1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 anthracite headliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anthracite headliner

Has anyone opted for the anthracite headliner? I am wondering how it will look with the gravity carbon black leather for an all black interior. Also, is there a big difference in comfort between the black leather seats and lounge leather seats? Thx.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 AM
docfink
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the anthracite headliner. It's a very dark gray (I think) so it should go well with your choice of leather.

As for seat comfort, you'll have to compare for yourself. My lounge leather seats look great and are fine for short trips, but they lack thigh and lateral support, probably like all CW seats.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 AM
Cosmic Blue Conspiracy
2nd Gear
The anthracite is dark. Some people say it's claustrophobic, but it's just dark. It's a dark gray, bordering on black, and pretty much matches the carbon black interior. I think the beige would have looked weird against the dark rest of the car, but it certainly would have brightened things up. I don't consider it oppressive of dark, honestly. My only complaint is that the headliner color should simply match whatever interior you are getting and shouldn't cost more.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 AM
RS11
2nd Gear
I have the carbon black lounge leather and the light colored headliner. With the black lounge leather there is beige piping around the seats. This matches perfectly with the polar beige color line and the light color headliner. I love the interior color. (I'm attaching a photo -- not of my car but the same interior.)

I think the lounge leather is just as comfortable as the seats in my 05 MCS (the only thing I can really compare it to). I drove 4 hrs on Sunday and found the seats -- and the entire car -- very comfortable.

Attached Thumbnails anthracite headliner-7.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Cosmic Blue Conspiracy
2nd Gear
This is an awesome combo. Beautiful.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 AM
eeyore
3rd Gear
Here's the anthracite headliner with coffee lounge leather.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:19 AM
craigea
1st Gear
I've been thinking that it would look odd to have dark seats/interior and a lighter headliner, but then I realized for the past 12 years I've been driving a car with just that and I never really noticed don't know if that says more about me or the interior/exterior, but you know... I think I'll opt for the anthracite headliner because I like the idea of having the all black/dark interior

Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 AM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if I'm seeing a consensus here, but I'd highly recommend the black lounge leather (despite the $2k price) and the anthracite headliner together - because it's such a better match. I have both and love the continuity of the color. When I picked my MCS up at the dealer they had another MCS that had the beige headliner with the black lounge leather and I thought it looked mis-matched.

Here's a pic of my very comfortable seats, sorry, no pics of the headliner...

Last edited by tvanhouten; 03-09-2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eeyore
Here's the anthracite headliner with coffee lounge leather.
That coffee lounge look drives me uppa da wall. MINI has way too many restrictions on what can be combined with it. To keep on track - I'll be going with Black Lounge / Light Headliner / Black panels / Polar Color Line. Or at least that's final for this week.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Teleigh
1st Gear
Wow! Great pictures! I love the coffee lounge leather, and I love the anthracite headliner. That said, I live in an area surrounded by trees, I love to drive and live under the tree canopies. I'll never forget a friend from Chicago visiting and thinking that it felt claustrophobic driving underneath them. It had never really occurred to me that someone could feel that way. They loved being out in the open under the great big blue sky. I like to feel cozy, and to be in cozy spaces. People are interesting. We're all so different. Ultimately tho, I haven't seen a combo on the countryman yet that I haven't liked.

And whoever said that there were a lot of restrictions with the coffee lounge leather was right! When selected it grayed out a ton of options.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM
kgelner
4th Gear
I chose an all black interior with the polar beige headliner. What I also chose was the polar beige color line, which makes the center of the rail and also the round center of the door polar beige. That (I think) will help blend the white world above with the dark world below, with the doors tying it all together.

Either way would look good though, it's just a preference for a more closed in or open feeling in the car.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
itsmeagain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
That coffee lounge look drives me uppa da wall. MINI has way too many restrictions on what can be combined with it. To keep on track - I'll be going with Black Lounge / Light Headliner / Black panels / Polar Color Line. Or at least that's final for this week.
So I’m not the only one! I like the color of the Coffee Lounge Leather, but you can only get Carbon Black doors and colorline. I think it would look good with dark Tobacco doors, sort of matches the seat color and Polar Beige colorline to go with the piping color. If you order Carbon Black Gravity Leather (but not Black Lounge Leather) or Light Tobacco Parallel Lines Cloth you can get Tobacco doors and Polar Beige colorline. So they do match Tobacco and Polar Beige. Also find it odd that you can get Coffee Lounge Leather with certain exterior like Cosmic Blue, a color I really don’t see it complimenting, but not with colors like Oxford Green, Pure Red or Bright Yellow, all colors I think it would work with. I also notice you can get Pure Red colorline on the base Countryman but not Surf Blue colorline

Another observation about Lounge Leather seats. Has anyone else notice there are two different styles on the Lounge Leather seats? One has the pleats on the seat bottom, the large part and the front seat bolster is smooth leather. The other is the opposite. Look at the photos to see the difference.

Attached Thumbnails anthracite headliner-style-1-lounge-leather.jpg   anthracite headliner-style-2-lounge-leather.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 PM
asindc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by itsmeagain
So I’m not the only one! I like the color of the Coffee Lounge Leather, but you can only get Carbon Black doors and colorline. I think it would look good with dark Tobacco doors, sort of matches the seat color and Polar Beige colorline to go with the piping color. If you order Carbon Black Gravity Leather (but not Black Lounge Leather) or Light Tobacco Parallel Lines Cloth you can get Tobacco doors and Polar Beige colorline. So they do match Tobacco and Polar Beige. Also find it odd that you can get Coffee Lounge Leather with certain exterior like Cosmic Blue, a color I really don’t see it complimenting, but not with colors like Oxford Green, Pure Red or Bright Yellow, all colors I think it would work with. I also notice you can get Pure Red colorline on the base Countryman but not Surf Blue colorline

Another observation about Lounge Leather seats. Has anyone else notice there are two different styles on the Lounge Leather seats? One has the pleats on the seat bottom, the large part and the front seat bolster is smooth leather. The other is the opposite. Look at the photos to see the difference.
+2. It is the reason I chose Polar Beige seats over the Coffee seats. I like the Coffee seats better, but I don't like the restrictions on options with them. I told my MA about this and told him that BMW/MINI cost themselves $500 in my case by being so restrictive. FWIW, each of the four MAs I dealt with at four different Mini dealerships agreed with me about there not being enough options in general with regard to colors and combinations for the CM.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
The anthracite headliner was the #1 option (yes more than Xenons, and Nav.) I regretted not getting on my MCS, as soon as I saw it in person, it just looks so much better on the car, I made sure to get it on my CMS.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
It looks softer than the gravity carbon. Wonder if it means it will be stickier in the summer.

Originally Posted by tvanhouten
Not sure if I'm seeing a consensus here, but I'd highly recommend the black lounge leather (despite the $2k price) and the anthracite headliner together - because it's such a better match. I have both and love the continuity of the color. When I picked my MCS up at the dealer they had another MCS that had the beige headliner with the black lounge leather and I thought it looked mis-matched.

Here's a pic of my very comfortable seats, sorry, no pics of the headliner...

Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
Wonder if it means it will be stickier in the summer.
What do you have in mind?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 AM
eeyore
3rd Gear
The main reason I didn't get the black lounge leather is because it was too similar to what I had in my previous MCS. I thought the polar beige would be too much of a contrast, and went with the light coffee, as it was in between.

I like the way the anthracite headliner looks with it, and light coming in from the sunroof prevents it from having what I thought could be a cave-like appearance.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
You know, I have this bad biking habit and get seriously sweaty. Worse, it's gets to 100 degrees and 100% humidity here in the summer, living in the swampland

What do you have in mind?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes

You know, I have this bad biking habit and get seriously sweaty.

Too much information

Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hobie44610

Too much information
Y'all hush up. I got this leather, sweat, and heat fantasy going on.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
We have black lounge leather seats, carbon black interior, polar beige color line and anthracite headliner. Very thankful that we were advised on the headliner as we would not have liked polar beige pillars. The anthracite matches the interior and feels in no way claustrophobic. Bummer it costs $250 but worth it.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 PM
silvernuke
3rd Gear
agree. Anthracite headliner is a must in my list. I just don't get how MINI can charge for such item, even though many of us are suckers for it. Seriously, it should not be an extra option that costs money. I can't imagine it being costing more for MINI!!! Total RIP OFF! but once again, do want.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Bummer it costs $250 but worth it.
My favorite is the "cockpit trim" strip of plastic across the dash. Also a $250 option.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM
FatBob
2nd Gear
Yeah, that trim should be standard. The dash looks so much better with it so we ordered it but it pained me to spend $250 for a $2 piece of plastic.

Quick Reply: R60 anthracite headliner