2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cram It In The Boot!

Interesting marketing message. "have you ever crammed it in the boot?"

Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
I had sex once in a 1972 Chevrolet Vega Station Wagon that Car & Driver magazine said didn't have room for 2 consenting adults. Does that count?

Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey that was a weird commercial. The one with the peeing little kid would have been better in my opinion.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
old81
M6
Odd at best, game show? Not sure of the message or who they intended as the audience.

Although, it did catch your attention. I had to rewind the DVR to watch it again.

Quirky, typical MINI....

Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM
MINI Kapone
2nd Gear
Two minutes after that commercial aired, a chick I used to date posted on my facebook "So have you crammed it in the boot?"

Comedy, pure comedy.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't see the commercial in question, but from the header I was sure this was referencing a conversation between two English poofters. Now I have to go Google the advert.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Sad that Mini will spend the money for a very poor Super Bowl commerical.
I don't know who would have approved that.
It certainly didn't sell a Mini to me.
They could have used it to address 1st Gen. power steering issues.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
yawn

Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattmed03
Interesting marketing message. "have you ever crammed it in the boot?"

Come on now, if you own a Mini even a Clubman you are always cramming it in the boot

Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
The Countryman ad was rather goofy IMO. However, somehow Chrysler came up with a very cool vibe for a rebadge Sebring --amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SKL254Y_jtc

MINI - 25
Chrysler - 31

Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I'm embarrassed for MINI/BMW. They completey dropped the ball on this one. It was as bad or worse than the guys sucking someone else's finger for chip/cheese residue and later sniffing someone's pants. Other than being completely tasteless, it didn't promote the 4-door and AWD capability. I'm not saying it will happen but I really don't want my car and major hobby to be associated with that ridiculous line.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttuhzbmcs
I'm embarrassed for MINI/BMW. They completey dropped the ball on this one. It was as bad or worse than the guys sucking someone else's finger for chip/cheese residue and later sniffing someone's pants. Other than being completely tasteless, it didn't promote the 4-door and AWD capability. I'm not saying it will happen but I really don't want my car and major hobby to be associated with that ridiculous line.
I don't think it was nearly as bad as the Residue commercial, since the innuendo part of the commercial was momentary once the literal stuffing began.

But I totally agree it was a missed chance to talk about the AWD. I was kind of thinking they should have done a rally oriented commercial but on the other hand for a lot of people space is a pretty big factor so I'm think as odd as the add was, it still might have helped convince some people to take a look...

Also interesting they chose to highlight Pure Red. I really want to see that color in person now.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2420279...n/photostream/

It is really nice in person. I took the image above at MINI Takes the States last year.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttuhzbmcs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2420279...n/photostream/

It is really nice in person. I took the image above at MINI Takes the States last year.
It's funny, I was at MTTS (the final day and also up in Winter Park), I even took pictures of the red myself... but I just can't remember exactly what it was like. I saw much more of the Light Coffee one...

Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
OK, now I've seen it. Totally lame and not all that well done. More bad press for Pure Orange.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:35 AM
rr191
1st Gear
From the commercial, it sure looks like the seats fold flat.

-- Rob

Last edited by rr191; 02-07-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Here's a link to the ad for anyone who hasn't seen it. I didn't hate the ad, but MINI should be able to do much better IMHO.

http://www.hulu.com/adzone2011?wfw#50120617

Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Bullydog
2nd Gear
on the miniusa website...lol

Attached Thumbnails Cram It In The Boot!-cramming-boot.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCSfanboy
The Countryman ad was rather goofy IMO. However, somehow Chrysler came up with a very cool vibe for a rebadge Sebring --amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SKL254Y_jtc

MINI - 25
Chrysler - 31
Completely agree.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Bullydog
2nd Gear
Wink

Originally Posted by rr191
From the commercial, it sure looks like the seats fold flat.

-- Rob

Of course it was perfectly flat "for the commercial". Kinda' how the burger looks as good as it did in the commercial. Wink.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bullydog
Of course it was perfectly flat "for the commercial". Kinda' how the burger looks as good as it did in the commercial. Wink.
You'll also note that it uses the standard multi-position well cover and the optional flat load floor. That would be the $250 dollar option that seems to be eluding us on the order form.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
The Commercial was just plain ""STUPID""

They did nothing at all to appeal to anyone to go to a dealer and check out the Countryman at all. That car could have been any car.

They had the opportunity to tell America about the All Wheel Drive, The Rear Passenger seat room, Rear windows go down, The Fuel Economy, The countless options, The Fun Factor of owning and driving a Mini. (ETC.)

They did nothing of the sort. It was a waste of three million dollars and the idiot that approved that stupid farce of a commercial should be fired. It was Awful.

And I really like the ""COUNTRYMAN"" myself and may purchase one when they come out with a WRC or JCW model that I like as much as I do my 2009 Factory JCW.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
They did nothing at all to appeal to anyone to go to a dealer and check out the Countryman at all. That car could have been any car.

They had the opportunity to tell America about the All Wheel Drive, The Rear Passenger seat room, Rear windows go down, The Fuel Economy, The countless options, The Fun Factor of owning and driving a Mini. (ETC.)

They did nothing of the sort. It was a waste of three million dollars and the idiot that approved that stupid farce of a commercial should be fired. It was Awful.

And I really like the ""COUNTRYMAN"" myself and may purchase one when they come out with a WRC or JCW model that I like as much as I do my 2009 Factory JCW.
What?!

They didn't talk about the quality of the leather, weave of the carpet, or the wattage of the stereo, either.

But that's not what they were trying to do.

All wheel drive may be important to you, but it just wasn't the focus of this particular ad.

MINI/BMW tried to highlight that despite the fact that it's a MINI, it' still big enough to carry what you may want to carry, which it did in a fun, MINI-like way.

Maybe the next commercial will focus on what's important to you, or the reason YOU might buy a Countryman, but this particular commercial wasn't it.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rsbell

But that's not what they were trying to do.

All wheel drive may be important to you, but it just wasn't the focus of this particular ad.

MINI/BMW tried to highlight that despite the fact that it's a MINI, it' still big enough to carry what you may want to carry, which it did in a fun, MINI-like way.

Maybe the next commercial will focus on what's important to you, or the reason YOU might buy a Countryman, but this particular commercial wasn't it.
I think the question is, of all the selling points MINI could have selected to highlight during an event which will garner more eyeballs at one time than any other, why pick the size of the boot as the one to spend the money on?

Seems like the thought process would have been - "We're going to drop a buttload of money on this one ad. What is the most important selling point we should highlight?" And someone's answer was cramming the boot? Really?

In addition to that, where MINIs commercials in the past that involved double entendres were witty, this one just struck me as juvenile. I pin that more on the ad agency than MINI though.

Maybe someone can come up with some window stickers or badges "Cram My Boot!" for the Countryman owners.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Scott & Sara

Watch that stupid commercial and they cold have used any car at all. I think they wasted three million dollars.

If they wanted to be funny they should have used the video of the 26 people or more crammed into the Mini Countryman for the Guinness world record.

Any way you look at it that was an awful commercial.

Look at this U-Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RulI73Vq2LQ

They did this in a Mini Hatchback, Just think how many they coud fit into a Countryman. It sure would have been better at showing fun with a countryman then that guy just yelling and screaming.

That was a stinko stupid say nothing waste of three million dollars.

Last edited by ronnie948; 02-07-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: add stuff

Quick Reply: R60 Cram It In The Boot!