1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Unfortunately, my conduit to Vinne Kung is via the good folks at motoringfile.com. They would not provide me with Vinnie's email for obvious reasons but offered to forward my comments to him on my behalf. (Yes, I have tried to send him email using standard email address conventions, just have no confirmation if they were received or not.) So, this was mostly a one shot deal. If a continuing dialog was desired, Vinnie would have contacted me directly.

My limited testing of the apps was on an iPad running 4.2. Could not get Pandora and Connected to operate simultaneously. Did not try different launch sequence that OrgegonMountainMan did with the same results, though we do not know which version of iOS he is running.

I remain hopeful that these issues will get worked out over time. Some may never be worked out. I'd really like the Nav guidance command issue to get resolved as a priority.
Running 4.2.1 jailbroken/untethered...maybe someone in the jailbreak app community can come up with some sweet tweaks into the Connected world?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 PM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
One more comment...Pandora shows up when activated on the iPhone in both the Connected submenu as well as the Radio submenu...can be launched from either place.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
My limited testing of the apps was on an iPad running 4.2. Could not get Pandora and Connected to operate simultaneously. Did not try different launch sequence that OrgegonMountainMan did with the same results, though we do not know which version of iOS he is running.
the last time I tried running Connected on my iPad, it looked very odd compared to how it looked on my iPhone - the buttons were all screwed up, other pages of the app didn't even exist on the iPad that existed on the iPhone... and no, I have not had the chance to plug Connected into an actual MINI yet...

was there any progress on the whole "we should get a unified Connected topic here on NAM" thread a while back?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 PM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The local MA said that one of his customers who had only gotten Connected (no Nav) hooked up her iPhone and was able to get some level of functionality of Google Maps running on her iPhone up on the MINI display.

Has anyone else been able to do this? If this is true, it would be even less reason to get the MINI nav!

And what if you wanted to use one of the iPhone nav apps - can the iPhone's screen be shown on the Connected display ? Do the driving instructions come out over the radio speakers? Do the nav instructions cause the volume of radio/CD whatever to automatically get software?

I've been following Connected discussions and haven't seen this discussed - if I've missed it, please feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MaybeMCSC
The local MA said that one of his customers who had only gotten Connected (no Nav) hooked up her iPhone and was able to get some level of functionality of Google Maps running on her iPhone up on the MINI display.

Has anyone else been able to do this? If this is true, it would be even less reason to get the MINI nav!

And what if you wanted to use one of the iPhone nav apps - can the iPhone's screen be shown on the Connected display ? Do the driving instructions come out over the radio speakers? Do the nav instructions cause the volume of radio/CD whatever to automatically get software?

I've been following Connected discussions and haven't seen this discussed - if I've missed it, please feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread.

Thanks!
No, Google Maps can not be displayed on the Connected screen. Nor can any other phone based map/nav app. No idea what your MA was talking about other than being able to use Google Search and then Send to Google to send the address to your nav, that is a feature of MINI Connected but requires nav of course. For now, if you want an integrated nav system where guidance commands are played over the speakers, the you need the MINI system. I guess it would be possible to use a nav app on your iPhone and pipe the audio in through the AUX input but that would be your only audio source.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
No, Google Maps can not be displayed on the Connected screen. Nor can any other phone based map/nav app. No idea what your MA was talking about other than being able to use Google Search and then Send to Google to send the address to your nav, that is a feature of MINI Connected but requires nav of course. For now, if you want an integrated nav system where guidance commands are played over the speakers, the you need the MINI system. I guess it would be possible to use a nav app on your iPhone and pipe the audio in through the AUX input but that would be your only audio source.
I'm pretty sure as part of Connected all iPhone audio goes out through the speakers, so a standalone GPS app would work (although it doesn't seem like the center of the car is the bast place for good GPS reception).

Video on the main screen seems unlikely without modifying something. Either a jailbreak app that figures out how to throw things up for display on the main screen, or something that routes iPhone video out to the main screen.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:27 PM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Tried to switch the microphone from the passenger side to the driver's side, but the wire length is too short to pass all the way through and wasn't able to pull any more length out of the headliner...will have to cut the wires and solder in an extension length...maybe the "voice control" will recognize commands better with the mic on the driver's side. Anyone else have wire length issues?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
spaner
3rd Gear
I seem to recall having to pull some extra out - are you sure it's not catching on a clip

Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OregonMountainMan
Tried to switch the microphone from the passenger side to the driver's side, but the wire length is too short to pass all the way through and wasn't able to pull any more length out of the headliner...will have to cut the wires and solder in an extension length...maybe the "voice control" will recognize commands better with the mic on the driver's side. Anyone else have wire length issues?
Don't cut, Don't cut!! If you are short on wire.....After you take the first cover off....THe main panel that is left can be removed very easily. It is two screws and six tabs around the outside rim. After you pull this off there will be two wire harnesses holding it in place. If you want to disconnect feel free if not, leave it in. The wire for the mic can then be pulled over to the other side completely and you will be good to go. If not......it is bundled with these other harnesses, and if needed you can remove some of the bundling material to give yourself some more play. Good luck!

On a side note.... this is also how you access the map lights if you wanted to change them out to LEDS. Just remove the four screws on the back of the switch panel and take the twist lock sockets out and replace all.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 AM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
I came through the large opening on the side instead of the one from the top. It was easier and required less length

Last edited by snowboard1; 01-31-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 AM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
Don't cut, Don't cut!! If you are short on wire.....After you take the first cover off....THe main panel that is left can be removed very easily. It is two screws and six tabs around the outside rim. After you pull this off there will be two wire harnesses holding it in place. If you want to disconnect feel free if not, leave it in. The wire for the mic can then be pulled over to the other side completely and you will be good to go. If not......it is bundled with these other harnesses, and if needed you can remove some of the bundling material to give yourself some more play. Good luck!

On a side note.... this is also how you access the map lights if you wanted to change them out to LEDS. Just remove the four screws on the back of the switch panel and take the twist lock sockets out and replace all.
Thanks for the tip...I will remove the panel and find some more play...

Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 AM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Haven't read this part of the instruction manual...so it may state, but noticed that the USB portion of the iPhone connection that charges only turns "hot" when the car notices the key fob for the comfort access. So much for leaving my phone in the car to charge while I am in running errands. Wonder if the cell phone prep in the arm rest is a direct battery lead and not ignition switched? I have an iPhone 4, so waiting for the snap in adapter to come out (hopefully soon).

Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kgelner
I'm pretty sure as part of Connected all iPhone audio goes out through the speakers, so a standalone GPS app would work (although it doesn't seem like the center of the car is the bast place for good GPS reception).

Video on the main screen seems unlikely without modifying something. Either a jailbreak app that figures out how to throw things up for display on the main screen, or something that routes iPhone video out to the main screen.
That is not accurate. Only the audio for Connected-enabled apps will pass through. That means just the Connected app itself and it's inherent features and Pandora, at this time.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snowboard1
I same through the large opening on the side instead of the one from the top. It was easier and required less length
Can you explain further?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 AM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
That is not accurate. Only the audio for Connected-enabled apps will pass through. That means just the Connected app itself and it's inherent features and Pandora, at this time.
I have a jailbroken iPhone and had Netlix streaming from my iPhone yesterday on the CM screen with Resupported/TV Out app

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
I have a jailbroken iPhone and had Netlix streaming from my iPhone yesterday on the CM screen with Resupported/TV Out app
Well that is cool! I guess I stand corrected for jailbroken devices. I don't jailbreak (not that there is anything wrong with that) and should have bracketed my comments to standard devices.

Do you find that video and audio are in sync?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 AM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Well that is cool! I guess I stand corrected for jailbroken devices. I don't jailbreak (not that there is anything wrong with that) and should have bracketed my comments to standard devices.

Do you find that video and audio are in sync?
Even with Netlix (and videos from iPod) Video and audio are out of sync...so, too annoying to watch a video until they get this fixed with a software update.

Just tried using a jailbreak app call "backgrounder" that allows for apps to be run in the background on the iPhone (with true multi-tasking) to see if Pandora and Connected would both be present on Connected. Unfortunately, still only one at a time. Wonder if Pandora will allow BMW/Mini to put Pandora into the actual Connected App so that they can be toggled like facebook or twitter. Time will tell.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Thanks OrgeonMountainMan (OMM is easier to type). Surprised they didn't correct the video/audio sync issue before launch but my guess is that it is a seldom used feature since video only works with parking brake engaged. (There was a WhiteRoofRadio episode that said if you pull the brake up one click, the video will still work while you drive and the brake is not actually engaged. I have not tried this yet.)

Yes, I thought that Pandora would be integrated in to the Connected app rather than work standalone. There are positives and negatives doing it this way. As you say, time will tell how they go about this down the road.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-31-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried that trick. It doesn't work anymore. Tells you that your parking brake is engaged too.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Can you explain further?
fatal typo there

The Mic wire comes through a small opening parallel to the roof surface. There is a much larger opening on the side just below the original mic opening which is on either side. I used the large side opening in placing the mic on the driver's side. it is easier to get it through without taking apart and requires less length

Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by snowboard1
fatal typo there

The Mic wire comes through a small opening parallel to the roof surface. There is a much larger opening on the side just below the original mic opening which is on either side. I used the large side opening in placing the mic on the driver's side. it is easier to get it through without taking apart and requires less length
Mine wasn't even long enough to fit through the larger opening and out the other side. I did take the assembly out of the headliner, unwound the mic wire after removing a few strands of tape and then was able to get the length I needed to reach the driver's side. I would imagine that they will all be different lengths...so good to have documented here that some may have to remove the two screws in the unit to gain access inside. the voice control works much better with the mic on the driver's side.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks OrgeonMountainMan (OMM is easier to type). Surprised they didn't correct the video/audio sync issue before launch but my guess is that it is a seldom used feature since video only works with parking brake engaged. (There was a WhiteRoofRadio episode that said if you pull the brake up one click, the video will still work while you drive and the brake is not actually engaged. I have not tried this yet.)

Yes, I thought that Pandora would be integrated in to the Connected app rather than work standalone. There are positives and negatives doing it this way. As you say, time will tell how they go about this down the road.
You know.... im a little bit skeptic about it.... I saw the manual from 2009 and it was still having sync problems with videos from ipods :(
I think it's because of the Y-cable, maybe passing the video on the jack doesn't allow a high bitrate....

One last try: did u try to convert your movies in a iPhone format?? It should shrink the size and make it more compatible with iphone... Maybe it can work better??

Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
less2
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't mean to make this a Jailbreak thread, there are plenty out there. But OMM What tool did you use to Jailbreak 4.2.1 untethered and does Mini Connected play nice with the Jailbreak?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM
OregonMountainMan
2nd Gear
Anyone heard an update on the release of the iPhone 4 snap in cradle for Connected? I found a BMW part number for the one with the Audio/Video capabilities: 84 21 2 199 392 but no source to buy one yet.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Anyone heard an update on the release of the iPhone 4 snap in cradle for Connected? I found a BMW part number for the one with the Audio/Video capabilities: 84 21 2 199 392 but no source to buy one yet.
www.getbmwparts.com
MSRP $225
Tischer's Price $180.00

Have a wonderful Air Force day.

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony