1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 2011 Mini Countryman Power Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Tommy Lee
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2011 Mini Countryman Power Mirrors

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with power folding mirrors on their Mini Countryman? I have a 2011 Mini Countryman ALL4 S special ordered with EVERYTHING but GPS. And I mean everything! In the one year that I have now owned this Mini (Mar 2011 - Mar 2012), I have had to take it to the dealership 6-times for failing power folding mirrors. They either unfold or fold to 45-degrees and stop vs. the full 90-degrees. So far my dealership has replaced both mirror motors, the mirror motor control module, and performed 3-different software updates on the ECU along the way. It's really been quite a hassle. When I ask am I the only one out there with this issue, they tell me they've never seen another Mini Countryman with this problem? So, has anyone else out there had this problem with their 2011 Mini Countryman? ...or am I truly the only one? Thanks for any feedback.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use mine all the time and have not had an issue. At this point I'd be suggesting to service that something else is causing the problem ... like maybe high resistance in the mirror assembly itself causing the motor to fail or the fuse to blow. Most people do not know how to properly troubleshoot by not finding the root cause of the problem. Maybe have them talk to Mini engineering or support.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Zaftig has the same problem. Sometimes just the passenger side, sometimes both. I really hate dealing with service, so I'm waiting for that magic moment when PIA overtakes dread. Maybe when the weather clears and I have a free day off.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Tommy Lee
Neutral
Post Thanks sirbikes

Originally Posted by sirbikes
I use mine all the time and have not had an issue. At this point I'd be suggesting to service that something else is causing the problem ... like maybe high resistance in the mirror assembly itself causing the motor to fail or the fuse to blow. Most people do not know how to properly troubleshoot by not finding the root cause of the problem. Maybe have them talk to Mini engineering or support.
Unfortunately they were in contact with Mini North America, and scheduled my last visit when they could have an engineer onsite. The Mini North America Engineer was the one to advise on replacing the mirror motor control module and doing yet another software update.

It hasn't been that long since the last service, and the mirrors have only been used a few times since, however they have worked in those few times. I'll keep everyone posted. I was mainly just wondering if I was indeed the only one with the problem. So far, looks like 'Zaftig' has it also

Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
Mine does it as well. Both sides fail to fold/unfold at different times.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Tommy Lee
Neutral
Thanks Bmtespar

Originally Posted by Bmtespar
Mine does it as well. Both sides fail to fold/unfold at different times.
Thanks Bmtespar for sharing! I knew I couldn't be the only one out there with this problem. I just want my Mini dealer to be honest with me. I realize it's a brand new model here in the U.S., and its to be expected that there could be some quirks. I just want my Mini dealer to be honest with me about it, and propose working together to resolve it. Not treat me like I'm crazy with an imaginary problem.

My issue started out with both mirrors randomly stopping when unfolding at roughly 45-degrees. The issue then progressed to both mirrors randomly stopping when either folding or unfolding at 45-degrees. And from there, they progressed to both mirrors intermittently (either driver or passenger by itself), randomly stopping at 45-degrees while either folding or unfolding.

As a mechanical engineer myself, I don't understand what is so hard to fix here. Why don't they simply have an open and closed switch. When the mirrors are activated and rotate the full 90-degrees, which would trigger either switch, then have that switch relay to the ECU to cut power to the mirror motors, as they have either been fully opened, or fully closed. It really should be that simple! My Mini dealer tried to tell me that power mirror failures have no hard code, and that failures are not logged by the ECU. Yet in one of the 6-repair attempts thus far, I was advised that my mirrors had triggered a hard code. When I confronted my Mini dealer about the contradiction, they developed a bad sense of the stutters in trying to explain what they couldn't. It's just been extremely poor service so far for my very first Mini

Last edited by Tommy Lee; 03-02-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Verc
1st Gear
Please don't flame me for this, but why do people need power folding mirrors on the Mini? I have them on mine and the difference between folded and unfolded is only an inch or so. I never park my baby close enough to anything where I would be worried about hitting the mirror. I understand the need on an Escalade or Explorer but I only have it on my Mini because it came with the package.

Just curious...

Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Tommy Lee
Neutral
Post Hey Verc,

Originally Posted by Verc
Please don't flame me for this, but why do people need power folding mirrors on the Mini? I have them on mine and the difference between folded and unfolded is only an inch or so. I never park my baby close enough to anything where I would be worried about hitting the mirror. I understand the need on an Escalade or Explorer but I only have it on my Mini because it came with the package.

Just curious...
It's quite simple really. Where I live, real estate is at the highest premium next to NYC. As such, I live in a condo with a tandem garage. I'm sure you're aware, but for those who aren't, a tandem garage has a single door, and is long enough to accomodate two vehicles one behind the other. The problem with single door garages in my area is that they are barely large enough to fit a Smart Car through, let alone a Mini. The Mini Countryman is actually slightly wider than the Mini itself. And yes, if I wanted to creep along at a snails pace every time I parked in or left my garage, then I would not need the folding mirrors. But, my wife still would!!! The point is, the folding mirrors make it much easier to pull in and out of a single door garage, as well as keeping other people from dinging them on those rare occasions that you are forced to park like sardines in a can when in the city. My current living conditions are the reason that I specifically ordered the power mirrors on my Countryman. Hope that helps

Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy Lee
As a mechanical engineer myself, I don't understand what is so hard to fix here.
As an aerospace engineer that's in an engineering management position accountable for cost & schedule, you get 3 chances to address why the solution requiring additional hardware per vehicle may have won out in the original design prior to getting this customer feedback (I'm pretty sure you already know the answer!)

My answer may be wrong, but I'm willing to bet a word that rhymes with "schmoney" somehow factors in!

Back on topic - I've got the power mirrors too (came with package) and have also encountered the freeze up 2 times, but both times I encountered them, there was ice build up around the base housing and that's what I figured stopped the motor. Have the other issues occurred when some obstruction wasn't a factor?

Hopefully the service guys were at least entertaining when they started tap dancing! Let us know what comes of this & good luck!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Tommy Lee
Neutral
Post Thanks Rktcyntst,

Originally Posted by Rktcyntst
As an aerospace engineer that's in an engineering management position accountable for cost & schedule, you get 3 chances to address why the solution requiring additional hardware per vehicle may have won out in the original design prior to getting this customer feedback (I'm pretty sure you already know the answer!)

My answer may be wrong, but I'm willing to bet a word that rhymes with "schmoney" somehow factors in!

Back on topic - I've got the power mirrors too (came with package) and have also encountered the freeze up 2 times, but both times I encountered them, there was ice build up around the base housing and that's what I figured stopped the motor. Have the other issues occurred when some obstruction wasn't a factor?

Hopefully the service guys were at least entertaining when they started tap dancing! Let us know what comes of this & good luck!
I'm sure your answer is correct, and I'll definitely keep everyone posted. I live in the SouthWest, and ice is never an issue for me here. But to specifically answer your question:

Have the other issues occurred when some obstruction wasn't a factor?
Yes, my problems have always occurred with no obstructions whatsoever. No ice, no dust, no mud, no wax buildup, nothing. Just a meticulously kept Mini Countryman ALL4 S in all its glory, ...except for the occasional failing power mirrors

Old 03-02-2012, 04:05 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
My mirrors stick about 1 in 10 times and I have to toggle to get them to fold in all the way. It's an annoyance, but it doesn't happen often enough to take it to the dealer.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Tommy Lee
Neutral
Post Thanks chrunck,

Originally Posted by chrunck
My mirrors stick about 1 in 10 times and I have to toggle to get them to fold in all the way. It's an annoyance, but it doesn't happen often enough to take it to the dealer.
Hey chrunck, thanks for posting! It's really nice to see that I'm not the only one who has this issue. Plus, the more Mini owners that speak up, the better. It'll be what makes Mini North America take a more serious look at this issue, and get it resolved. BTW, it's roughly the same for me. About 1 in 10 times.

My issue is, for the amount of money I paid for this special ordered Countryman, I shouldn't have to contend with such annoyances.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy Lee
My issue is, for the amount of money I paid for this special ordered Countryman, I shouldn't have to contend with such annoyances.
AMEN!!! I think part of the reason I don't see too many CM around is because the cost of entry is steep when compared to like sized cars.

You're absolutely right. For the price of these things, this stuff should 'just work'.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, my CM4 has the powered mirrors, since it was part of some package.

When do you guys retract the mirrors? I may have used them 10 times since getting the car...obviously I'm missing something here.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghamma
...obviously I'm missing something here.
Well, since you brought it up . . . no, I won't even say it.

Zaftig spends time on a narrow street and always gets his mirrors folded - for reference, my SO forgot to fold the mirrors on my BMW and it cost about $500 to replace one that got hit in the night. Zaftig also gets them folded at the Metro lot and in most parking lots. People around here have about -100% respect for other's property. You do what you can not to make it easy for them.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
Well, since you brought it up . . . no, I won't even say it.

Zaftig spends time on a narrow street and always gets his mirrors folded - for reference, my SO forgot to fold the mirrors on my BMW and it cost about $500 to replace one that got hit in the night. Zaftig also gets them folded at the Metro lot and in most parking lots. People around here have about -100% respect for other's property. You do what you can not to make it easy for them.
Could not agree more. I use mine every time I park.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use mine everyday no issues, 10 months.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 PM
NearDooWhaler
Neutral
Soooooooo........I too don't get the "when" they're supposta be used....if they're part of the "cold weather package", are they supposta ice up less in the folded postion???!!
(Keep in mind, I could play a caveman on TV!)

Old 04-29-2015, 09:13 PM
NearDooWhaler
Neutral
Soooooooo........I too don't get the "when" they're supposta be used....if they're part of the "cold weather package", are they supposta ice up less in the folded postion???!!
(Keep in mind, I could play a caveman on TV!)

Old 04-29-2015, 10:18 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
I've not used them other than by accident. Only seen half a day of snow since I've owned the car. I would imagine they stay cleaner, less icy and also safer when the snow plow passes by.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:17 AM
tzo
1st Gear
I use mine every time i park.I bought the car used and i own it 4 months now.Many times the mirrors stop at 45 degrees but then i m using again the button(for the mirrors)to the opposite side and everything is good.I m not going to the dealership cause i dont want to spend money for this small inconvenience.