R60 Countryman - Rear seat fold - Comfort for dogs

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012 | 09:33 AM
dj.izhai
|
Neutral
Countryman - Rear seat fold - Comfort for dogs

Hello everyone,
Really scratching my head to figure out a way to accomodate my comapanion into one of those countryman. He is a husky/chao mix with over 70 lbs. We really liked the countryman, but the rear seats is not folding all the way down, which limits my option to:

1) Get with bench seats for rear.
2) Get a cover to go over the rear seat to make them flat (Does this reduce the cubic space on the back, esp the height from the seat to the roof).
3) Also any updates on the cold start issue ?
4) Are all owners are happy with countryman or is there any sad faces ?

If anyone has any inputs, I would really love to hear them. Thanks for reading till the end.

Love,
Prasanna.

Last edited by dj.izhai; 02-16-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: missed some points
Old 02-16-2012 | 10:42 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
I'm not a dog person, but why can't a dog sit on a very slight incline?

Old 02-16-2012 | 11:17 AM
misterb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dj.izhai
Hello everyone,
Really scratching my head to figure out a way to accomodate my comapanion into one of those countryman. He is a husky/chao mix with over 70 lbs. We really liked the countryman, but the rear seats is not folding all the way down,.
There is someone on this forum who "ratchets" down his rears seats so that they are flat - with straps maybe - i dunno but try searching the word ratchet.

Old 02-16-2012 | 11:18 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dj.izhai
Hello everyone,
Really scratching my head to figure out a way to accomodate my comapanion into one of those countryman. He is a husky/chao mix with over 70 lbs. We really liked the countryman, but the rear seats is not folding all the way down...
If anyone has any inputs, I would really love to hear them. Thanks for reading till the end...
Get a ratchet tie down strap, flip down the rear seats, run the strap across the headrest posts from loop to loop on the floor near the outside front of the rear seats. Crank them flatter. Put the back shelf behind the front seats (if you got the two-part rail). Cover the back with a thick moving blanket. Load up the dog(s). Works fine.

Second level is to add a board, as described on several threads at NAM to make the back more "flat" but not necessarily level.

Old 02-16-2012 | 12:13 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghamma
. . . from loop to loop on the floor near the outside front of the rear seats.
Loops on the floor are disguised as two plastic ears sticking up. Remove the plastic covers and there they be. Nobody said it, and it's my bette noir, so let me say: optional flat load floor when you order.

Oh, and the rear bumper protector, too.

Old 02-16-2012 | 12:18 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
...Nobody said it, and it's my bette noir, so let me say: optional flat load floor when you order...
From someone who has dogs and ordered the flat load floor:

I am THOROUGHLY disappointed that the "flat-load floor" is not level. A waste of $250!!! It is at a flat angle which makes the idea of riding with the dogs in the back with the seats down a real challenge that I have not yet conquered...

Old 02-16-2012 | 12:35 PM
Leader
3rd Gear
Maybe bete noire?

Originally Posted by Sealy
...it's my bette noir, so let me say: optional flat load floor when you order...
I have a 70-pound Portuguese Water Dog who happily rides in either bucket in the back seat. I covered the rear center-rail with a thick piece of black foam rubber (matches the seats perfectly), which keeps him from getting a paw stuck.
While he prefers riding "shotgun," my wife usually calls it first.

@Sealy: Isn't "bette noir" The Divine Miss M's backup group? No, wait...that's The Harlettes.

Old 02-16-2012 | 01:07 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghamma
I am THOROUGHLY disappointed that the "flat-load floor" is not level.
My optional flat load floor is perfectly flat and level. It's the standard, flip forward floor that is the problem. I thought you solved that with the ratcheting? My kids don't seem to mind it.

As for bete noire - I should have checked the spelling. Sorry. And Ms. Midler's backup group are the Harlettes.

Old 02-16-2012 | 02:56 PM
NickyD999
2nd Gear
When we were at the dealer we checked out a model with the bench seat and flat load floor and when the seats were folded it was pretty flat. Maybe not perfect but I think with a blanket in the right spot it should be fine.

We have a 9 month old English Mastiff who is still growing but currently weighs 160 lbs. From the measuring I did at the dealer he is going be nice and comfortable back there with the seats folded down.

Old 02-16-2012 | 06:11 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
I waited for a bench seat car because of the dogs. I did not want to get their paws caught in the space between the rails and the buckets.

My guys ride in the back seat. I just have the bench seat in its standard position with a cover and life is good. Other people on the forum fold the seats down and then cover the entire back area. Regardless of which way you go the CM is fairly versatile and will handle a 70 pound dog just fine.

The leatherette is very durable and wipes off easily. The lounge leather looks nice but I don't know how it would do with repeated large pooch abuse. While the carpet and mats seem a little flimsy, the door materials and center console are holding up well. Get the rubber mats front and rear to make carpet clean up easier.

Old 02-16-2012 | 09:33 PM
Augsburg57
1st Gear
We got the flat load floor for our TWO Great Danes. One is 135 pounds the other 150 pounds. We fit both in the back together for short trips. They love it. Almost 300 pounds of dogs in the back.

Old 02-20-2012 | 10:24 PM
MontanaMini
2nd Gear
I have two Golden Retrievers that sit/lay in the back bucket seats. I purchased a seat cover from Pooch Style--it comes with a small pillow that fits in the rail and keeps their paws out of trouble areas. And then stuff a pillow or two in front of the seats so they have more surface area to lay on. I also use Ruff Rider halters to keep the girls safe in case of sudden stops.
I considered getting the seat-down mats from Pooch Style, but because of the material (felt?) used on the back of the seats and on the flat load floor, I went with the other option. Having had the girls (60ish and 80ish lbs) in the back of the MCS back in the day, hair getting into that felt material was a pain in the **** every time I tried to clean the car. Not sure if that's the case with other dog hair, but Golden hair burrows in like a tick.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

As far as happiness with the CM, I'm very satisfied with Tallulah. I definitely miss my MCS for it's size, but love the CM for it's handling in the snow and the perk of having windows for the dogs to stick their heads out....

Old 05-31-2012 | 04:08 PM
andycards
1st Gear
If you didn't get the fold flat floor, here is a really inexpensive option to consider, works great for my two collies. Scroll down the thread to postings...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rofit-kit.html