1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:58 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...had a long awaited day off....since part of the rail system was loose and apart as I'm refinishing some of the plastic pieces, I started to look more at the armrest and what it would take to move it back a few inches to give more room for rail items between the e-brake and the armrest where it is now.
A few hours later...the armrest that houses the the correct cradle is out and the rail is back in. I'll post a few pics later. I actually don't miss the armrest as I drove most of yesterday...except for the little storage it had. I could widen and lengthen the slot in the rail where the harness from the cradle runs trought the bottom of the rest through the rail. As hoped they all connected under the plastic cover that houses the plugin for powering up accessories. I'll see what it might take to remove the base from the armrest that someday might house the I phone cradle 4. Would like to possibly mount the armrest on a base that fits for the rail...be able to move/slide it as needed. There will be more room in the arm once the cradle base is removed
for misc. Items. If the correct cradle were here doubt I would be storing pens, keys, change etc. ... on top of my unprotected I phone! Perhaps another mount cradle base elsewhere. The hardness is much different than the USB/RCA plug in's in the front of the rail, as I havecthat apart and there is plenty of loose wire to move those plug in's which I have over to the right cup holder base. Hope to post some pics later as Countryman really looks pretty good with out that "needed expensive" unavailable cradle armrest

Last edited by Flyer53; 05-29-2011 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-29-2011, 08:08 AM
tx-G-pa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I bought [this] dock connector extension cable from Buy.com for $5 and it gives me enough length to put my iPhone on my passenger seat (where I usually throw it driving to/from work) or to put it in my Cravenspeed mount by the tach. Everything works with it (album art, Mission Control, MINImalism, Dynamic Music, video, Plugin).
I also bought the extender cable. It works just like Siriuszero states - everything works. Now I simply rest my connected phone in a cup holder right behind the arm rest. It is nice that now I can actually have my phone easily accessible while it is connected with a longer cable. That way I can start Mini Connected or Pandora after I get a phone call.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:56 AM
John Richard
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
Here's what I wrote:
Dear Ms.Bauters,

I am the proud owner of a MINI CountrymanS. I am overall very happy with the car and must say that it brings me a great deal of satisfaction every time I drive it........with one glaring exception. I am writing you to tell you about it and I hope get some resolution.

When I ordered my car I was very intrigued and excited by the connected system, as I am an avid iPhone user. I ordered Connected. I was then told by the dealer that if I ordered Connected I also had to buy the mandatory armrest $250. I asked if this would be where I would dock my iPhone and I was told only if you buy the cradle($200+). This didn't sit well with me, but I figured it was a small price to pay to get one of the first CountrymanS. I also thought that surely there would be enough push back from the customers and hence the dealers that it would get resolved.

I took delivery of my car the first week of January. At this point I had a mandatory Connected arm rest that did nothing. Fast forward to the 3rd week of May and I now have a $255 cradle that doesn't not provide me with all of the functions that a simple Y-cable does with my phone flopping around in the rail. This is unacceptable to me. I have brought this to my dealer's attention on several occasions and get a reluctant agreement that it is not a good situation. She has tried to get answers as has the parts department. All of this is to no avail. They have been told there is a part available in Germany, but that they cannot order it.

At this rate, Apple will release a new phone before this system that I have already paid for is operational. I am not happy with a system that keeps getting more expensive and still does not work the way it was advertised when I ordered my car.

If you can be of help I would greatly appreciate it, if not can please forward this letter to someone who can. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your prompt response.

Best Regards,
There are two cradles. The first one for $255 ONLY charges the phone. There is a new one in production that will handle all the functions needed for the iPhone through Mini Connected. This one is going to be in the neighborhood of $375...so I'm told. And, there is a long wait list for them at my dealership.

I inserted one of the cradles into the arm rest and feel they don't justify the cost. While nice, they hide the iPhone and make it difficult to glance at the screen should the need arise. Also, way too expensive. Instead, I just use the provided teather and lay the phone on the seat or in the center rail beside the emergency brake handle.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW, I have not received an answer. Customer satisfaction is obviously VERY important to them.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
John Richard..there is a part available in germany but its for BMW.
The Mini cradle for whatever reason is a different cradle completely!
Somewhere I posted an email from my Parts Mgr to Mini/BMWUSA, they explained that there is not yet a cradle available for the Countryman that will do ALL the functions the supplied Y cable does and that is what should be used until one is available sometime this summer. If I find my post and re-post it…but in simple terms the Y is what's available and to be used for full functions. I think we ALL feel your frustrations as I received mine in Feb. and have gone through 3 different cradles.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Pics of the I Phone Base that some day will hold the correct cradle out of the armrest and in photo gallery, for those who care to see.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Flyer53
John Richard..there is a part available in germany but its for BMW.
The Mini cradle for whatever reason is a different cradle completely!
Somewhere I posted an email from my Parts Mgr to Mini/BMWUSA, they explained that there is not yet a cradle available for the Countryman that will do ALL the functions the supplied Y cable does and that is what should be used until one is available sometime this summer. If I find my post and re-post it…but in simple terms the Y is what's available and to be used for full functions. I think we ALL feel your frustrations as I received mine in Feb. and have gone through 3 different cradles.
Just remember ... if your car was produced in March or later, the Y Cable WILL NOT support all functions. These production models cannot access MINIMALISM, Mission Control, or Dynamic Music - you will get a warning message that these can ONLY be accessed with the cradle option. "Funny" since that option isn't even an option yet!!!!!

Last edited by wildfamily; 05-31-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
BTW, I have not received an answer. Customer satisfaction is obviously VERY important to them.
Same here, no response.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Very True…wildfamily! Funny the production date on the base that will hold the correct cradle that I removed from the not so much needed armrest.. reads
2/2010….Well before any of the Countryman were produced..Would of thought someone would of worked on a correct cradle as well.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
I think I posted Mini's reply to my Part's Mgr…questions mentioned summer at the earliest for a cradle for the I 4 phone. (2) very separate cradle's as far Mini & BMW

Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Customer satisfaction is obviously VERY important to them.
Passport MINI

They spent an afternoon trying to get mine to work. No luck. Explained that I had upgraded to 3GS and bought two cradles, then upgraded again to 4G and three other cradles. No solution, but they did send me a check to cover the upgrade from 3GS to 4G. If I put it in a high-yield CD, I may have enough to cover the new whiz-bang MINI cradle when it comes out.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
Passport MINI

They spent an afternoon trying to get mine to work. No luck. Explained that I had upgraded to 3GS and bought two cradles, then upgraded again to 4G and three other cradles. No solution, but they did send me a check to cover the upgrade from 3GS to 4G. If I put it in a high-yield CD, I may have enough to cover the new whiz-bang MINI cradle when it comes out.
That's great. The local dealerships can make or break the MINI image - that is for sure.

I was contacted by my MINI Dealership today ... I had informed them of the issue so they could educate other buyers. In return, they have offered a free cradle for me when they come out. I wasn't trying for a free part, but appreciate their customer focus. (And, of course, I will take it! )Now, that's good service - Thanks SEATTLE MINI - you rock!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 PM
John Richard
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wildfamily
Just remember ... if your car was produced in March or later, the Y Cable WILL NOT support all functions. These production models cannot access MINIMALISM, Mission Control, or Dynamic Music - you will get a warning message that these can ONLY be accessed with the cradle option. "Funny" since that option isn't even an option yet!!!!!
I can now see why Mini is rated near the bottom in categories relating to after-sales issues. Or whatever it is called.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 AM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by John Richard
I can now see why Mini is rated near the bottom in categories relating to after-sales issues. Or whatever it is called.
What report are you citing for this? (Other than this issue with the Connect, I don't know if I would agree - my dealings have been very good.) I'd like to take a look & see.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 AM
John Richard
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wildfamily
What report are you citing for this? (Other than this issue with the Connect, I don't know if I would agree - my dealings have been very good.) I'd like to take a look & see.
Yup, my experience too. But, I read the report somewhere a few weeks ago. Might have been on www.motoringfile.com. It compared the Mini to a dozen or so other makes, and we were at the bottom in frequency of need to have something corrected.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 AM
punkrockdoc
2nd Gear
One thing that I've noticed - Using Pandora, and the usic streams beautifully. When I use the webradio, during the same drive to work, I lose signal every 1-2 minutes. Maybe Mini needs to talk to Pandora to see what they need to change in the software to improve this. Anyone else notice a similar issue?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
rewdpost
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by punkrockdoc
One thing that I've noticed - Using Pandora, and the usic streams beautifully. When I use the webradio, during the same drive to work, I lose signal every 1-2 minutes. Maybe Mini needs to talk to Pandora to see what they need to change in the software to improve this. Anyone else notice a similar issue?
I haven't played with this yet, but it could have to do with the quality of the stream you are using.
Have you enabled the high quality stream on Pandora yet? If not, give that a try and see if you have problems in the same locations. I'm guessing it has to do with how much data they buffer compared to the bitrate of the stream.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 AM
punkrockdoc
2nd Gear
I've been using the high quality stream on Pandora, and no hiccups. But the webradio has become downright unlistenable on my commute to work.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM
rewdpost
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by punkrockdoc
I've been using the high quality stream on Pandora, and no hiccups. But the webradio has become downright unlistenable on my commute to work.
Strange. I'll let you know next week if I have the same issues or not. I know there is a stretch of cell instability on my drive to/from work that usually causes a problem even with Pandora.
I'll see if either or both have problems...once my CM shows up.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 AM
BeauB
Neutral
Got my Countryman S yesterday and was pretty disappointed to find out about the whole post March build requiring cradle for Mission Control and Analyser. So I went back in today to get a cradle (having not previously read this thread) and they had one in stock for $240-something that they discounted 10%. We went out to the car and tested it and everything looks good.

So.. I'm a bit surprised to read here that there is no "right" cradle out for the iPhone 4 yet. I guess I need to thoroughly check the functions of this cradle, but thus far I've messed with Analyser and Mission Control and verified that iPhone songs and album art display. I'll verify that the bluetooth works unimpeded and that video and Pandora work as well later this afternoon.

Only possible gotcha I've seen so far is that Mission Control was pretty quiet except on start up, pushing Sport and turn off. Also, the Analyser did update the score and the acceleration and braking stars, but the little fishbowl thing on the car really didn't do much at all (thought it'd sway one way and then the other on acceleration and braking). So I'm a bit concerned on whether the iPhone gyro/accelerometer data is being transmitted.

Last edited by BeauB; 06-10-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2011, 11:29 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Pandora has worked flawlessly for us too.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM
lonestarbuzz
2nd Gear
beaub- i think the fishbowl won't sway one way or the other (mine doesn't). it will fill up (slowly) or drain depending on driving style. you can't kill the fish either (i've tried).

lindseybp- i like pandora too, great feature!

i don't have the cradle. my pre-march build only needs the y cable. can you do me a favor, beaub... can you check to see if an ipod classic would fit in the cradle? i'd like to get a cradle but mainly for my ipod and not necessarily my phone. it would be nice for my phone too though, if i can get one that can handle both.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
BeauB
Neutral
I spoke too soon, sorry! Definitely not the 100% solution that we deserve (especially for the extra almost $250).

Plug-in's work - Pandora came up without issue. Two problems though - first, the video on the external media/iPhone menu is unavailable. It does work with my y-cable and in fact, when using it to play a video and then moving the iPhone to the cradle, the video audio and its "album art" display. However, in the left-hand set of vertical icons the video icon is not present when using the cradle.

Second problem is even more troublesome - overheating. My iphone was basically too hot to handle and went into "needs to cool down screen". This was in less than 15 minutes of use. Its hot here in Atlanta, but AC had the car comfortable cool.

In spite of that, I'd try the iPod classic for you, but don't have access to one - sorry. Tend to doubt it though as it must be a good bit thicker and the iPhone 4 is latched down by the cradle.

Taking the cradle back obviously and crossing my fingers for the proper Mini one soon. Very irksome to purchase an expensive option that is falsely advertised as doing more than it is currently capable of.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BeauB
Very irksome to purchase an expensive option that is falsely advertised as doing more than it is currently capable of.
I'm going to assume you've seen most of the preceding 18 pages of posts? I'm stuck with the 4 cradle - but mine has a fan in it for the heat problem. That's one good thing. Info about the promised new and improved unit is in the Nav/Audio section.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Check out my New Mini I Phone Holder pictures posted in my gallery

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony