1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
millicentmini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to my MA, a bulletin was released last week stating that the snap in cradle WILL NOT be required when iOS5 is released in the Fall. Supposedly, when we update our iPhones to iOS5, the functionality will be restored. I'll try to scan that page of the bulletin and post it later.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:49 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blacter
Here's another question.

Suppose MINI agreed that this situation was "f-ed" up and came up with a reprogram of the MINI-Connected software that allowed all the features to work with the cable. How would we get the updated software? Basically, could we download and install it ourselves, or would we have to go to the dealer?
You would download the new version from iTunes, where you get the software from to begin with. I had the previous version on my iPhone and while it was missing some features, it all worked with the cable, it was just the last update that changed things. Hopefully that is what they do and soon, just create an update that fixes all the problems and silly restrictions.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by millicentmini
According to my MA, a bulletin was released last week stating that the snap in cradle WILL NOT be required when iOS5 is released in the Fall. Supposedly, when we update our iPhones to iOS5, the functionality will be restored. I'll try to scan that page of the bulletin and post it later.
That's GREAT news!!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
. . . the snap in cradle WILL NOT be required. . .
So, does that mean that my gosh darn 4th purchased, $250, stamped "NO Return" cradle will be useless? Or can I still use it if I want to?

Sealy - Who's starting to wonder what the BMW/MINI KY is going to cost.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Thats great if true, although are they that lazy that they can't update it before iOS 5. Still good news none the less.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Thats great if true, although are they that lazy that they can't update it before iOS 5. Still good news none the less.
I think its probably a matter of cost vs laziness to develop, test and deliver a fix they hope addresses the issues to cover a less than ~3 month period vs. waiting for Apple to drop their iOS5 update free of charge to MINI.

From MINI's point of view, whats more costly, a few more months of handling already upset customers that are now just waiting for a fix for something they've accepted as broken or shelling out the money to fix something that should be addressed by Apple in a few months? I don't know what MINI's priorities are between cost & customer satisfaction, but based on the bulletin that's mentioned, I think I can make a guess...

Not saying it's right, but in the end most all decisions come down to cost/money. I won't be surprised if this fell into that category.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rktcyntst
I think its probably a matter of cost vs laziness to develop, test and deliver a fix they hope addresses the issues to cover a less than ~3 month period vs. waiting for Apple to drop their iOS5 update free of charge to MINI.

From MINI's point of view, whats more costly, a few more months of handling already upset customers that are now just waiting for a fix for something they've accepted as broken or shelling out the money to fix something that should be addressed by Apple in a few months? I don't know what MINI's priorities are between cost & customer satisfaction, but based on the bulletin that's mentioned, I think I can make a guess...

Not saying it's right, but in the end most all decisions come down to cost/money. I won't be surprised if this fell into that category.
And as an Android user, this doesn't give me confidence that MINI will actually support Android since there's a lot more diversity in handsets (read as more variables to have things not work correctly). If they can't get their act together to support a single handset type with the only variation based on handset generation for iPhone, I have zero hope they'll be able to support different generations of HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, etc. Android handsets.

Might actually force me to move to iOS, but from why I've read, it doesn't look like I'll be missing anything when I get my CM.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Well I'm assuming it's not iOS5 thats fixing it (I don't know how that would be the case), its that they would optimally need to release a new version of the Mini Connected app then anyway. Not sure it would really cost anything to release a revised version now though.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
{snip}...waiting for Apple to drop their iOS5 update free of charge to MINI...{snip}
Apple iOS developers have had free V5 software for some time. In fact, IIRC, developers have had three different iOS5 betas/golds already dropped on them.

More likely, MINI is modifying/enhancing the current software to include new Connected features or to integrate new iOS5 features into the existing functionality. Also, as those who develop software know, most of the time taken in releasing new software is the testing and remediation process. I can only hope that the time MINI is taking is being spent on the testing process!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:35 PM
OneTraveler
2nd Gear
So not a cradle/no cradle complaint (connected on my post March produced Countryman does everything that I want it to do through the cable), but a question about information displayed on the screen. After driving Archie up to Alaska from Missouri, I spent a few days with a buddy of mine in Homer. Let him drive one day, and as soon as I plugged my phone in, the Mini screen displayed something I had never seen before: the iOS familiar blue dialog box stating that I had a missed call. It was being mirrored from my phone on the Mini screen. Has never happened since...anyone else seen this? If it helps, I believe I was in the Connected plugin subsystem.

Why would I want this? I hate that I miss texts while plugged in. I don't use audio notification for messages so they go unnoticed. I understand not letting us read texts on the screen when they come in (though is that different than Twitter/Facebook posts?) but at least I would love to see the name of the person that sent a message...if I'm waiting for an important one that could be my cue to pull over and address it. Seems simple to program, and since I saw the missed call message it is obvious that its something that passes through the video out of the phone. thoughts?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
preme123
3rd Gear
I have no idea which month mine's built in. Can anyone tell me where do i look for my built date? hehe thanks you in advance

Oh! Also, after 20ish pages, i concluded that with the correct Y cable everything will work fine? or we're still waiting for the correct cradle.

However, mine comes with the cradle, since i have the harman kardon system + mini connected. There's a cradle but i don't actually have an iphone.......but i do have an ipad. But the iPad doesn't fit either. ><" So, my hope is up to the y cable. or i'll have to get myself an iphone? ><"

I'll try my ipad gen1 out with the y cable and will tell you guys again if it works.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
I forget exactly but should be on your paperwork, the sticker from your car or if you followed/tracked it should of given you some production dates.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
ALIENLOVE from Turkey stated:
This is the one I bought for euro118 including shipping. I dont have connected but have mini navigation and bluetooth it shows album art and beleive it will work on your car.

But the member from UK…noted he had the same cradle…build was the same and some of the features would not work.