1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bentyyc
. . . but the number on the cradle itself ends with 390-02 (indicating that it's the second edition of this part)?
You're getting to be a real pain in the butt. Yep, it's an -02.

I also downloaded the themes and I'm still getting bupkis on the mission control.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sealy
You're getting to be a real pain in the butt. Yep, it's an -02.

I also downloaded the themes and I'm still getting bupkis on the mission control.
You're not the first to say that. Your efforts are truly appreciated!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Creakhead
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man just trying to get my head wrapped around this thread and this is really disappointing no one at mini told me i would have to pay even more to get some lame cradle to make all this possibly work....

Old 05-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Well stopped off at the Dealership to see if they had any more word on "cradles"…nothing more than the one for the I Phone 4, Part # ending in 390-02, which is the latest I tested and did 60% of what it should of..but had issues with the bluetooth when using it. Sure sounds like it's will be a while before things get straightened out. They actually offered the last one I had to me at a discount…guess they appreciated me being there ginny pig.
So on my way back to the office, I stopped at an electronics store (Cables & Connectors) Great place ! they pretty much have it all. Bought a USB extension and A/V Patch cable 3.5mm-4 contact, all for $20 bucks and for now will just use the Y connector with extensions and wait and see what happens with the cradle issue. A/V cable was only available in 6', so plenty of room to place it almost any where, in the armrest, cup holder, small tray in front of cup holders, rail, glove compartment…just about any where. I'm sure i'll find a spot and hide and neaten up the cables…but it all works…even video when parked. Things like office other than contacts, like email, calendar, appointments, etc. is forthcoming I was told through the mini connected app. update not a software update through the car itself. Well after a week of rain here in Ct..a few hours of sun…it's back to rain again ……And as they say…It's Five O'clock Somewhere !!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakhead
Man just trying to get my head wrapped around this thread and this is really disappointing no one at mini told me i would have to pay even more to get some lame cradle to make all this possibly work....
Welcome to the world of BMW. This is pretty much SOP for them.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIATURIZE
The provided Y cable is rather short & placing the iPhone on the passenger seat is really the only safe place to put it. (Until you have a passenger) There are extension cables available to add length. That may be a trial & error process as well because not every cable is produced with all of the connecting pins that are necessary for Connected to work. Hopefully someone on this forum has purchased one that works & will pass the info on here.
I bought [this] dock connector extension cable from Buy.com for $5 and it gives me enough length to put my iPhone on my passenger seat (where I usually throw it driving to/from work) or to put it in my Cravenspeed mount by the tach. Everything works with it (album art, Mission Control, MINImalism, Dynamic Music, video, Plugin).

Old 05-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Siriuszero....how long is your cable,,,also does it charge as well?
I recently purchased extensions (earlier post) for the USB & A/V patch cable side of the supplied Y cable.
Was able to run it almost any where but yours seems more compact, neater, just one cable and a few bucks less...not that that matters as mush, just nicer to have other options. Thanks, Fred

Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyer53
Siriuszero....how long is your cable,,,also does it charge as well?
I recently purchased extensions (earlier post) for the USB & A/V patch cable side of the supplied Y cable.
Was able to run it almost any where but yours seems more compact, neater, just one cable and a few bucks less...not that that matters as mush, just nicer to have other options. Thanks, Fred
It's about 4 feet (I loop it around the shifter) and it does charge as well.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Great..thanks again. I'm going to order one Monday.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 AM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I bought [this] dock connector extension cable from Buy.com for $5 and it gives me enough length to put my iPhone on my passenger seat (where I usually throw it driving to/from work) or to put it in my Cravenspeed mount by the tach. Everything works with it (album art, Mission Control, MINImalism, Dynamic Music, video, Plugin).
Thanks for the tip. I bought 2 other dock extenders, but they only supported the video output, no audio. What's up with that????

I will order this one today & see how it works for me. Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM
silvernuke
3rd Gear
For those with Connected only.. Did your car come with audio/video adapter for iPhone/iPod (a.k.a Y-Cable)?

My MA told me it does not come with him but that's hard to believe...

Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by silvernuke
For those with Connected only.. Did your car come with audio/video adapter for iPhone/iPod (a.k.a Y-Cable)?

That is such a lie. It was wrapped in plastic in the glovebox both in the car I bought and in a non-Countryman I sat in when I was learning what MINI-Connected could actually do.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by silvernuke

It definitely comes with the car. I remember this happening with some people who bought the '08's ... some dealerships were trying to sell for $100, but it was supposed to come free with the car!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 AM
lonestarbuzz
2nd Gear
mine did not come with the cable, however, this was a mistake that the dealership took care of by ordering one and giving it to me. the cable it did come with was the regular Y cable (the aux plug only transfered audio, not audio and video). the cable should have come with the car. mine is just Connected, no Nav.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
silvernuke
3rd Gear
Great! Thank you all for the info. It's time to grill my MA!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
To ALL us Cradle fanatics !
Just received an email from the Parts Manager who has been very patient with me as we have ordered & tried (3) separate cradles for the (I Phone 4).

Fred,

This is some new info on the snap in adaptor for you MINI. I was not aware there was that big a difference between the vehicles in this situation.

Thank you,

Parts Manager
New Country BMW/MINI

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 2:26 PM
To: Parts Consultant Group
Subject: 84-21-2-218-390

I have a customer with a 2011 MINI Countryman (vin ######) and he has an iphone 4 and was looking for a snap adapter. Based on the BMW his vehicle would require the 84-21-2-218-390-02 media version adapter. I got this part for him even though it is BMW and there are problems with it. It will not display the cover art and it will not do video playback. Is there something that I am missing? Or will this not work in a MINI?

Thank you,
Parts Manager
New Country BMW/MINI

Hi, I didn’t see a bulletin for the MINIs… it’s not for MINIs.
See below…

Parts Consultant Group
BMWNA

No, this iPhone4 media snap in adapter is not for MINI vehicles.

There will be new number for MINI SIA but they will not be available until summer.
In the meantime the customer should use the video/usb cable
61 12 2 179 623. This will give all of the needed compatibility with his iPhone4 including cover art and video playback.

So I guess it's at least a few more months..before the correct cradle for Mini is available. Thought those following the news and the cradle (specifically for the I phone 4 only) would be interested in reading.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM
MINIATURIZE
2nd Gear
Thank you Flyer53 for the update!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
So the iPhone4 cradle doesn't exist yet? After all that?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Yep..after all that…at least not for use in the Mini/Countryman.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
I'm so glad I have you guys to do the hard parts of this. I can just wait and follow the thread until somebody gets an actual working setup.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
lonestarbuzz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tippykayak
I'm so glad I have you guys to do the hard parts of this. I can just wait and follow the thread until somebody gets an actual working setup.
+1

Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 PM
iconoclast6
2nd Gear
My MA just contacted me about wanting a 10 on the post sale survey...and I replied by asking about the iPhone cradle before I fill it out....

It may not be his fault, but....

Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
I honestly don't think that the MA's were kept up to speed in regards to the cradles. Probably most dealerships were kept out of the loop. This is my 3rd mini from this dealership and probably has been my best experience & I left the day I picked it up without a working nav. Whether it's Mini, MiniUSA or MiniBMW....they offered us, sold us and now they need to fix the issue...which seems to be in process. Unless you have other issues with your MA...I think it would be unfair to penalize him...Which was well out of his control. your call I guess....

Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
lonestarbuzz...+1.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:26 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
I second a thanks for Flyer53 to let us know there really is no correct part currently... what's weird about this of course, is that MINI just changed the software to require the cradle for MINImalize, and also for Mission Control (a brand new feature). They really need to re-think requiring the cradle for these or almost no-one is ever going to see them.

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony