1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Removing dash trim?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Removing dash trim?

I would like to remove the dash trim and wrap it in vinyl. I searched, but was unable to find directions. Does anyone have any directions or tips? I don't want to start snapping off plastic pins!

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i tried to remove the trim ring around the side vent the other day. it would not budge. so i tried to remove the whole vent, no luck there either. i did get a few clips loose on the center speedo surround but gave up because i was afraid i would crack the plastic due to the pressure i was applying. i guess they are wrapping the vinyl with the vents on? i just ended up masking off one of my vents to paint gunmetal to match the other trim in the car. it worked ok, but would be better if i could take them off.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks countryman-s!

I was thinking more of the strip that runs between the dash and the glove box. Ours is piano black, but I know that is one of the things you can customize, so they must come off!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't remove the side vent trim unless you remove the trim cover on the side and the piece below, and the A-pillar trim first. There are 4 torx screws holding that piece on. I got the side pieces removed easily but I can't figure out how to remove the A-pillar trim that contains the airbag (see my recent post).

The center speedo trim pops right off, but you have to watch the wires that go to the hazard button. You'll need to pop it off and then disconnect the wire from the switch. Start pulling at the bottom and work your way to the top. Then getting the switch off you need to squeeze both metal spring clips at the same time and push it out from the bottom.

Mini ears anyone?

Originally Posted by countryman-s
i tried to remove the trim ring around the side vent the other day. it would not budge. so i tried to remove the whole vent, no luck there either. i did get a few clips loose on the center speedo surround but gave up because i was afraid i would crack the plastic due to the pressure i was applying. i guess they are wrapping the vinyl with the vents on? i just ended up masking off one of my vents to paint gunmetal to match the other trim in the car. it worked ok, but would be better if i could take them off.

Last edited by sirbikes; 01-01-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:24 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
thanks sirbikes, yea i removed the side and the torx and realized that the a pillar trim had a bolt behind it. im afraid to try to remove it due to the airbag. i will try the center speedo again. as far as the accent trim pieces i have not tried anything.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
the black piano trim peices are not even available to buy if you bust them!

you have to buy the whole dash! look at realOEM.com and look for yourself! those parts are installed on the dash and each command their own part number so be carfull if you bust them it will be the biggest and most exspensive opps you probably ever do !

just a word of caution!

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...28&hg=51&fg=30

Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
That's a good site, thanks for sharing. I would have thought they were separable pieces, but what I've noticed is that Mini tends to bond different pieces together, like the chrome with the trim and the bumper covers (black and body color), etc.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Thanks to Jeremy Brooks responding to my other post I was able to get the A-pillar trim off. It turned out to be quite simple. Just remove the T25 torx bolt under the round cap Airbag cap. You can pop this cap off by starting from the top of it.

Then pull the trim piece upward and it will come right out. Here it is with the piece removed.

The right side is more difficult than the left because you have to remove several (4 I think) T20 torx screws and 1 T25 torx bolt of the glove compartment. Then you can get to the vent trim screw underneath, which I had already removed when I took the photo (center of pic).

Side screw locations after popping off the side cover and lower right pieces. I already removed the top screw.

Removing the vent trim.

Vent trim off.

Last edited by sirbikes; 01-03-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Thanks sirbikes GREAT PICTURES!!! you have been very helpful.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Ronin82
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in for results, wanna see what you are planning

Old 01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ronin82
in for results, wanna see what you are planning
Im going to paint them flat gunmetal grey to match the accent trim on the doors and dash. I think the flat silver they come with looks wrong. my wife would says im **** about things matching. i really just love customizing. i believe trying to vinyl wrap the center piece would be a major pain in the a**. plus i have found that over time the vinyl will eventally start shrinking alittle and pulling away from the part. then you will have to do it all over again. hopefully they will come out with real carbon fiber pieces to replace them with like standard mini coopers and the countryman wrc cars have.

Last edited by countryman-s; 01-03-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by countryman-s
Im going to paint them flat gunmetal grey to match the accent trim on the doors and dash. I think the flat silver they come with looks wrong.
Well, this takes us back. In the beginning, there were two finishes on the trim pieces. As I recall, the non-S got a nice silver finish and the S got a grey finish. Neither matched anything else, however. I don't know if they are still doing both.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM
ayk07
4th Gear
does anyone know where i can buy color dashboard trim line?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
why was this color scheme never offered

Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
why was this color scheme never offered

That's only offered on the new 2013 JCW Countryman

Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ayk07
does anyone know where i can buy color dashboard trim line?
Redline Goods (redlinegoods.com) has the Colorline for the R55/56/57. Maybe they have it for the R60. If not, I think they say they will use you car as the model and give you the parts for free.

Larry

Old 07-12-2013, 04:20 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
Thanks to Jeremy Brooks responding to my other post I was able to get the A-pillar trim off. It turned out to be quite simple. Just remove the T25 torx bolt under the round cap Airbag cap. You can pop this cap off by starting from the top of it.

Then pull the trim piece upward and it will come right out. Here it is with the piece removed.

The right side is more difficult than the left because you have to remove several (4 I think) T20 torx screws and 1 T25 torx bolt of the glove compartment. Then you can get to the vent trim screw underneath, which I had already removed when I took the photo (center of pic).

Side screw locations after popping off the side cover and lower right pieces. I already removed the top screw.

Removing the vent trim.

Vent trim off.
Thank you for this post! I have spent the last 2 hours in 100+ degrees trying to find all of the screws Missed the T25.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Will Velez
Neutral
Removal Video

Can anyone post a video of the dash removal process. I am looking to Plastic-Dip the vents and the Mickey mouse ears (for lack of a better word).

I appreciate the pic and all but the video will give me that extra bit of confidence.

Also. Why do we need to take the A-pillar trim off? and is it both sides. The Pics are just one side. ITs late so if I am being dense be kind...

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 AM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the pillar trim needs to be removed because there's one screw for the vent pieces located directly under it. you'll need a shorty or right angle driver handle to get it since it's fairly close to the windshield on both sides. both sides are pretty much the same except for the lower mounting on the passenger side, there's a screw that needs to be removed from the glove box in order to remove the vent cover. it's really not that complicated once ya dive into it, just have magnetized star bits available and you can get a cheap set of trim removal tools at harbor freight.

if you're interested in getting the pieces sprayed before hand let me know, i have the stock (grey vents and mickey) ones that i'd be willing to sell. that might help speed things up a bit and let you handle the pieces to see how and where they mount.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Will Velez
Neutral
Thanks for the help

I am going to PLasti-Dip Em as soon as I can find time on a weekend. Going with Gun metal also to match the rest. The good thin dip;n them is that If I dont like them finishi or get bored of it I can just peel it off.

Ill post some pics when I get it done.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM
PepeR60
2nd Gear
Can someone tell me, or post a pic, of how to take the trim piece below the vent. I can do the sides easy enough, but not sure where to start with the bottom piece and don't want to break it. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Brad79
2nd Gear
The lower dash trim peaces just pop off. They are held on by clips. The parts are well made should not break during removal.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:37 AM
bmalicious
1st Gear
Anyone know how to remove the top dashboard? ( gen 2 )

Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by bmalicious
Anyone know how to remove the top dashboard? ( gen 2 )
You'll have better luck in the gen 2 forum. This is the countryman forum.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 PM
NotSoMini5
1st Gear
Great pictures, but what did you do about the airbag in the a pillar?attempting this as we speak but nervous about the airbag. Thanks!

Originally Posted by sirbikes

Removing the vent trim.

Vent trim off.

Quick Reply: R60 Removing dash trim?