1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no problem...seems like two different areas where these get posted...So the 1st one which was the BMW # ending 389 basic...worked as stated. Snapped right in and the the I Phone 4 fit like a glove..charged and still worked with bluetooth as it should...but did nothing on the Mini Connected side..did not even recognize it. Almost kept it as it was nice to get it out of the cup holder or off the seat. But it would of been a pretty expensive phone holder/charger...$150 something I think. And what would I do with it once the correct one is available...whenever that may be...we'll see. I was told by the BMW parts manager that the one for the 3G also uses the connection and car as a better antenna..and many customers have reported allot less dropped calls..we can only hope!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 PM
tsloan
Neutral
Talking Evo 4G and fourth gen Ipod touch

My countryman is on the way to the dealership as we speak....base price is $41,000....all the accessories I want tack on ten thousand more. I'm beginning to think it is not worth it if the electronics are going to be impossible. Indeed, I'm very, very concerned about all the issues cropping up with the Nav/Connected stuff. I have an Evo 4G phone and a fourth generation Ipod touch....sounds like it's going to be a complete nightmare for me since I would like to use Snap-in Iphone 4 adaptor for my Ipod touch and use the the wifi hot spot function on my Evo. My guess is that it is not going to work at all...I will have to switch cell phone companies...pay early termination fees with Sprint....switch phones....buy a new phone.....pay more for cell phone service....all this just to have the freakin' "snap-in adaptor" in the arm rest as a matter of convenience. Doesn't sound like there is any convenience to it at all. It would outwardly seem to be foolish to do so....but I've already pumped a ton of money into what was suppposed to be my dream car. Why stop now?...it's only money...

Please do not misconstrue the above. I love MINI....I already have a MINI Cooper Convertible in British racing green named "Anderson Cooper". Anderson is like my first child. However, I'm hoping "Trixie" the Countryman is not of the petulant, rebellious type.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I passed on Connected and NAV due to the iPhone only setup. I like android and am not changing. Saved me a lot on the Connected and Nav package and a standalone GPS can be had for about $100. I am a huge tech geek but do I really need to update my facebook status from my car control????

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tsloan
My countryman is on the way to the dealership as we speak....base price is $41,000....all the accessories I want tack on ten thousand more. I'm beginning to think it is not worth it if the electronics are going to be impossible. Indeed, I'm very, very concerned about all the issues cropping up with the Nav/Connected stuff. I have an Evo 4G phone and a fourth generation Ipod touch....sounds like it's going to be a complete nightmare for me since I would like to use Snap-in Iphone 4 adaptor for my Ipod touch and use the the wifi hot spot function on my Evo. My guess is that it is not going to work at all...I will have to switch cell phone companies...pay early termination fees with Sprint....switch phones....buy a new phone.....pay more for cell phone service....all this just to have the freakin' "snap-in adaptor" in the arm rest as a matter of convenience. Doesn't sound like there is any convenience to it at all. It would outwardly seem to be foolish to do so....but I've already pumped a ton of money into what was suppposed to be my dream car. Why stop now?...it's only money...

Please do not misconstrue the above. I love MINI....I already have a MINI Cooper Convertible in British racing green named "Anderson Cooper". Anderson is like my first child. However, I'm hoping "Trixie" the Countryman is not of the petulant, rebellious type.
Sounds like yours is the type of order that might be able to get the issue a little further up the flag pole. I am calling my dealer sales manager to complain. I know there not much that can be done at the dealer level, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If we all start inquiring about a fix we will get one sooner rather than later. Hint...Hint..

Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 AM
punkrockdoc
2nd Gear
@tsloan - I wouldn't rush out and buy a whole new phone just yet. For the time being, you can use your iPod touch with connected, and get all of the features except for web-radio and Pandora, and connect your Evo 4 by bluetooth.

Mini Connected is not going to be solely iPhone forever - I've read that an Android app is in development. They rolled out the iPhone app first based on percieved smartphone install base and some assitance from Apple. Although I am an Apple fan and have an iPhone, it wouldn't make any sense for Mini to not make an app for other smartphones, especially when people are turning down the option simply because they don't have an iPhone.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 AM
tsloan
Neutral
Thank you for all the comments. It alleviates some of the anxiety associated with my purchase.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 AM
asindc
2nd Gear
This is a related discussion about the Y-adapter for the iPhone, found in the 2nd Gen-Navigation and Audio forum:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...phone-4-a.html

Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Drockfresh
1st Gear
The satellite radio interface sucks. Since you can only save your favorite channels as a preset - a selected preset should flip to the "info" screen (artist and song title) after a brief pause. It can go back to the preset screen when the joystick is pressed. It's a quick fix that would make satellite much better - I hope they do this in an update.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:04 PM
whumpa
Neutral
Hi all,

New Countryman owner here - my first MINI!

=============EDIT=======================
I rebooted my iPod and now the video seems to play fine. I can confirm that audio is NOT in sync.

I wasn't patient enough - it took quite a while for the first video file to load and play.

The answer to my own question is - the place to play video is in the Multimedia section.

It has been noted elsewhere but may bear repeating - you can play songs with cover art in two places with MINI Connected:
1) via the plug-in
2) via the multimedia section - provided the cover art is embedded in the audio file or otherwise accessible.

I can also confirm what others have reported - the AV (non-usb) portion of the Y-cable may be finicky - it seems to come loose easily - at least for me.

=============END EDIT====================
I've been trying to diligently read this and other threads
(https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-thread.html) but can't seem to find a basic bit of information about playing video from an iPod Touch (2nd Gen).

From my reading it may be that my iPod is too old. I have the latest firmware/iOS installed as of today (April 17, 2011). For multimedia playback I read a PDF saying I must have a more recent generation iPod Touch.

I have the appropriate y-cable that came with the car.
The MINI Connected plug-in function works fine. I see the (somewhat "soft") video iPod interface with album art, etc. I'm fairly certain this is a video signal coming from my iPod because when it activates it has an analog-like video flicker and when I remove the video (non-usb) portion of the y-cable the plug-in iPod interface disappears.
Question 1: Which is the right place to be trying to play video? Using the Connected Plug-in or the Multimedia controls?

In the Multimedia section I can see a place where I can select videos on my iPod. I see the list and I can select them, but they do not play. I recently bought the Star Trek Blu-Ray and it had a digital copy of the movie. I used iTunes to install the video on my iPod touch. I can play the video on my iPod just fine but I'm not sure how to play it on my Connected screen.

I know the parking break must be engaged. By fiddling with the iPod I can play a video on the iPod and hear audio through the car stereo. Still, I'm not sure what the recommended procedure is. I have tried to engage the video-out option in my iPod settings.

I see from my owners manual that via the multimedia section I should be able to play H.264 and .mp4 video files. No dice so far. Again - according to the PDF I may need an updated iPod.

I know the interface is a little finicky and there is sometimes a specific order to getting things to work right.

I will have access to an iPad in a few days. I see that others have had success there. I also know of a few folks at work with iPhones so maybe I can try one of those.

Thanks much for any detailed hints or pointers.

Cheers,
-Kevin (& Torin)

Last edited by whumpa; 04-17-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: problem solved!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
I have Connected (no Nav), but can't seem to get the bluetooth to work with my phone. I get it to pair, then it says "paired but not connected." Really annoying...not sure what could be wrong?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had mine paired and working. Then it stopped and said paired and connecting. I turned off the phone and it was fine when the phone restarted.

Good luck

Bill

Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 AM
artwave
Neutral
Hi,

I have Visual boost (6FP) + arm rest (473) with Snap-In adapter (6NE+6NF) for iPhone 3GS.

I'm trying to get iPhone working with my visual boost, is it so that i need to activate bluetooth if I'm going to listen music from iPhone, because without bluetooth connection visual boost can not see iPhone at all, It's only charging the phone, nothing else.

I would like to listen music (with cover art) and watch videos without bluetooth connection, is it possible at all?

It is quite waste of money if Snap-In adapter is only for charging phone.

In connection list there icon about Snap-In adapter (after USB icon) and status is always Not Connected, should this be Connected, if I attach phone to Snap-In adapter ?

-Arto-

Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed an update for the pandora app for iphone/ipad and in the change notes it said it was updated to work with March 2011 production vehicles with mini connected. What would be different starting with March production that they would have to update pandora? Is there an updated version of the connected software starting in March produced CM's?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
I just installed an update for the pandora app for iphone/ipad and in the change notes it said it was updated to work with March 2011 production vehicles with mini connected. What would be different starting with March production that they would have to update pandora? Is there an updated version of the connected software starting in March produced CM's?
My guess would be it adds support to present information on the MINI screen, which I don't think it could do directly before.

I'll have my CM soon so I should be able to find out...

Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kgelner
My guess would be it adds support to present information on the MINI screen, which I don't think it could do directly before.

I'll have my CM soon so I should be able to find out...
I know it presents album art, song, etc. already so I wasn't sure what they were updating.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
Updated MINI Connected App!

Just checked, and new features include:

1. Mission Control
2. Dynamic Music
3. Prepare your own Facebook and Twitter messages on your iPhone

Also:

"Several improvements and bug fixes. Improved stability and performance."

Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
be aware that Mission Control requires 2x 100Mb + downloads (on the phone) to work.

also, editing the pre-written posts is kindof awesome.

will have to drive around for a while at lunch today to see how it all works!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Ok this update sucks, Minimalism, Mission Control, both have warnings they will only work with arm rest cradle, it's not even available for the iPhone 4 in the US yet, how stupid. Minimalism use to work fine with the cable.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Ok this update sucks, Minimalism, Mission Control, both have warnings they will only work with arm rest cradle, it's not even available for the iPhone 4 in the US yet, how stupid. Minimalism use to work fine with the cable.
No way that can be right. Can't even get the stupid cradle yet. Did anybody try it with the cable yet?

Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
No way that can be right. Can't even get the stupid cradle yet. Did anybody try it with the cable yet?
Yea I did and it wouldn't work anymore, warning popped up.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:44 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Yea I did and it wouldn't work anymore, warning popped up.
Wow, how dumb is that...can't believe they would force the use of a cradle that is not even available. Crazy.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Sounds like someone at Apple got hired to help with BMW IT.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 PM
AFWingnut
1st Gear
Yes I can hear audio with video on connected and it sounds sweet. But I have a problem with the screen. Only twice did the full screen play....other attempts have resulted in only 2/3rds of the screen playing.....the right side of the screen does not show up. I have tried different video files also. I know it works as it did for me twice. I'm thinking there are bugs to be worked out. Anybody else have that problem. BTY do you connect your ipod with the y cable or the armrest adapter? I have been told the adapter is not available yet. Anybody hear different?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM
DrPsyduck
Neutral
MINI Connected iPhone Update

Hey guys,

I updated the iPhone app today as well, hooked my phone up with the Y-cable, and both new features work just fine. The Dynamic Music thing is pretty cool, adjusting the tunes while you drive (right turn signal puts music into right speaker etc). The Mission Control Thing worked too, although it is likely a one-time use (random comments about your driving coming through the speaker). Not sure why you'd have an error message about needing the arm rest cradle...

Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
I have (so far) had no problems using Mission Control without the cradle. Just a regular Y connector...

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony