1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 PM
creep
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Satellite radio

I haven't called to activate my satellite radio. I went to see what it would do if I went to the satellite radio and I was able to receive several stations.

Are there free stations on satellite even if you don't activate? There were several stations that said "activation" required which I could not receive, but I was able to listen to several stations like CNN, Doctor Radio, Comedy, etc.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a temporary tryout, it'll cancel itself soon.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
MSPRO
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were told that we would have a year of free satellite radio, but after having the car for just under 2 weeks it is now telling me to subscribe. It was fully activated up until yesterday then it just stopped working and the dealership doesn't know why, neither does Sirius/XM.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sirius customer service takes a lot of patience. It's almost like everyone else outsourced to India and they outsourced to Uranus. Call them back many, many times and explain what happened, patiently, over and over. Eventually you'll get a person that will actually look at your account and understand what happened. It's a major PIA, but worth it in the long run.

Good luck -

Sealy - Who still gets calls asking if I want to rectivate cars I haven't had in years.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
CM51
2nd Gear
Just found out Hawaii doesn't get any sat radio at all. I was disappointed I don't get to take advantage of a feature that now comes standard, but really I've never needed it and might be more of a PIA than necessary.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Kay Gee
2nd Gear
whenever you call SIRIUS, and get someone who doesnt' have an 'american' voice.. just ask for a representative in the US. they have to give you someone in the US when you request it, specifically.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CM51
Just found out Hawaii doesn't get any sat radio at all.
Yea, but you can go to the airport and get lei'd.

Sealy - Who thinks that's a reasonable trade off.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Kay Gee
2nd Gear
i rarely feel sorry for ANYONE who lives full time in Hawai'i....

Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM
rpetrecca
1st Gear
With all the other options (Web Radio and Pandora) I don't really think I'll actually activate my Satellite radio.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM
mrk5n
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rpetrecca
With all the other options (Web Radio and Pandora) I don't really think I'll actually activate my Satellite radio.
My MA activated my satellite radio on delivery day and I enjoy it. Once you program a few stations its another option you have.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I think the Sat radio is great. I have all presets set to Sat stations that I listen to frequently. It's a great thing in my opinion. And a year free that's not bad. I hear it's like the cable company. When your year is up just call em and say you need a better deal or your bailing. Inevitably you will get a much better deal.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 AM
is_it_the_shoes
1st Gear
Certainly enjoying the additional station options on top of radio/cd/ipod-usb-android.

But I must say, IMO, compared to all those other things, the SAT Audio quality is suprisingly low-res. I can especially hear it in the Grateful Dead station, which of all stations to have poor quality is sad. I know they are live shows (grateful dead), but still, you can hear the digital garbage. I thought it was the SAT feed in general that was garbage, until I tuned into stations like Howard Stern, lol...I know he uses top sound gear and mics, and you can tell. I can usually get better sound out of my ipod playing mp3s than I can from a lot of the SAT stations....

Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
selder
2nd Gear
Sirius/XM is compressed even more than your ipod, I think, so the sound is even worse. You're probably just hearing differenced in the quality of programming Stern vs GD...I've never noticed one channel itself better than another.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM
lhigham2317
2nd Gear
Activating or resending Sirius radio

If your MA did not activate your Sirius radio at delivery you can do online and avoid the long waits holding for Sirius customer service.

care.sirius.xm.com/activate - for new activations

care.siriusxm.com/refresh - to resend a signal

You must have your ESN number. To locate your ESN# turn on Satellite radio - go to preview station 184. Look on the captions on the radio display and press the soft key below SAT and hold for 2 seconds then twist the right radio **** to display the ESN# (these directions are for vehicles without navigation system)

Your vehicle must be outside tuned to preview station 184 to receive the signal. Allow 5 minutes or so for activation. Radio display will show "Updating Subscription".

Hope this helps!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
I activated my satellite radio yesterday. It seems very confusing to navigate. Maybe it's just because I haven't set any pre set buttons, but I'm always being bounced back to the ad station for it even though I already have it.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Drockfresh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by beauxgoris
I activated my satellite radio yesterday. It seems very confusing to navigate. Maybe it's just because I haven't set any pre set buttons, but I'm always being bounced back to the ad station for it even though I already have it.
The Satellite radio implementation is horrible. The UI is TERRIBLE. It's really really bad. It should show the title of the song playing after you choose a channel through the presents (like every other satellite radio). The software is waaaaaay overdue for an update. We have been waiting. Cmon' Mini

Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 PM
ozarkgolfer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CM51
Just found out Hawaii doesn't get any sat radio at all. I was disappointed I don't get to take advantage of a feature that now comes standard, but really I've never needed it and might be more of a PIA than necessary.
Sirius wiki page says: ..... Sirius is applying for repeaters in Hawaii and Alaska and has already been granted authority for 20 repeaters covering the island of Puerto Rico by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
my sat radio cycles through station/artist/song title, just like fm hd stations do

or i can hit the info soft key and turn the right **** to display 2 of those 3 full time

i thought it was confusing til i sat with the OM and played with the buttons for a while

scott

Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by beauxgoris
Just keep playing with it--and dig out the card (probably in your glove compartment) with the station groupings. I was convinced I was just going to pretty much do without, until I fugured out how to navigate it on the "dial". Don't worry---It will make sense in no time. Tough to do this driving though.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
Is this for the Sat screen or for presets? I've never understood why they didnt include the station info bar with presets. I think I tried switching it and it still only showed the station info in presets. If you have to hit the info key to the right kinda pointless but it is what it is.

**Update** in presets mode go to info to display artist. Using the stearing wheel controls you can toggle the presets while keeping the info in display.

Last edited by dharvey1221; 04-15-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
HvilleRockCity
Neutral
When I picked up my CM, I was told to activate the 1 year free subscription. However, I was told to give XM a fake telephone number because they will constantly bug you after your first year is up!

On the bright side, if you do this, you should receive great offers to your e-mail. My sales guy said he just received an on a 1 year contract for $40.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM
atlchica
2nd Gear
My 1 year trial just ended a few weeks ago, and I can confirm, they *do* constantly bug you. I didn't bother renewing - I liked it when I had it, but 2 weeks without it and I don't miss it. I'm listening to more of my music, to Pandora (Mini Connected), and mostly to local NPR.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Augsburg57
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HvilleRockCity
When I picked up my CM, I was told to activate the 1 year free subscription. However, I was told to give XM a fake telephone number because they will constantly bug you after your first year is up!

On the bright side, if you do this, you should receive great offers to your e-mail. My sales guy said he just received an on a 1 year contract for $40.
Careful with the phone number you give Sirius. We had several disconnects from the system (both during the "free" trial and the subscription). We'd call Sirius all frustrated to have them resend the activation signal again, and they'd want the phone number tied to the account to prove who we were. Like some impostor would ever call for this! Anyway, we'd give our phone number and they would say no, wrong number. Finally figured out the dealer gave one of our work numbers when they activated.

We took our Countryman into the dealer last week for the 12 month service. We mentioned that the Sirius connection would be lost frequently and that our bluetooth paring would drop and we'd have to repair frequently. They said there was a service bulletin out on it and they are replacing the radio under warranty. So far the simple one year service has had the Countryman in the shop for almost a week.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
BradfromOntario
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Augsburg57
Careful with the phone number you give Sirius. We had several disconnects from the system (both during the "free" trial and the subscription). We'd call Sirius all frustrated to have them resend the activation signal again, and they'd want the phone number tied to the account to prove who we were. Like some impostor would ever call for this! Anyway, we'd give our phone number and they would say no, wrong number. Finally figured out the dealer gave one of our work numbers when they activated.

We took our Countryman into the dealer last week for the 12 month service. We mentioned that the Sirius connection would be lost frequently and that our bluetooth paring would drop and we'd have to repair frequently. They said there was a service bulletin out on it and they are replacing the radio under warranty. So far the simple one year service has had the Countryman in the shop for almost a week.
Any chance you can post a copy of the TSB? We haven't had many issues with SIRIUS, but we lose the Bluetooth connection monthly.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Augsburg57
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BradfromOntario
Any chance you can post a copy of the TSB? We haven't had many issues with SIRIUS, but we lose the Bluetooth connection monthly.
Sorry, that's all we know. Will let you know if something about the TSB is printed on our receipt when we pick up the car. Right now, the dealer still has it, citing difficulties in reprogramming after the radio replacement . . . .

Quick Reply: R60 Satellite radio