1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Locking with the fob

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locking with the fob

Here's an odd item for my fellow Countryman owners.

You exit your vehicle, and walk away. You lock it via the "Lock" button on the fob. The car beeps and flashes.

If you attempt to lock the car again by pressing the "Lock" button, because you've walked away and have forgotten if you've locked it, nothing happens. But does nothing happen because you're perhaps too far away or because the fob is broken? The only way to know is to press "Unlock" and the car will beep, and then you can lock it again to be sure!

In my 2008 R32, the car responded the same way to a "Lock" command from the fob whether it was locked or not. So after pressing the "Lock" command, you knew it was locked! It would chirp.

Wish my CM responded the same way. Not a biggy, but an irritation, nonetheless.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Sir Stirling
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree completely. Every car I have owned has re-confirmed on multiple 'lock' commands from the remote. It isn't a major complaint, but I agree it lacks both utility and common sense with this 'feature' disabled.

I wonder if it could be fixed with a software flash... I mean, the hardware is there...

Then again, I guess that in a way, we're lucky that these are the sorts of trouble we're experiencing with a brand-new model.

Cheers,
Tad

Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
Interesting...I'm glad you mentioned this. My cars have always relocked also.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have both MINI and BMW and they all respond (or don't respond) the same way... The interior light turns on when you try to re-lock the car, so if it's dark outside you can get a confirmation that way....

Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you hit lock after it is locked it will "wake the car up" and turn on the interior lights etc. No need to press the lock button multiple times, you heard the door locks clunk and see the lights.

I absolutely hate it when people press the lock button repeatedly to hear their car make noises. My grandmother loves to hear the horn honk on her truck when she hits the lock button the second time. Maybe she thinks it gives the perception of a secure car to nearby thieves, lol.

Last edited by yetti96; 06-16-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-16-2011, 07:03 AM
TPBC
1st Gear
I'm sure this was answered in another thread. But, I want to make sure I didn't miss a setting. Can we have the confirmation "beep" with out the factory alarm installed?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TPBC
I'm sure this was answered in another thread. But, I want to make sure I didn't miss a setting. Can we have the confirmation "beep" with out the factory alarm installed?
No.

While we're kind of on the lock/unlock subject - - - My BMW (2008, 3 series) had comfort access. With it, all I had to do was touch the door handle or hatch. I find it a little odd that they would go to a less techy "push the black button" as opposed to just touch. If'n I wanted to push a button, I could just use the remote.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mjgood
I have both MINI and BMW and they all respond (or don't respond) the same way... The interior light turns on when you try to re-lock the car, so if it's dark outside you can get a confirmation that way....
Did you have to change any settings to get the interior lights to come on when you attempt to relock the car? I haven't noticed that with mine.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
CFRM
2nd Gear
If you have the factory alarm, when you hit the lock button 2 times on the fob it disables the interior sensors along with the tilt sensor.

Cheers.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I noticed this right away too -- suppose that makes it a "smarter" system that doesn't attempt to re-lock what it knows is already locked... But it would be nice to see some sort of response...

I'd also like to see the car lock itself if you walk away from the car without thumbing the fob, but I suppose that might only be a feature included with an alarm system.

But wait, your Countryman beeps? Mine doesn't. Do you have the factory alarm?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
If you lock the car, then unlock it, the car will automatically lock itself after 2 minutes as long as a door hasn't been opened... If you have an alarm system it will lock without arming.... this works on BMW's as well....

Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CFRM
If you have the factory alarm, when you hit the lock button 2 times on the fob it disables the interior sensors along with the tilt sensor.

Cheers.
So does that basically turn the alarm off?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Karrock
I noticed this right away too -- suppose that makes it a "smarter" system that doesn't attempt to re-lock what it knows is already locked... But it would be nice to see some sort of response...

I'd also like to see the car lock itself if you walk away from the car without thumbing the fob, but I suppose that might only be a feature included with an alarm system.

But wait, your Countryman beeps? Mine doesn't. Do you have the factory alarm?
I do have the factory alarm.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
critterz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mjgood
If you lock the car, then unlock it, the car will automatically lock itself after 2 minutes as long as a door hasn't been opened... If you have an alarm system it will lock without arming.... this works on BMW's as well....
i think you might have to program that into the user preferences, or mabye you can vary the time until it locks, but i know it comes up when you program the personal settings into the fob