2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Countryman center armrest

Does anyone know if you can retrofit the factory armrest? Thanks

Old 01-07-2012, 04:34 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I remember seeing it on the accessory list. It caught my attention because it was listed at $169 instead of the $250 option price. I am sure that if you get it installed at the dealer it will end up costing more than $250 but how hard could it be to do yourself?

I don't know if it is the same as the one you get when you configure the CM with it up front but I really don't see any reason why MINI would spend the development Pound Sterling to make two versions of the armrest.

It might be worth a call to the parts department.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what your looking to do... I've taken mine out after several attempts of using the snap in cradle....ended up re-installing after a few months.. Also added a 2nd arm/center console for the rear seat passengers. can find it here..http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...n_armrest.html. Pics in my gallery.

Last edited by Flyer53; 01-08-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Does that work with 2-piece center rails as well?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FredoinSF
I remember seeing it on the accessory list. It caught my attention because it was listed at $169 instead of the $250 option price. I am sure that if you get it installed at the dealer it will end up costing more than $250 but how hard could it be to do yourself?

I don't know if it is the same as the one you get when you configure the CM with it up front but I really don't see any reason why MINI would spend the development Pound Sterling to make two versions of the armrest.

It might be worth a call to the parts department.
the $169 version doesn't have all the electronic connections cables for the telephone snap in . the $250 option from the factory does. to retrofit the factory one, it's $300 on just the parts alone

Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by youthanasia
Does that work with 2-piece center rails as well?
i don't see why it wouldn't work. I have the rear bench seat so essentially just the front half of the 2-piece center rails

Old 01-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Essentially it's made for those who opted out of the center armrest and now would like to add one. Back when I ordered my CM (12/10) if I wanted the option regarding the snapin cradle, you needed to order it with the $250. Armrest. Again, in my case (12/10 build) if I now wanted to add the expensive armrest with the base for the cradle my vehicle would not have the necessary factory pre-wire needed for connections, has nothing to do with the supplied Y cable with mini connected. The snap-in cradle is just another way of connecting.
If your just looking to add the armrest now for lazy elbow syndrome or in Sealy's case (Cracker Holder), there is a base support under the rail that the armrest can be supported to. In my case when I added a 2nd popcorn/peanut holder for my rear seat passengers I had to add some support. Perhaps the newer builds now include that support. Now that I think about it...those rear cabin passengers enjoying a beverage @ 39,000' do not have there own private cracker/peanut/popcorn holder....and they pay 2000-2500 per hour to enjoy there ride

Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't a 3rd party option that just snaps onto the rail and can be moved backward/forward/removed quickly. Having the armrest screw into the rail seems like overkill to me. I'd like an armrest for long trips, but don't want one the rest of the time.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Brad79
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info. Does anyone have the part number? I contactied the service department at dealership and they indicated that the armrest part could not be purchased and added after the original factory assembly.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Couple of posts up is the link where you can purchase the 3rd party armrest without cradle integration. You can buy the center arm console w and w/o the cradle wiring as I did.
Traveling so not able to check my files... If I can find it on the I pad I'll forward it or check the official mini motoring accessories web page, should be listed.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Chrunck, I agree and would think someone would have something out. I actually took the snap-in base of one of the cup holders for the rail and adapted it to fit on the armrest for that exact purpose....the base of the armrest needed to be cut down as the height with the snap-in made it uncomfortable and the plastic base was not very stable.. for a cup or sun glass holder but not the weight of the armrest and your lazy elbow... Well not yours specifically, just elbows in general
Looked into making something out of stainless or aluminum....but it's somewhat involved. Need to sell a couple of thousand or so just to pay for tooling for a fixture

Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 PM
TDE
Neutral
Originally Posted by Flyer53
Not sure what your looking to do... I've taken mine out after several attempts of using the snap in cradle....ended up re-installing after a few months.. Also added a 2nd arm/center console for the rear seat passengers. can find it here..http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...n_armrest.html. Pics in my gallery.

Hi - can I just ask how simple it was to install the rear arm rest - did you use this kit

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=51&fg=35

Also, would you say the front and rear armrests are the same (the actual armrest itself), as in the uk, the rear arm rest is about £100 more expensive ??

Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TDE
Hi - can I just ask how simple it was to install the rear arm rest - did you use this kit

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=51&fg=35

Also, would you say the front and rear armrests are the same (the actual armrest itself), as in the uk, the rear arm rest is about £100 more expensive ??
I purchased the rear armrest from Outmotoring here:
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...n_armrest.html
It looked identical to the factory installed front armrest without all the guts and wires for connected/cradle. After removing the front one and realizing it would fit fine in the rear...I had to remove the rails and drill holes through the rail into the frame of the seat...The base of the 2nd armrest already had holes prepped in the base under the snap off cover. I don't remember if I used self taping sheet metal screws or I was able to reach my hand underneath for a washer & nut. In my 2011 there was no prep from the factory for the rear armrest...perhaps in the new models there might be... Also I have buckets rather than the bench. Hope this helps...Should have some pictures in my gallery as well.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
TDE
Neutral
Hi Flyer53

Thanks so much for your reply - I think I may get mini to order in both the front and rear so I can compare !!!

In your opinion does the rear one sit ok - I just think it might sit too far forward

Would welcome your thoughts

Kind regards
Tracey

Old 09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TDE
Hi Flyer53

Thanks so much for your reply - I think I may get mini to order in both the front and rear so I can compare !!!

In your opinion does the rear one sit ok - I just think it might sit too far forward

Would welcome your thoughts

Kind regards
Tracey
Hi Tracy,
I'm pretty sure the one I ordered from Outmotoring is the same as the one from Mini as I was not looking for a 3rd party duplicate and at that time the part #'s matched as well. Also the more I looked at the pictures and recalled the install, I did not drill in into the frame, only through the rail and secured with washer and nut and found it to be plenty secure. The front armrest is mounted through the rail and continues into the frame as well. As far it's position, I did locate it as far back on the rail as possible. Probably with some additional effort you might be able to locate it even back farther...I found it to be fine, without going to any additional work...
Keep us updated on what you decide and how things work out....

Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM
sbdubya
3rd Gear
I ordered mine from Moss Mini. It is not the Mini factory one it's made by a company in Italy. Right now Moss Mini has it on sale for about $70. It has a large tub section with a leather covered/padded arm rest.

The mounting system clamps onto the outer parts of the rail. I modified mine with longer "clamps" due to the ones provided do not grip the rail securely enough. The clamps are made out of thin steel, any home supply/hardware shop should have it.

And yes there is a thread concerning this issue from a couple of years ago in this section. And no there really hasn't been any aftermarket action for the center rail.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by sbdubya
I ordered mine from Moss Mini. It is not the Mini factory one it's made by a company in Italy. Right now Moss Mini has it on sale for about $70. It has a large tub section with a leather covered/padded arm rest.

The mounting system clamps onto the outer parts of the rail. I modified mine with longer "clamps" due to the ones provided do not grip the rail securely enough. The clamps are made out of thin steel, any home supply/hardware shop should have it.

And yes there is a thread concerning this issue from a couple of years ago in this section. And no there really hasn't been any aftermarket action for the center rail.
Can u post a pic of what your armrest looks like in the car? Certainly is a lot less $$ than the factory or similar ones i've seen.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 AM
DWooderson
2nd Gear
Can someone post a link to the Moss Mini arm rest? EDIT: It looks like Moss stopped carrying (BMW) Mini parts.

Here is the supposedly OEM kit (same as the Outmotoring kit) from Sewell for $242.

http://mini.sewellparts.com/accessor...2012/4945.html

Last edited by DWooderson; 12-05-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:06 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Moss has stopped carrying MINI parts just over a year ago. The Sewell one is a similar style to the OEM unit. The one that sbdubya refers to is the same one i have and is available on Ebay. It has a bit more storage, is more comfortable on the elbow and is less expensive. Here's a link MINI Armrest.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:50 AM
DWooderson
2nd Gear
Thank you for that Mikey, I like that option better. Did you reinforce the mount like sbdubya? If not, are you happy with the mounting solution?

Old 12-05-2014, 12:06 PM
sbdubya
3rd Gear
Just saw this thread come back to life. Sorry I did not post any photos because I do not subscribe to each thread.

To modify the mount is very simple just need a small sheet of steel available at most hardware stores. Do some measuring and put a 90 degree bend for it to go under the rail. I've had to readjust mine a few time due to passengers pushing on it to get out. But I just re-bend it to fit snugly under the rail.

Another option I've considered is to drill some holes though the bottom of the armrest (has a wooden base). And then corresponding ones through the rail and mount it directly that way. The rail has clearance under it for a bolt head, just don't go too big and short bolts. Also the rail is easy to remove so performing this wouldn't be a hassle. That way the armrest will not move when someone pushes against it.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DWooderson
Thank you for that Mikey, I like that option better. Did you reinforce the mount like sbdubya? If not, are you happy with the mounting solution?
I have one between the front seats and one between the back seats. Never had any problem with them coming loose and they've been there for about 15 mos now.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 PM
PureWorks
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mikey_t
I have one between the front seats and one between the back seats. Never had any problem with them coming loose and they've been there for about 15 mos now.
I have two uninstalled Moss Mini armrest as pictured above on Ebay for $136 each. I was going to do the front/rear arm rest set up and haven't had the time to make the change so I'll sell if someone wants them at $120 a piece plus shipping or $200 for the pair. The leather is much softer and they slide forward for more comfort.