1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?

So my husband and I are looking at getting a new, smaller vehicle to replace our gigantic Nissan Titan Crew Cab. We are professional dog trainers and compete with our dogs in a sport called Schutzhund(originally for German Shepherds). So we travel with a crew of dogs generally. When we get rid of the truck, we have decided our best solution is a 4 or 6 dog trailer. These trailers aren't very heavy, even if full to capacity, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere what the Countryman can pull. A friend of ours pulls a 4 dog trailer with his Clubman, but still I'd like an actual number before pulling the trigger on this.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
The brakes, suspension, and power of the countryman is as good if not better than any of the early V6's of the 80's. You will be fine.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would be more cautious of a rig that has 2 axles for the pure fact that it was built to hold a load.
According to here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/03/...ally-revealed/

Allowable Towing capacity: braked (12%) / unbraked 1650 / 1100 (pounds)

Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Thanks for the link, that is the info I need I think.
Usually for hauling dogs, you want the double axle so the ride is smoother. There is nothing worse than driving 6 hours to a trial and your dog is beat to hell from the ride, so those who can afford it generally try to get a double axle if at all possible.
Annette

Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Thanks for the link, that is the info I need I think.
Usually for hauling dogs, you want the double axle so the ride is smoother. There is nothing worse than driving 6 hours to a trial and your dog is beat to hell from the ride, so those who can afford it generally try to get a double axle if at all possible.
Annette

Ah makes sense. my immediate thought is that a double axle is for increased load, but for a nice aluminum trainer and a few dogs, the weight will be very low. Does the trailer even have brakes?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Some have brakes, some don't we have narrowed it down to 2-3 trailers at this point. DH will make the final choice on w/wo brakes.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I sent an email to MINI Fini the other day asking if they had any plans to come out with a system for the Countryman. Here is the response.

Annette,
Yes, it is definitely in our plans. We will be getting the chance to
measure one up soon and then will start into the prototyping and production
phases. Stay tuned!

John

So, YAY.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Kenningtons
3rd Gear
I would never tow a trailer with a countryman. Too light, too short of a wheelbase.

I have seen way too many wrecks due to folks towing with undersized rigs.

Might want to reconsider.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I didn't know you could buy trailers for dogs. What a great idea. LOL

Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I've been pulling a trailer with my '06 MCS for years. These trailers are very small, about 60" wide and around 90" long and weigh around 700lbs fully loaded, way below the capacity of what a MINI can handle.
Here's the trailer I pull now, can't find a pic of it fully loaded up, but this one is maybe 400lbs topped out and is about 48" square.
Name:  EPSN0942.jpg
Views: 5100
Size:  79.4 KB

Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 AM
Kenningtons
3rd Gear
That's a lot smaller than the trailer shown in the original picture, but I still wouldn't do it.

In my experience, it's not so much about towing capacity, but how your vehicle deals with cross winds, sudden avoidance maneuvers, etc. when towing.

Which is what happened to 80% of the wrecks I attended. Everything was going fine. Then, all of a sudden...

I'd just hate to hear it didn't work out so well after all, and you guys & your dogs are hurt.

Paul.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:32 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kenningtons
That's a lot smaller than the trailer shown in the original picture, but I still wouldn't do it.

In my experience, it's not so much about towing capacity, but how your vehicle deals with cross winds, sudden avoidance maneuvers, etc. when towing.

Which is what happened to 80% of the wrecks I attended. Everything was going fine. Then, all of a sudden...

I'd just hate to hear it didn't work out so well after all, and you guys & your dogs are hurt.

Paul.
Then I don't think you'd ever hit the road over here. People tow trailers with EVERYTHING, at autobahn speeds, with no issues.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
I've been pulling a trailer with my '06 MCS for years. These trailers are very small, about 60" wide and around 90" long and weigh around 700lbs fully loaded, way below the capacity of what a MINI can handle.
Here's the trailer I pull now, can't find a pic of it fully loaded up, but this one is maybe 400lbs topped out and is about 48" square.

That's a sweet trailer! Where did you find it???

Old 01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryanzak
That's a sweet trailer! Where did you find it???

I made it .
I got parts from Harbor Freight and added sides and graphics and the lights. I had a trailer place make the bottom grate and painted the whole thing black.

Here's the link to the original thread when I built it in '06. Includes where I got the parts and about how much it cost.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-finally.html
Annette

Last edited by BoCRon; 01-17-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Kenningtons
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
Then I don't think you'd ever hit the road over here. People tow trailers with EVERYTHING, at autobahn speeds, with no issues.
Where is here?

I can guarantee that if you pull a tandem axle trailer with a Countryman, at 'Autobahn speeds (I take that to mean 75mph+) it will not end well.

It must be nice living in a country where nobody ever has an accident due to pulling the wrong trailer with the wrong vehicle at the wrong speed!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Where is here?

I can guarantee that if you pull a tandem axle trailer with a Countryman, at 'Autobahn speeds (I take that to mean 75mph+) it will not end well.

It must be nice living in a country where nobody ever has an accident due to pulling the wrong trailer with the wrong vehicle at the wrong speed!

Germany. I'm stationed at Ramstein AB. I'm tellin' ya. Almost every damned car I see has a trailer hitch on it. I even saw a new Fiesta with one today! I saw a guy towing a ski boat today with an E-Class. These guys are crazy out here.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
inomini
1st Gear
years ago I used to pull a double decker go kart trailer made out of steel with 20 gallons of fuel in the back seat with a Karmen Ghia VW. The longest trip was from central Ohio through the mountains of West Virgina to Virgina international raceway near Danville Va.

Inomini
2002 MCS Dark Silver/ White top
1974 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300 Dark Blue/ White top
2011 Countryman All4 on order

Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
twocute
2nd Gear
I've been towing classic Minis on a tow dolly for 20 years. I started using a VW Jetta GLI, then used an '04 Cooper S, now my wife's '08 Clubman S. You just have to be attentive and smooth. I've seen full size tow vehicles have wrecks, too. The driver is key to a safe trip.

'04 Cooper S
'08 Clubman S
'75 Clubman Estate
'78 Anderson Cub (Moke)
Homemade tow dolly

Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Kenningtons
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by twocute
You just have to be attentive and smooth. I've seen full size tow vehicles have wrecks, too. The driver is key to a safe trip.
I agree. However, it's the sudden gust of wind, debris on the road, dangerous lane change by another driver, blowout etc. that, if the tow rig is 'lightweight' is more likely to end in disaster.

I'm not making this up. I work for the DOT and have seen many accidents where the tow rig was just too small.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I made it .
I got parts from Harbor Freight and added sides and graphics and the lights. I had a trailer place make the bottom grate and painted the whole thing black.

Here's the link to the original thread when I built it in '06. Includes where I got the parts and about how much it cost.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-finally.html
Annette
That's what I was thinking about doing for a trailer for my Mini

Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 AM
jhendrix1
1st Gear
08' Cooper with hitch towing Hobiecat

towed my Hobie easily with my Cooper, will probably get a hitch for my Countryman S when it becomes available...

Attached Thumbnails Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?-img_1035.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my rig:

I've pulled the boat thousands of miles in SoCal. The cooper S is a very worthy tow vehicle for a class 1 trailer (1500 lbs max). It's relatively heavy relative to the trailer max. The suspension is stiff so it doesn't go nose up and bounce around. The power/torque also very capable for that size load.

I used to pull the same rig with a VW GTI Rabbit...mini was way better overall.

Mike.

I agree. However, it's the sudden gust of wind, debris on the road, dangerous lane change by another driver, blowout etc. that, if the tow rig is 'lightweight' is more likely to end in disaster.

I'm not making this up. I work for the DOT and have seen many accidents where the tow rig was just too small.

The following users liked this post:
SunBird (10-26-2019)
Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhendrix1
towed my Hobie easily with my Cooper, will probably get a hitch for my Countryman S when it becomes available...

What are the hitch options on the countryman? The S was a real BEAR for getting a hitch.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Mini Fini is working on a link system to work in the bike rack hook up in the bumper. Since we have a Nissan Titan (may be selling, may be keeping, haven't decided yet) and my MCS we can tow with both of those until the Mini Fini option is available.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 AM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
I am working on an order for my new Mini today. I have the sport suspension as an option. I selected the sport suspension at least partially because I may end up towing a dog trailer as Annette has explained. It has been my understanding with past vehicles that "towing packages" often include some sort of suspension stiffening to help with the increased load.

I felt that if the Countryman needed help with anything to haul loads of around 1000 lbs it would be the suspension. Although I also selected the larger 18" tires. I know the Mini brakes are outstanding, which would be the other major feature I would be concerned with when hauling a load.

Any other thoughts about what to order for pulling a load, before I sign this order?

Quick Reply: R60 Pulling a trailer with a Countryman?