1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
tsloan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbell
What part number is the cradle you have?
I'm not sure....I will have to find out...

Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
So production prior to march can use cable OR snap in adapter?
I don't think so, I think it's more a matter of software. On the way home from the dealer I was running MINIMalize just fine (I don't have the dock).

But, after I updated MINI Connected on my iPhone, and reattached it - now I can't get Mission Control or MINIMalize to run! Both give me the same message about needing a dock, even though like I said I was running it just fine days earlier.

So I think the deal with the March production thing is that March production vehicles got the update that you also get when you update Connected on your mobile device you attach to the car.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is interesting; does anyone have a listing of the Mini Connected software versions they're seeing this pop up in? Right now I'm still able to use my iPhone through the Y-cable and didn't really want to get the snap-in.

iPhone 4 - 4.3.2
Y-Cable PN - 2 179 623-01
MINI Connected App - 2.0.0
MINI Connected Multimedia - MX-002.007.003
MINI Connected Telephone - TX-002.007.003

Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Socialnole
Hello I'm a newbie to the forums. Very interested in the Countryman, but I keep flip-flopping on getting the Mini Connect system. Does it work like it's supposed to? Or what's the most common problem in trying to get this system to work correctly?
After going back and forth on the issue for a week myself, I ordered one without it. I got a chance to hook up my iPhone to one at the dealership and play around a bit, and while it was a very cool thing, I didn't feel the implementation was ready for primetime or worth the money. For me, a main problem was that to use all the features, I had to lock my iPhone in the armrest (and wasn't even sure if that would work, since I have an iPhone 4 and apparently they still haven't released the correct adapter). But since the UI/joystick is a pain in the butt, I didn't want to lose access to my phone's touchscreen. UI was my other big problem. It was annoying to navigate through. I'm sure I would have gotten more used to it, but I wasn't impressed enough up front.

There's a very good chance that continuing updates will make it awesome and better implemented, but I wasn't going to drop the money on that chance. I'll be quite happy with USB+Bluetooth.

In a year or two, if they work out the kinks, get their act together on adapters, and improve the UI, it'll be a kickass thing that I'll totally be jealous of. If they make the screen a touchscreen and really let you use all your core iPhone functions on it, I'll even salivate.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
rsbell….Hi guys. Please let us know the outcome of the cradle..I believe you mentioned you were picking it up today..
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:56 AM
jmdor
4th Gear
Theoretically I'm getting one shipped two-day air by getbmwparts.com. I'll keep the group posted.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Just talked to my parts guy and he's showing them in the east coast warehouse and will have it in Hartford for Tuesday as well with no shipping costs. Fingers crossed as this will be my 3rd and hopefully final attempt.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyer53
rsbell….Hi guys. Please let us know the outcome of the cradle..I believe you mentioned you were picking it up today..
Thanks!
Turns out it didn't get shipped until today, but I have the tracking number and it's scheduled for on time delivery tomorrow before noon.

I'll report tomorrow morning as soon as I have it and test it.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:03 PM
mjsteelega
1st Gear
Here is what is SUPPOSED to be working...

Sorry to hear that so many of you are having troubles. Kinda surprising seeing I have one of the very FIRST '11's with Mini Connected. I received my R57 in early January... Everything works fine, no adapter needed (that is just plain BS to have to buy a $200 adapter ). Y-cable seems to work fine on mine.

I have posted a bunch of photos I just took tonight. If you'd like to see any more, just let me know what you'd like to see. Maybe I'll do a video this week and post to YouTube. (kinda find the time though).

http://gallery.me.com/michaeljsteele...lack&view=grid

My big gripe is with their "Office Online" or whatever the heck they call it. I would like to have my calendar, contacts with photos and most of all, TEXT messages on the screen. iPhone is NOT YET SUPPORTED for any of this. Safety-wise, that is THE BIGGEST reason I bought Mini Connected (I commute from Raleigh to D.C. 2-3 times per month! Lot's of car time).

Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
I thought iPhone was the only phone supported? What phone supports the office online feature?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
KISS!?

To quote a song I heard yesterday: "Detroit couldn't rock it's way out of a paper bag".

Ok, just messing with you!

Thanks for the pics!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 AM
mjsteelega
1st Gear
"Detroit couldn't rock it's way out of a paper bag".

KISS!?

To quote a song I heard yesterday: "Detroit couldn't rock it's way out of a paper bag".

Ok, just messing with you!

Thanks for the pics!

LOL... show's a little bit of my age! Brings back a lot of memories. That said, being a european car snob, I was in Detroit two weeks ago and can see why they have failed miserably. oy!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 AM
mjsteelega
1st Gear
Mini Connected vs. Mobile Office

Originally Posted by youthanasia
I thought iPhone was the only phone supported? What phone supports the office online feature?
Mini Connected is "currently" only supported n the iPhone platform. Many of us expect other platforms (droid, BB, etc.) supported in the future. See my post here on it's functionality https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...66-post98.html

Mobile Office is a different APP in your car; and appears to have nothing to do with Mini Connected. It uses BlueTooth solely for connectivity to the devices and is device dependent on what functionality is available in the car. You can read more here: http://www.mini.com/connectivity

Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Ok-got the cradle that I had posted about earlier. It says "Media" on the cradle itself. The parts sticker on the bottom of the cradle just says, "BMW", not "BMW/MINI" like the pic that I linked to in my previous post.

Having spent 10 minutes with it, I will say that it does work very well and does everything EXCEPT video. Everything else works as advertised, including the Connected App, News (yes, it reads the newsfeed), Facebook, Twitter, Minimalism, Dynamic Music, and Mission Control.

It also charges, of course, and has a fan built in that helps cool the iPhone.

It doesn't give any error messages saying it was not designed for the iPhone or anything like that.

I'm keeping it because I never watch videos in the car, and it works perfectly otherwise. I'm also tired of having the phone take up space in the center rail that could be used for the sunglasses case or something else.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
rsbell…that's Great I agree with the video issue as well..unless your stopped with the E. brake on…you can't watch it anyways. Mine was suppose to be in but parts never got there order from the warehouse…they said tomorrow. Your's is the I phone 4 right ?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
$210. plus the Overnight shipping ? They quoted me $260. w/o shipping as they are getting it in to the dealership. If it's not in Wednesday then I'll do as you and order on line.

OEM BMW Apple iPhone Snap-in Adapters
iPhone 4 - Media (6NF or 6NR, from 9/2010 and up) $266.52 $210.00 $0.00 $210.00

Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyer53
$210. plus the Overnight shipping ? They quoted me $260. w/o shipping as they are getting it in to the dealership. If it's not in Wednesday then I'll do as you and order on line.

OEM BMW Apple iPhone Snap-in Adapters
iPhone 4 - Media (6NF or 6NR, from 9/2010 and up) $266.52 $210.00 $0.00 $210.00
They didn't charge me for the shipping, but yeah, $210.

Yep-iPhone 4.

It's a keeper

Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
My dealer has the cradles in stock finally.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Ok-got the cradle that I had posted about earlier. It says "Media" on the cradle itself. The parts sticker on the bottom of the cradle just says, "BMW", not "BMW/MINI" like the pic that I linked to in my previous post.
Just to make sure - it's the unit from this page:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Where you scroll down and select the item "iPhone 4 - Media 6NF or 6NR"?

I plan to order one as well and want to make sure I get the right thing...

Having spent 10 minutes with it, I will say that it does work very well and does everything EXCEPT video. Everything else works as advertised, including the Connected App, News (yes, it reads the newsfeed), Facebook, Twitter, Minimalism, Dynamic Music, and Mission Control.
Have you tried video when parked? I don't think it allows video to play while driving.

It also charges, of course, and has a fan built in that helps cool the iPhone.
That's cool (literally).

It doesn't give any error messages saying it was not designed for the iPhone or anything like that.
I would sure hope so in something that's shaped to fit an iPhone4 exactly!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kgelner
Just to make sure - it's the unit from this page:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Where you scroll down and select the item "iPhone 4 - Media 6NF or 6NR"?

Have you tried video when parked?

Yes, that is the same one I ordered: iPhone 4-Media.

Yes, I was stopped and in Park. Actually, I don't remember if I had the parking brake on-I'll try it again to make sure.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kgelner
Actually, the instruction booklet that came with it is for the 3GS, and it says that there would be a warning to that affect, but to just bypass it.

Some accessories will give that warning, even if designed specifically for the iPhone.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 PM
blacter
2nd Gear
Would an iPhone 4 that's in a case fit?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by blacter
Would an iPhone 4 that's in a case fit?
Nope, not a chance.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:03 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Correction!

Just confirmed that the cradle does NOT show videos whether the hand brake is on or off.

Also, just realized that the Plugin function does not work. The Connected screen just says that there is no Plugin compatable device connected.

Doesn't change my decision to keep the cradle, though, since I listen to music from the iPhone through the CD/Multimedia menu, not the Plugin menu.

Edit: I could see getting the "real" correct cradle when it becomes available, but I'll hold onto this one in the meantime.

I can see how this could be a deal breaker for some people.

Last edited by rsbell; 05-03-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:30 AM
punkrockdoc
2nd Gear
I have to say that I'm dissappointed that there is not some other way to hook up the iPhone in the armrest besides the cradle. Mainly because my iPhone is in a case, and it doesn't sound like the cradle will accomodate a case. It would be great if there was some sort of short adapter cable to connect the phone to the armrest input without the cradle.

Also, no Plugin option is a deal-breaker for me. The replicated iPod interface is sooooooo much easier to use, and is the feature that first got me looking at the car to begin with.

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony