1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
kingalien
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Press release by BMW for the Mini Connected update can be found here.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
Possible iPhone Cradle Here

This thread has a posting from a site that claims to have the iPhone 4 Media cradle in stock. I ordered one with overnight shipping-I'll post when I have the cradle and test it out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=459546&page=2

Here is the direct link to the supplier

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

This thread here has pictures of the "Music" cradle, but I find it interesting (and encouraging) that even though the cradle is from a BMW supplier, it has "BMW/MINI" stamped on the bottom.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=46

I'll report my findings as soon as I get the cradle.

Last edited by rsbell; 04-28-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Clarified that the pics are of the Music cradle.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM
punkrockdoc
2nd Gear
Does Dynamic Play use the music on your iPhone? Or is there specific music you need to download? When I try to use it, it says that no tracks are found.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Passport Auto shows the BMW 84212199392 "Media Snap-In Adapter" part for $180. Did anyone ever figure out the right MINI part number? Or does it even matter at this point?

http://www.passportautoparts.com

Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 PM
asindc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Karrock
Passport Auto shows the BMW 84212199392 "Media Snap-In Adapter" part for $180. Did anyone ever figure out the right MINI part number? Or does it even matter at this point?

http://www.passportautoparts.com
That is the part number that has been identified in a couple of earlier threads as the most recent vintage. I emailed Passport and they said they have not received any yet.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by punkrockdoc
Does Dynamic Play use the music on your iPhone? Or is there specific music you need to download? When I try to use it, it says that no tracks are found.
It uses music you download from within the app itself. You can download various styles, each file is about 25-35mb each.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:30 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still having same problem with update, when I go to Minimalism or Mission Control screen pops up its optimized for armrest cradle, and will not work without it. No one else is having this issue?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Still having same problem with update, when I go to Minimalism or Mission Control screen pops up its optimized for armrest cradle, and will not work without it. No one else is having this issue?
Works on mine with the standard Y cable. Tried Minimalism, Mission Control, and Dynamic Music-all work fine.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:26 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Someone else reported same thing happening on iTunes, in the review, so at least I'm not alone hopefully they fix it soon. Might try erasing itband reloading it in the mea,n time.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
man44a
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Drockfresh
The satellite radio interface sucks. Since you can only save your favorite channels as a preset - a selected preset should flip to the "info" screen (artist and song title) after a brief pause. It can go back to the preset screen when the joystick is pressed. It's a quick fix that would make satellite much better - I hope they do this in an update.
I thought I was the only person hating this. It drives me crazy. Why would I want to see a list of my presets instead of the channel info? Just dumb...

Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 PM
tsloan
Neutral
Finally got my countryman today

Finally got my Countryman today after several delays...I now can safely say that the snap in cradle, a 4th generation ipod touch, and MINI connected are not working at all in my maxed out MINI...at least not with the snap-in cradle they installed. They supposedly called MINI directly to verify that it would all work...and which snap-in adaptor would be best. Very disappointed this evening...guess I will be back to the dealership on Tuesday when the resident gizmo guy will be back to work at the dealership.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:22 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
I have that issue with Mission Control, though not with Minimalism... although I've not tried Minimalism since I installed the update.

Also I have the automatic, not manual, and I think minimalism is different between the two (does more stuff if you have manual).

I'm going to order a cradle from the link RSBell posted earlier (make sure to select the fully featured cradle!) and see how that works.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
threar
4th Gear
Does anyone know if there's a snap-in cradle for the arm rest that can be used with the iPod Classic?

Old 04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tsloan
Finally got my Countryman today after several delays...I now can safely say that the snap in cradle, a 4th generation ipod touch, and MINI connected are not working at all in my maxed out MINI...at least not with the snap-in cradle they installed. They supposedly called MINI directly to verify that it would all work...and which snap-in adaptor would be best. Very disappointed this evening...guess I will be back to the dealership on Tuesday when the resident gizmo guy will be back to work at the dealership.
What part number is the cradle you have?

Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kgelner
I'm going to order a cradle from the link RSBell posted earlier (make sure to select the fully featured cradle!) and see how that works.
The cradle was attempted to be delivered today, but I wasn't home.

I made sure to tell the seller of the cradle that I would not be home, and he shipped it to be delivered without my signature, but the mail person (USPS) required a signature anyway...

Thus, all I got was a note to pick it up at the post office on Monday.

I'll report on Monday morning if it works.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Deleted and reinstalled app, same issue.

Really didn't wan't to have to get the over priced cradle, cause I usually upgrade to the next iPhone every year (wife has the previous model so we alternate, so I can always get the newest one) and I'm not planning on paying for a new overpriced cradle every year that doesn't come out till the model is practically outdated.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Socialnole
Neutral
So does it work?

Hello I'm a newbie to the forums. Very interested in the Countryman, but I keep flip-flopping on getting the Mini Connect system. Does it work like it's supposed to? Or what's the most common problem in trying to get this system to work correctly?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 AM
threar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Socialnole
Hello I'm a newbie to the forums. Very interested in the Countryman, but I keep flip-flopping on getting the Mini Connect system. Does it work like it's supposed to? Or what's the most common problem in trying to get this system to work correctly?
I just recently picked up my Countryman and it has the Mini Connected system. My previous MINI just had the stock. To be completely honest, Mini Connected is way better than the stock, but still has improvements to go. The menus can be confusing, and switching between things (like Nav and iPod and Plugins) can be cumbersome.

The reason I went Connected over stock was that with stock I knew I was going to upgrade the system at some point, but finding ways to integrate a new head with the dash (and that well known speedo) was getting complicated and costly. And with Connected, I can just complain that they didn't do it right, but at least it looks good.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Socialnole
That depends on what you think it's supposed to do...

I think it does work, I'm not sure how useful it is at the moment but there is a huge amount of potential there. There's a screen, and a custom control **** all of which the system can take advantage of. When you download app updates to your device, they are sent to the car when you connect so the system can easily be expanded (we've already seen one update).

The coolest potential for expansion though, is third party use of Connected. When you use Pandora (internet radio station) it presents a custom screen on Connected, that displays the current song just like it would with the built-in music player - but also Pandora specific controls like thumbs up/down, and bookmarking. I'm hoping we'll see other interesting applications come out that can display some cool data on this screen or do things the MINI software cannot (my dream would be GPS software on the phone but I fear MINI would not allow the integration because of it undermining the sales of the MINI GPS system).

I also personally think the center dash looks better with the connected screen than without.

The other very compelling reason to get Connected with the screen, is it has a great visualization of what is behind you when you are backing up if you also have the optional backup sensors. To my mind the combination of the backup sensors plus the screen are almost a must-have, since you can tell where exactly something is behind you and how close it is very easily. Plus, it looks really cool. Here's a shot of it in action:

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
"google Send to car"

I have used the google search under mini connected, how does send to car work? I have not been able to find it

Thanks

Mike

Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 PM
lithium77
1st Gear
From the mini connected website FAQ:

Can I use Mission Control while the iPhone is connected with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone (MINI accessory)?
  • In MINI cars with option SA6NE (Bluetooth mobile preparation with USB Audio Interface), produced 03/2011 and later, this feature currently only works in the snap-in adapter (MINI accessory). In MINI cars produced before 03/2011 or without the option SA6NE, Mission Control can be used with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone.
Can I use the MINIMALISM Analyser while the iPhone is connected with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone (MINI accessory)?
  • In MINI cars with option SA6NE (Bluetooth mobile preparation with USB Audio Interface), produced 03/2011 and later, this feature currently only works in the snap-in adapter (MINI accessory). In MINI cars produced before 03/2011 or without the option SA6NE, the MINIMALISM Analyser can be used with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lithium77
From the mini connected website FAQ:

Can I use Mission Control while the iPhone is connected with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone (MINI accessory)?
  • In MINI cars with option SA6NE (Bluetooth mobile preparation with USB Audio Interface), produced 03/2011 and later, this feature currently only works in the snap-in adapter (MINI accessory). In MINI cars produced before 03/2011 or without the option SA6NE, Mission Control can be used with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone.
Can I use the MINIMALISM Analyser while the iPhone is connected with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone (MINI accessory)?
  • In MINI cars with option SA6NE (Bluetooth mobile preparation with USB Audio Interface), produced 03/2011 and later, this feature currently only works in the snap-in adapter (MINI accessory). In MINI cars produced before 03/2011 or without the option SA6NE, the MINIMALISM Analyser can be used with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone.
thats f***ing ridiculous! WTF Mini, its a scam!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:41 PM
mjsteelega
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Suppose that is possible but it does work flawlessly for music including album art display and videos do play correctly except there is no audio. I don't really anticipate ever playing videos in the car other than to show off the system but would like to understand what the problem is and how to fix it.

Surely someone here has played videos. I'll have to try on my iPad and see if it works.
Still reading through the thread, and know this is a few months old, but O have played movies and video podcasts through mine and they worked great. Screen starts square, and a few second later jumps to 16:9. Yes the audio works fine.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
thats f***ing ridiculous! WTF Mini, its a scam!
So production prior to march can use cable OR snap in adapter?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:15 PM
lithium77
1st Gear
They do use the word currently so maybe that means it's going to change.

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony