1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
devmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JudgeS
I agree 100% Flyer, this is complete bull crap, when I have the time I'm going to call MINI USA and give them a piece of my mind. Hell if I had the money and the time, I think its worthy of a class action law suit. I mean its bad enough they force you to spend $250 for the arm rest (that only works with the cradle), to get Mini connect, but then they basically force you to spend another $200+ for the cradle to get the features, and thats not fully functional, and wasn't even available until now. They give almost no option to someone who does not want it in the arm rest (I'd rather have it where I can see it, I hate it being in the arm rest), except limited functionality. Not to mention I've been updating my iPhone every year so basically I'm being forced to pay an extra $200 every year to have connect, and if they keep on the current pace, I will have to wait 10 months before they have an adapter for that. It's just wrong.
I really really really want to know what is the supposed difference between the iPhone 3G/3GS cradle (plate) and the iPhone4 cradle (plate). I can understand a slight physical difference due to the slightly different form factors of the 2 phones. But beyond that, I can't really see a reason for the difference. And I also can't see tucking the phone in the arm-rest everytime I, or my wife, gets in the car, especially for a short drive. Simpler to leave it in my pocket if it doesn't need to be charged, or I'm not planning on using any of the special features that MINI Connected gives me.

Don't get me wrong here. We're glad that we got the MINI Connected package and all the crap we had to get with it. We also knew that we wanted a built-in navigation system, so again, not an issue. When researching a new car for my wife, iPhone/iPod intergration was one of the things that a new car had to have. I love the ability to stream music via bluetooth to the stereo. Especially when it automatically starts playing back from when I stopped. With our other two cars, we have physically plug the iPhone/iPod into a cassette adapter. The cars are so old that they didn't even come with an Aux input for the stereo. At least the Prius has a built-in Bluetooth hands-free system.

We have, however, found that the arm-rest is a bit useless. I suppose if we were taller it would be more useful, but it's current location and our shorter legs/arms makes it pretty much useless except to store gas receipts. Are we upset that we had to spend an extra $250 for a nearly useless arm-rest to get the rest of the stuff we really wanted? Sort of, but not really. We recognize that with cars these days, and they way that they are manufactured and marketed, you sometimes end up with stuff you don't really need or want, and sometimes you can't get everything you want. I will say, however, that this Countryman is pretty much *exactly* what my wife wanted in a car, down to the stripes on the hood, errr, bonnet. She was so thrilled at not having to settle for "close enough" with this car.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I ended up getting a Countryman off the lot, and it has MINI-Connected. Has anybody successfully gotten an iPhone 4 to work in theirs with all the features?

I'm not sure I feel like dropping $200+ on the armrest cradle anyway, but I'd at least like to know for sure that it works well. My MA said he just got part numbers for the iPhone 4 adapter, and he's sure it would work, but I'm skeptical, given people's problems so far.

I may end up keeping the phone out, hooking it up through the USB jack by the shifter, and ignoring the features that won't work that way.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 PM
punkrockdoc
2nd Gear
My car is a Feb build, and I can access all of the connected features with my iPhone 4 via the USB cable that comes with the car. The only feature that I haven't tried is mission control.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Has any one seen this, I think snap in adaptor we were waiting for is finally out, I called my local MINI sales but they said it is not showing in their system yet. here is the link http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...2_199_390.html

Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Sounds like that may be the one! Funny does not give a part #…even if you go ahead and order it, states from April 2011 and on..wondering if that's for production date of the cradle or the vehicle. Most everyone here looking for the right cradle have had there CM for a while. Last cradle I tried was marked 3/28/11 on the back along with 84.21-2218390-02, prior to that was ending in 391 and the 1st one was ending in 389. All but the 391 worked as they were meant to. 391 did nothing and the 4 phone did not fit well. Let us know if you hear anymore. MY Parts Mgr said that the 392's are in Europe.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Already sent an email to customer service of Minigenuineparts regarding the part number of this snapin adaptor, now waiting for their response fingers crossed..

Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Great... We'll wait to hear then

Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Yess the answer we were waiting for is finally here

Following message received fm minigenuineparts.co.uk BUT NO PART NUMBER REPLY :(

Hi Alen

Yes this is brand new and has literally been available for 3 days here in the UK.

This has full media functionality and is designed for all the new R60 features. Do you have MINI Connected, Visual Boost or Nav? If you have the screen, then you get even more functionality with this snap in

Best Regards

Last edited by ALIENLOVE; 05-11-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I've read a good bit of this thread, until my eyes bled and my head hurt. And I'm no further ahead. Here it is - - -

I have an April 11 build MINI with Nav, Connect, USB Smartphone. I also have a iPhone 3GS (4.3.3). I have tried:
Cradle 683 (6NE & 6NF) - I get nothing. No apps. No plugin compatible device.
Cradle 682 (6NE) - I get some limited function. Plugin works, Google, but not everything - some don't even show on the list.

Has anyone had 100% success? With which one? And, how?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Got my Countryman today. I have an iPhone 4 and did not get a cradle. They don't have them at my dealer, even if I were willing to pay for one. Without it, mission control, dynamic music, and minimalism don't work. If you pick them while plugged in with the Y cable, it says this "feature only works with full integration via the armrest cradle" or something along those lines.

So all I get is album art when I play music. Barely better than the AUX jack plus charging.

I also tried to log into Facebook and post a canned status update, and it did show my news feed but didn't allow me to post any updates. Nothing showed up when I picked the option to write an update.

So that's where I am after an hour of playing with it. If I discover anything brilliant, I'll post accordingly.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 PM
MINIATURIZE
2nd Gear
http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...2_218_390.html
I believe this one has a fan to keep the iPhone 4 from getting too hot as well. Could this finally be the one??
I pick up my CM-S tomorrow & my MA says he has this one installed & ready to go. I will report back...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM
less2
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry you are having such a hard time... But I have been using my iphone4 since day one. I have a December build with full functionality. Try upgrading to the most recent firmware and if you have a jailbreak on your phone some times that mess's with the app. Try hard resetting by pressing the home button and the power button at the same time and continuing holding until you see the apple logo. Then try again once it starts up..Good luck keep us posted.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIATURIZE
http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...2_218_390.html
I believe this one has a fan to keep the iPhone 4 from getting too hot as well. Could this finally be the one??
I pick up my CM-S tomorrow & my MA says he has this one installed & ready to go. I will report back...
I just ordered from german ebaythe one with the cooler and full media at euro99 (approx usd151) will let you know when I receive and install it. I know it is extremely cheap compared to minigenuineparts.co.uk

Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by less2
Sorry you are having such a hard time... But I have been using my iphone4 since day one. I have a December build with full functionality. Try upgrading to the most recent firmware and if you have a jailbreak on your phone some times that mess's with the app. Try hard resetting by pressing the home button and the power button at the same time and continuing holding until you see the apple logo. Then try again once it starts up..Good luck keep us posted.
My problems with full functionality are definitely intentional limits set on the MINI-Connected system, not with the phone. I can only hope that a future software update will unlock the pointless cradle restrictions.

Also, what you're describing is usually referred to as a "soft" reset. A hard reset usually refers to a process that wipes the data off and restores the device to default settings.

Last edited by tippykayak; 05-13-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This one works!

I finally got this yesterday. It is pretty pointless because it does everything the Y-cable does except video. Why BMW? I told my parts department that the part was the same for both BMW and MINI about a month ago, but they couldn't confirm that until two days ago. They have had access to this part for a month. Good Grief! It is nice for long trips. All of the Mini-Connected stuff works, and i will likely use an old iTouch with the y-connector that stays in the car.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM

I finally got this yesterday. It is pretty pointless because it does everything the Y-cable does except video. Why BMW? I told my parts department that the part was the same for both BMW and MINI about a month ago, but they couldn't confirm that until two days ago. They have had access to this part for a month. Good Grief! It is nice for long trips. All of the Mini-Connected stuff works, and i will likely use an old iTouch with the y-connector that stays in the car.
This the one I have and Flyer tried. It doesn't do any of the iPod specific stuff-Plugin and video.

Otherwise it works well.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
GeofreyM..I had the same one…The box or carton your holding shows 390 but as mine the cradle itself states 390-02 meaning the 2nd edition My date was stamped 28/03/11. I believe thats the latest produced. That cradle did not play back video and interfered with my bluetooth. I think the one ending in 392 is the one I'm waiting for.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Mine does everything except video(which I don't really care about), I think.....

@Scott- Can you be specific about "iPod specific stuff-Plugin"? I think mine works, but maybe I'm missing something.

@Flyer-I am not having trouble with bluetooth, that I know of. What issues did you have?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
It seemed like every time I went to the plugin feature…it disconnected my bluetooth phone, which was not a big deal…but when I took the iphone out of the cradle..seemed like I had to go through the screens to re-set to get my music to stream through the bluetooth which was a pain.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyer53
It seemed like every time I went to the plugin feature…it disconnected my bluetooth phone, which was not a big deal…but when I took the iphone out of the cradle..seemed like I had to go through the screens to re-set to get my music to stream through the bluetooth which was a pain.
Gotcha, I am not streaming through the bluetooth so it isn't bothering me. I'll deal with it. Lemme know what is different with the 392 when you get it.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
@Scott- Can you be specific about "iPod specific stuff-Plugin"? I think mine works, but maybe I'm missing something.
When I try to use the Plugin feature it tells me no iPod compatable device is connected.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:04 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I have a Feb build CM with Connected, an iPhone 4 running 4.3.1, and the stock y-cable (plus a dock connector extension) and I haven't yet run into anything it can't do. Mission Control, Dynamic Music, MINImalism, PlugIn, album art... Video while parked is kind of hit or miss, maybe it depends on the video, but everything else works great. I usually use PlugIn because I listen to podcasts and it's easier to navigate to them compared to the MINI interface.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
MINIATURIZE
2nd Gear
Unfortunately, the iPhone 4 cradle was NOT delivered with my CM-S yesterday. After reading all of the disappointment and trial & error regarding this part, I started to realize that if & when the correct media cradle is delivered & all is working as expected, I'm going to have to take the phone out of the protective case every time. What a PIA! Ultimately, I hope to find a short cable to adapt the proprietary connector inside the armrest & do away with the overpriced cradle. Install some custom cut foam inside the armrest to hold my iPhone+case & call it a day. Now to find some a brilliant 3rd party company that manufactures the cable

Old 05-14-2011, 04:55 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rsbell
When I try to use the Plugin feature it tells me no iPod compatable device is connected.
Ahh, gotcha. I don't find the need for it with the new interface. But, I understand your frustration with it. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting bit of news here. Passport/Alexandria spent several hours yesterday trying to get my MINI Connect to connect to my iPhone 3GS via the cradle. When they called it quits for the day, tech told me that he had e-mailed support at the mother ship and would let me know. I just got that phone call. There is a third 3GS cradle that is only available in Germany that, supposedly, is what I need. However, Germany parts will not sell it to the US. He's putting in a special request with BMW to see if they will make an exception. Plan B, if that falls through, is to upgrade to a iPhone 4 - and he'll put in for BMW to pay for the difference between the 3GS that I just got and the upgrade. Stand by . . .

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony