1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 PM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Thanks, will look for the thread. Sounds very useful, no pun intended.
I've done a little digging, but couldn't get any hits off of "microphone" and the hits off of "bluetooth" weren't very useful...

Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLQR8sYfqQ

I dis my countryman and my wifes Clubbie. Makes a world of difference. You just need to make sure you have the torx bits(looks like six pointed sun).

Oh, and the plug that goes into the mic is VERY snug. As long as you pull the plug, not the wires directly out it'll come out. It's just difficult.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:58 PM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
I dis my countryman and my wifes Clubbie. Makes a world of difference. You just need to make sure you have the torx bits(looks like six pointed sun).
awesome. from your comment about torx, I'm guessing there's an additional step for the Countryman?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Sorry. I watched the vid again. There isn't. I just don't do well leaving things alone. The panel he pokes his fingers through comes out with two torx screws and then pressing six tabs around it. This makes moving the wire easier and you can remove the back and replace the map lights with LED lights.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it's really that easy on a countryman too? Just pop the piece off and switch the mic then pop back on.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Yep. And you can't really screw it up. Just make sure you don't yank on the wires to unplug the mic. I can't tell when my wife is holding her phone in her hand or using her car interface anymore. She says the same about my CM.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
This certainly could explain the lack of engineering attention when it comes to the Connected app.

Makes you wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The whole story is on motoringfiles.com

Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLQR8sYfqQ

Oh, and the plug that goes into the mic is VERY snug. As long as you pull the plug, not the wires directly out it'll come out. It's just difficult.
Thanks I just did this and left myself a voicemail before and after, big difference, amazing they put it on the passenger side!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Normally I don't mess with my cars but this sounds easy enough and worth while enough to do so I'm going to attempt it once our CM gets delivered next month.

I too am amazed they didn't just do this at the plant. I mean you would think they would be able to tell via the order form if the CM was bound for a "left driving" country and adjust appropriately. So easy to do.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Tried another video on my iPod and still no audio. Checked every setting I could find. I am stumped. Shouldn't is play the audio too?

Has anyone played video on their Connected and heard the audio?
Played a short video clip of my daughter and a full length movie, both had sound with the "Iphone/ipod" y cord, could not access Video with the "ipod " y cord. I have a an ipod Touch, not the newest, one generartion behind, I think

Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by snowboard1
Played a short video clip of my daughter and a full length movie, both had sound with the "Iphone/ipod" y cord, could not access Video with the "ipod " y cord. I have a an ipod Touch, not the newest, one generartion behind, I think
I think it just may be that my fairly old iPod is not supported for A/V. Fortunately, the music part plays just fine and album art does display. Carzy that the video displays but the corresponding audio track does not. Definitely seems to be a software issue as the video soundtrack will play for a moment if you plug the iPod in to Connected while a video is playing.

Am going to start playing with voice commands.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snowboard1
Thanks I just did this and left myself a voicemail before and after, big difference, amazing they put it on the passenger side!
Is it really as easy as shown in the video? I tend NOT to try things like this as history has shown I break more than I fix.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 AM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Is it really as easy as shown in the video? I tend NOT to try things like this as history has shown I break more than I fix.
It really was simple as the video shows, The Mic wire comes through a small hole at the top, there is also a larger opening to the side. On the drivers side I just pulled the wire through the larger opening, it was easier to pull it through. whole thing took about 2 minutes, no tools

Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Thanks snowboard1. I will give it a shot!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 PM
kbfk
1st Gear
Hi, I believe I know what happening. If you have not actually purchased the ipod video cable for your car you will not get both video and audio. It does not come with the countryman. Its a special order (I did buy it). If you look at the jacks on the country man what looks like the aux audio is actually an AV port not just audio. When you purchase the cable the video actually goes through that part of the cable not the usb side.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asked my MA to have the mic switched over and he told me I was nuts. We popped the cover and sure enough the mic was on the drivers side, (If you are driving in England). We switched it out right there in the showroom. It is cake to do.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kbfk
Hi, I believe I know what happening. If you have not actually purchased the ipod video cable for your car you will not get both video and audio. It does not come with the countryman. Its a special order (I did buy it). If you look at the jacks on the country man what looks like the aux audio is actually an AV port not just audio. When you purchase the cable the video actually goes through that part of the cable not the usb side.
A dual-headed cable DID come with my Countryman. One side plugs into the USB port and the other into the A/V port. I think you are misunderstanding my problem - when I play a VIDEO file (movei, TV show, etc.) from my iPod, the video DOES display on the Connected screen but the AUDIO does not play. All I get is the picture with no sound.

When I play music files from the same iPod using the same cable, the music plays just fine and album art displays.

As noted in an earlier post, if I start playing a video on the iPod BEFORE it is plugged in to Connected, as soon as I insert the cable the audio DOES briefly play (for a second or two) and then abruptly stops as soon as Connected recognizes that the iPod has been connected.

Why did you have to buy a cable for your Countryman? It is standard feature if you get any of the USB options. What is the part number on your cable?

Still confused...

Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miniblue2
I asked my MA to have the mic switched over and he told me I was nuts. We popped the cover and sure enough the mic was on the drivers side, (If you are driving in England). We switched it out right there in the showroom. It is cake to do.
Cool! What is the easiest way to pop the cover? I'm concerned that I am going to break it in some way.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Lenmonster
3rd Gear
Is there any way to send this up the chain to at least the VDC so they can handle it?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 AM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Cool! What is the easiest way to pop the cover? I'm concerned that I am going to break it in some way.
I used a letter opener to pry it, it was on my desk when I was reading and I did not want something pointy or sharp. It does not take a lot of force to get it off

Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
All I can say is thank goodness for all the knowledgeable members of this forum! I would never have known all this info if I wasn't a member here.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
kbfk
1st Gear
A dual-headed cable DID come with my Countryman. One side plugs into the USB port and the other into the A/V port. I think you are misunderstanding my problem - when I play a VIDEO file (movei, TV show, etc.) from my iPod, the video DOES display on the Connected screen but the AUDIO does not play. All I get is the picture with no sound.

When I play music files from the same iPod using the same cable, the music plays just fine and album art displays.

As noted in an earlier post, if I start playing a video on the iPod BEFORE it is plugged in to Connected, as soon as I insert the cable the audio DOES briefly play (for a second or two) and then abruptly stops as soon as Connected recognizes that the iPod has been connected.

Why did you have to buy a cable for your Countryman? It is standard feature if you get any of the USB options. What is the part number on your cable?

Still confused...

Yes I got the same cable you are referring to as well with my countryman. There actually is a different cable that looks exactly the same however the internal guts of the cable are not the same. The one that comes with the countryman does not route the video and audio correctly.
http://www.minimotoringgear.com/#/MI...?CenterId=null

If you click on this link you and click on iphone/ipod adapter cable. There is a 60$ cable and a 70$ cable that comes with video support. The 60$ cable is what comes stock with the countryman connect system. There are threads on this on some of euro mini forum sites.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 PM
sbeishline
1st Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by Lenmonster
Is there any way to send this up the chain to at least the VDC so they can handle it?
Len- Great question. I'd like to find that out, but I suspect it'd be tough to actually get it done. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Yes I got the same cable you are referring to as well with my countryman. There actually is a different cable that looks exactly the same however the internal guts of the cable are not the same. The one that comes with the countryman does not route the video and audio correctly.

If you click on this link you and click on iphone/ipod adapter cable. There is a 60$ cable and a 70$ cable that comes with video support. The 60$ cable is what comes stock with the countryman connect system. There are threads on this on some of euro mini forum sites.
Did you get 1 or 2 Y cables?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
miniobx
2nd Gear
Thumbs down

So, why should we have to spring for an extra $80 because the cable supplied with the car doesn't work properly. I'm beginning to not like Mini's business plan so much - they did the same thing with the 18" wheels and the armrest.

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony