1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Possible New Mini Countryman Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM
srlangone
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible New Mini Countryman Owner

My wife and I went looking yesterday for a new car. She will be the primary driver and has really enjoyed test driving the Mini Countryman All4. The previous car she owns is a 2003 Liberty Limited 4wd. As it looks right now we will be special ordering the car from the factory and from what the car salesman says will take approximately 6-8 weeks before we do this does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Looking into getting the Sport suspension, and 18" wheels. Also we are not in a rush to buy.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never experienced it myself, and comfort is subjective, but every review I have ever read says not to get the sport suspension- it is too stiff.

If I were you I would at least take an extended test drive with it before you commit.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 AM
srlangone
Neutral
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rm-test-review

I was going with car and driver long term discussion about sport suspension.

Other aspects of our Mini shepherdship have raised complaints, however. A recurring gripe is the car’s ride, which many find too harsh for our rough roads. Mini offers two ways to stiffen the legs of the Countryman: larger wheels (which we didn’t spec for our test car) and a $500 Sport suspension (which we did). While we sometimes fantasize about a non-Sport Countryman, pairing a softer suspension with the car’s high center of gravity might result in a car that wallows like a pint-sized UPS truck. And for every complaint about the ride, someone else is praising the Countryman’s dynamics. We’ve noted previously that its directional changes aren’t quite as hummingbird-quick as those of its smaller Mini siblings, but for general afternoon hustles, it regularly satisfies.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I have the sport suspension and I love it. I think there's too much roll in the corners without it.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Originally Posted by srlangone
My wife and I went looking yesterday for a new car. She will be the primary driver and has really enjoyed test driving the Mini Countryman All4. The previous car she owns is a 2003 Liberty Limited 4wd. As it looks right now we will be special ordering the car from the factory and from what the car salesman says will take approximately 6-8 weeks before we do this does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Looking into getting the Sport suspension, and 18" wheels. Also we are not in a rush to buy.
We went with the sport suspension, but with the base 17" wheels with the all-season tire option. It works nicely; crisp handling but acceptable ride, and has the tires I need for winter mountain driving in the west. I have had no complaints regarding the ride from my co-driver, and she is sensitive to ride quality. If you select the 18" wheels, they will have summer tires only. Since run-flat tires are all that is offered, I suggest going with the taller sidewall tires on the 17" wheels to give more tire compliance.

If you go with the 17" wheels and later regret it, you could buy or swap for 18" wheels, preferably with non-run flats (and carry a mobility tire inflation/puncture repair kit).

Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 AM
srlangone
Neutral
Well I have looked around the internet and they do sell 225/45 R18 run flats (which I would buy and have dealer install). Since BMW owns Mini is it possible to take the Mini to a BMW dealer for warranty work? Reason for asking this is because we went to a Mini dealer (there is a BMW within walking distance) which is close to the house and did not like one of the individuals trying to sell us a car and later went to a dealership which was 55 miles away and really enjoyed and they do offer car pick-up within 75 miles but why bother when we could walk to the BMW dealership for work. Thanks to everyone for helping with our decision. If anyone has any experience ordering their Mini could you please briefly explain what someone can expect or what you would do differently.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM
sbdubya
3rd Gear
srlangone,
Sorry but you can not take your Mini to a BMW dealer for service. I called Mini to ask this when researching/ordering mine. Nearest dealer at the time was 60 miles away, now only 35, while there is a BMW dealer in my town.
As for ordering make sure you get everything covered. I forgot to get the universal remote and by the time I realized it it was too late to modify the order. Installed a Flash2Pass and it works fine.
Good luck and the wait will be about 8 weeks.

Last edited by sbdubya; 03-26-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM
JasonCarp
2nd Gear
sport supension

I have it, and love it. 17' Pirelli Run Flats at 45 psi. I will be switching to an all season non-RF come fall and rolling the dice with slime and a compressor. May look to pick up a cheap spare for the roof rack on backwoods camping trips.

It is going to depend on what you are used to driving. I came out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee for me and my wife's wrangler, her '09 MC Base spoiled me on the handling. I have driven trucks and SUV's and I loved the road feel and handling of the sport suspension. Yeah, it's a rough ride with the run flats, but not teeth chattering like people say and I have taken it down the pothole specials of Michigan, washboard dirt roads, and 600 miles in one day form MN to MI when I brought her home. If you are coming out of a Cadillac or Buick Roadmaster, you might want to stick with the regular suspension.

Test drive both on a couple different terrains, and decide from there.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
srlangone
Neutral
Great help everyone, the wife she drives a 03 Jeep Liberty that she enjoys but it's starting to give her some fits. When she test drove them I thought they were smoothed (since I'm used to driving a 4x4 diesel pickup). I suppose the dealer will give you a spec sheet before it's ordered? And they are asking for 1k deposit this is normal correct. While researching the Mini's I came across a diesel that might be in the near future but not within one year I think please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
JasonCarp
2nd Gear
I wouldn't plan on the diesel anytime soon. We asked our MA since my BIL wants one for his 50 mile one way commute each day, and they said to convert the Euro version to US standards was too costly. But, you never know...

Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Royson G
I have never experienced it myself, and comfort is subjective, but every review I have ever read says not to get the sport suspension- it is too stiff.

If I were you I would at least take an extended test drive with it before you commit.
Funny, every review I've read plus my personal experience says to get the sport suspension with the 17" wheels for a perfect balance of comfort and go-kart sportiness. I think you'll regret skipping out on the sport suspension. Just don't get the 18" wheels b/c the combination of the two is quite rough.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 PM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JasonCarp
17' Pirelli Run Flats at 45 psi.
Pressures that high look like a certain recipe for a harsh ride, run-flats or not.

Didn't you like the handling with the recommended 32/34 psi? (That's what I use very happily on my Bridgestone Dueller run-flats.)

Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
I LOVE my Countryman sport.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear
srlangone,

I wanted to share what I learned through my recent ordering process. When I submitted my first CMS order, we overlooked to change the color of the headliner from beige to anthracite. With the black interior, red color line and red door panels, we felt that the beige headliner would of clashed. Fortunately, the MA had me resubmit a new order to change the headliner, which I then proceeded to upgrade SARGENT to All4 and added a few other options. Another point to share, I wanted the black carbon leather with red door panels, but when I would build it online the default door panels were tobacco, which I did not want. Playing with the build configurator I was able to add the red door panels, which I then showed my MA how to do so we could place the order. During this very exciting time it is so easy to overlook some items, but in my case it worked out since I got exactly what I wanted. I suppose that this is what makes MINI's so unique, because there are so many options available.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:40 AM
srlangone
Neutral
Thank you all for the valuable input! My wife and I put a deposit down yesterday at the dealership which had a contract with NFCU's price options and all I can say is the process was painless and one of the best I have ever had with a dealership. We are expecting our car around 8 weeks or so and look forward to taking delivery. In celebration last night when we got home we watched the Italian Job.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
srlangone
Neutral
As of right now the Mini is finished and waiting transport, I have read some post that an issue with the Mini's are their fuel system does anyone have any information to help me in preventing this issue?

Last edited by srlangone; 04-19-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
As of right now the Mini is finished and waiting transport, I have read some post that an issue with the Mini's our their fuel system does anyone have any information to help me in preventing this issue?
This only affected a batch of cars built early last year - including mine - and was simply a 5-minute dealer fix to replace a feed pipe that could, apparently, have been damaged in extreme circumstances.

It's nothing to worry about; nor do you need to do anything as the new pipe has been standard for months.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
If for what ever reason your looking to later upgrade to the sport package with the 18" rims and tires.. Let me know, I may be selling my suspension and wheel tire combo! Going to go stiffer and a different direction!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM
srlangone
Neutral
My wife choose the 18" wheel and sport suspension. How do you currently like it on your Mini?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:17 PM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
it runs good.. But used to more of a dropped car on bigger rims and tires.. Also looking to do more of a race application than a daily driver. That being said, for your wife it will be great!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
srlangone
Neutral
The big day is approaching. We go on Friday to pick up the countryman. Again I want to thank everyone for providing some very good information to us during this process.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i have sport suspension and 18" wheels with pirelli p7 cinturato summer rf tires

at the stock 32psi the ride was terrible

i upped the pressure to 38psi, as stated in the owners manual, and it is like a different car

rides great, handles better than at 32psi

my dad has an all4 also, standard suspension and 17" pirelli cinturato all season rf tires and i have to say, i am extremely happy i got the sport suspension and 18" wheels

scott

Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
PICS

Old 05-12-2012, 04:52 AM
srlangone
Neutral
Well here it is we picked the car up yesterday at Mini of Annapolis. The guys there were great we would definitely recommend them to anyone looking to buy a Mini!

Old 05-12-2012, 05:48 AM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
Looks great - congrats! I sure wish I had the red door inserts...look me up if you ever get sick of 'em

Quick Reply: R60 Possible New Mini Countryman Owner