation or is that a separate install? Also what is the "Detroit Tuned treatment?"

Last edited by MacMitch; 04-25-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Jillrnc
2nd Gear
Detroit tuned treatment

I wish I could say that the treatment was go fast stuff- but instead it is lots of little extras that Chad did to my car. I gave him a budget and a general idea of what I wanted and he did tons of little details and more to come.
The engine is so peppy as it is I hate to think of any go faster details- I would like it to sound better but nothing is built yet for this car and I need to save up for the RD .
As it is I have the hitch-wiring-trailer brakes- skid plate- new exaust tips-new antenna-black line chrome- clear marker lights and turn lights- brush guard- rally lights- interior blackout-rally stripes- grill chili red outline- chili red brake calipers- window tint- racing seat belts- gauges- rally stripes- and shuttle chili red oh and he broke it in for me and set all the controls.
next on the list- new taller wheels and tires- rally red mud flaps

Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jill any idea when DT is going to have any of that stuff available on their site?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Jillrnc
2nd Gear
Detroit tuned treatment

I wish I could say that the treatment was go fast stuff- but instead it is lots of little extras that Chad did to my car. I gave him a budget and a general idea of what I wanted and he did tons of little details and more to come.
The engine is so peppy as it is I hate to think of any go faster details- I would like it to sound better but nothing is built yet for this car and I need to save up for the RD .
As it is I have the hitch-wiring-trailer brakes- skid plate- new exaust tips-new antenna-black line chrome- clear marker lights and turn lights- brush guard- rally lights- interior blackout-rally stripes- grill chili red outline- chili red brake calipers- window tint- racing seat belts- gauges- rally stripes- and shuttle chili red oh and he broke it in for me and set all the controls.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
I'm having a few things done at the Dragon. I figured out the trailer electrical hook up. I just picked up a Hopkins unit with both a 7 blade and 4 pin connector as covered hook ups and a 4 pin connector on the back to attach to the one Russel has as standard. I am hoping it will work and Russel will be able to install it with the towing package.

Aesthetic Creations will be doing my graphics, although there are quite a few similarities to Jill's. We had tinting done here. Annette has been working on black out mods for her new MCS. Aesthetic Creations will do her major graphics work too.

I plan to wait a while on tips/exhaust and tuning options until there are working options to choose from and a little more data on what they actually do to the cars. Annette has started some tuning work with Way at Way Motor Works who's shop is near us. I'm not interested in racing mods either, although Annette is interested and has done some of the BMW courses.

We will be at the Dragon Wednesday. We are renting a cabin, from an old friend of mine. We will have a pleasant 8 mile drive back & forth to Fontana Village.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jillrnc
Check my gallery. I have it installed. Love it.
Hi Jill --

Can you take any more snaps of the hitch receiver? Specifically, I'd like to see the exit point and how they trimmed out the diffuser grille. Do you always leave the ball mount attached?

On their website, MINI FINI just has a simple scrolling announcement with a link to a rather small photo and asks you to call them for ordering -- how much are they asking for the C-Link?

I'd imagine getting to the hitch pin on a regular basis is a pain, because it's still hidden behind the bumper cover? Then again, it should be slightly more accessible than the MINIDOMORE hitch since theirs is farther up behind the license plate. My use would likely solely involve interaction of bike rack inserted into the box receiver, but you never know.

Thanks for being a beta tester and putting your Countryman under the knife for the rest of us!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
itsmeagain
1st Gear
Too bad we don’t get this style hitch in the States. This would solve all the problems with attaching the tow bar; when removed you don’t see anything below the bumper cover and no holes to cut or deal with.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/mini-countr...e-tow-bar.html

Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 PM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
wiring harness for towing

Originally Posted by Jillrnc
Hey Jillrnc,
just installed my minifini hitch and am going to do the wiring harness for towing lights next...any chance you know which color wires behind the tail light assembly correspond to power, running lights, brake lights and turn signals?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
Call one of the Russels at Mini Fini, they may give you the answer. When Russel jr. was installing my wiring I believe he remarked "at least they have not changed the wire color combination on the Countryman". I would check that though.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:08 PM
doug_all4
2nd Gear
Mini Fini provided me the following info, which I checked before hooking up the lights.

Right turn: Gray – purple stripe
Left turn: Blue – brown stripe
Brake: Yellow – green stripe

Run lights: Gray – brown stripe – License plate lights
Ground: Left Corner – Bracket H/K Amp
Power to HOT on the fuse panel in the engine bay.

Wiring box can go in rear driver's side with lines running out to right turn signal, power, and the four wire connector out to the trailer. You can get to the running lights wire right in that same rear driver's side rear harness. We're pulling a small 750lb cargo trailer with no problems so far. Didn't try running power out to trickle charge trailer battery... just stuck with the 4-flat connector... not sure about MINI alternator capabilities. Also don't know if the transmission life will be significantly shortened. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:14 AM
joc111
Neutral
So, to clarify, is the Mini-Fini solution capable of accepting a 1¼"-to-2" receiver adapter? I have a small tailgating grill (see attachment) that utilizes the 2" receiver on my '03 Escape that I currently drive.

This plays an important role in determining if the CM4 is right for me as my next vehicle when I'm in the market later next summer/fall.

Attached Thumbnails Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?-2010-11-19_17-06-33_127.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Yes, see my posts. Lots of pics, including of the 1-1/4 to 2 in adapter that I bought from Harbor Freight.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...es-part-i.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...m-part-ii.html

Originally Posted by joc111
So, to clarify, is the Mini-Fini solution capable of accepting a 1¼"-to-2" receiver adapter? I have a small tailgating grill (see attachment) that utilizes the 2" receiver on my '03 Escape that I currently drive.

This plays an important role in determining if the CM4 is right for me as my next vehicle when I'm in the market later next summer/fall.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM
joc111
Neutral
Thanks, sirbikes.

How do you feel about the bumper separation illustrated in the first thread you linked? I'll be honest – I wouldn't be too keen on doing that to my vehicle.

I'm wondering if adding a 1¼" extender onto the Mini-Fini receiver, and then linking the 1¼"-to-2" adapter into that would be a viable solution.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
The 1-1/4 to 2" hitch adapters have fairly sharp square ends, so what I did was use my buddy's grinder to grind down the edges until it was a nice taper. Not so much that it would effect the strength at all, and it reduced the bumper separation greatly. So it's much improved now from what you see in the photo. Still some separation, though, but it doesn't bother me because (a) I've owned the car for five months now and the new car thing is wearing off, and (b) it's hard to see unless you stoop down, and when I remove it I can put the square piece that I cut out back (I used some velcro) and you can hardly tell anything was there.

You can add an extender but it reduces your carrying capacity even more, as well as create additional movement. I jammed shims in mine and used high strength steel bolts and nuts to eliminate play but there still is a little. I also put a four bike load on it and wouldn't recommend that either. Two seems fine and I have had zero issues with two bikes, including under some high speed maneuvering.

Originally Posted by joc111
Thanks, sirbikes.

How do you feel about the bumper separation illustrated in the first thread you linked? I'll be honest – I wouldn't be too keen on doing that to my vehicle.

I'm wondering if adding a 1¼" extender onto the Mini-Fini receiver, and then linking the 1¼"-to-2" adapter into that would be a viable solution.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 AM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you guys are working the issue thru correctly, the concern is the torque applied to the hitch mounting point, the car. The more you extend the ball mount the more the same weight increases the torque. The problem will be increased flex of the vehicles metal where the bolts are and cracking/fatigue of the metal will occur. 4 bikes on a rack will be too much, I would be very carefull about the grill shown on the Ford. I suspect the Ford has a tube type, frame mounted class 2 or 3 hitch. This is most likely using 6 bolts and is spreading the contact surface both up and forward. I believe the pictures I have seen of the products for the MINI use a flat plate mounted to the frame ends with no forward support. This is fine as long as you keep the tongue weight down under the 100/150 limit. Most trailers, loaded properly, will not torque load the same as a rack of the same tongue weight. I have seen travel trailers with the bumpers pulled from the frame weld points due to bike rack induced metal fatique. A 4 bike rack moves alot on a 1500 mile trip, a grill or carry-all will also.
I am not saying to not do this, just be aware of the potential issues and be smart about it. I am working on a tear drop size camper to tow, balanced properly I foresee no issues.
Mike

Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 AM
joc111
Neutral
Thanks for the additional info, guys.

The grill and its associated swingarm are together only about 60 lbs. – a tongue weight which should be plenty safe. It's the only thing I use my hitch receiver for, and my only impetus for getting it installed on my Escape in the first place. I've never had an issue with it shaking around – and I've taken it all up and down the East Coast; the fit of the swingarm into the receiver is very snug.

Quick Reply: R60 Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?