1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 4,200 miles and still smiling...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
garmjoe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4,200 miles and still smiling...

Haven't posted in awhile. It seems like when you've ordered your Countryman and are waiting for it you're posting/reading endlessly, but after you pick it up, you're just too busy motoring to post!

I have to say that after about 4200 miles I'm still having a great time. I have not enjoyed a car so much in a long time. Everytime I get in it I'm in a better mood. So far no major issues except for one false low tire warning and that smelly clutch thing when I over revved a few times going up a garage ramp. I'm still averaging about 30+ combined mpg too.

I love listening to Pandora on my PC and my droid and did not know until a few weeks ago that I can actually stream Pandora via bluetooth from my droid with my Mini Connected. Initially was bummed because I thought I could only do it with an iphone (which I plan to get when the i5 comes out). It works with my droid now but you don't get the album cover display and you have to control it via your droid. That's ok with me for now because I really enjoy my music selections on Pandora more than local radio or XM.

I hope you all are also enjoying your Countryman as much as I am....

garmjoe & fenway

Attached Thumbnails 4,200 miles and still smiling...-fenway05.21.12.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Fireproof
2nd Gear
Great to hear!! Can't wait to get mine!!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM
MCJoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fireproof
Great to hear!! Can't wait to get mine!!
I second that! Mine should be here within 2 weeks, can't wait to start having fun!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Glad to hear all is well... I'm close to 10,000 miles on mine since late November and I'm still having a blast!

Kyle

Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Same here. 7,500 trouble free and rattle free miles since Dec 28th. No regrets.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
MiniMouse17
5th Gear
Same here! Over 3,000 miles and loving every minute!
But man is it hard to practice minimalism! I just love zooming around town!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
+1

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
I'm only at 800 miles - but I adore my car.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:03 PM
stevielaine
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so glad to see this post! My countryman is scheduled to arrive at my dealership this week, and I can't wait to get it! However, it is easy to start to get worried reading all the negative posts on here, so it is really great to hear from all of you happy CM owners! I am looking forward to joining you!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Having fun at the 2400 mile mark, all good.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
I have over 7,200 miles now and although I have had a few minor issues I love my car. The thing makes me smile everytime I drive it. I just replaced my run flats and man what a difference that makes in the car.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
I just hit 20,000 miles yesterday.

Apart from the hated runflat tires, this car has been an absolute dream to own.

Comfartable, fast, roomy and so much fun.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 PM
MCJoe
4th Gear
Wow, I seriously don't think I've read one good thing about the runflats! Why on Earth would they make something standard that causes such negative response from every single person? Is it solely because there is no room for a spare? I'm thankful for the internet, and particularly these forums, for enlightening me to this fact before I ordered so I knew to specify the all-season tires.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MCJoe
Wow, I seriously don't think I've read one good thing about the runflats! Why on Earth would they make something standard that causes such negative response from every single person? Is it solely because there is no room for a spare? I'm thankful for the internet, and particularly these forums, for enlightening me to this fact before I ordered so I knew to specify the all-season tires.
They maybe be All Season tires but they are still run flats!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
I think you are probably hearing from RF-haters. I actually like mine fine--especially since they upped the PSI to 38 at the dealership when I went in for my 90 day "checkup". I just had them rotated when I had my first oil-change (not the "free" MINI first) at 4600 miles.
I just think it is highly subjective and perhaps you can do a test drive with your focus specifically on road feel etc.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tybeegirl
I think you are probably hearing from RF-haters. I actually like mine fine--especially since they upped the PSI to 38 at the dealership when I went in for my 90 day "checkup". I just had them rotated when I had my first oil-change (not the "free" MINI first) at 4600 miles.
I just think it is highly subjective and perhaps you can do a test drive with your focus specifically on road feel etc.
honestly, its not very subjective. Try non RFTs and you'll see. But theres a certain safety and piece of mind that come with them. I did have a RF blow out on me, on the fwy in a tunnel. And they definitely saved the day letting me continue on to work. But between the expense of them, having an add with too many miles on the originals (would have to buy 4) and the harsh ride, I said forget it. The one MINI uses can't be patched, so thats a PITA.

I went with some great Michelin Pilot sports and they handle much better in the snow and rain, are much quieter and improve the ride considerably. They're cheaper to get, usually in stock at any dealer (you'll be waiting at most for RFTs) and can be patched.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
honestly, its not very subjective. Try non RFTs and you'll see. But theres a certain safety and piece of mind that come with them. I did have a RF blow out on me, on the fwy in a tunnel. And they definitely saved the day letting me continue on to work. But between the expense of them, having an add with too many miles on the originals (would have to buy 4) and the harsh ride, I said forget it. The one MINI uses can't be patched, so thats a PITA.

I went with some great Michelin Pilot sports and they handle much better in the snow and rain, are much quieter and improve the ride considerably. They're cheaper to get, usually in stock at any dealer (you'll be waiting at most for RFTs) and can be patched.
You could be right. I am weirded out by the lack of a spare etc. I have "heard" the RFs can be patched. I guess we shall see if I ever need it whether that is only a theory
So I guess I will dip my toe in that stream if I need to replace a worn RF, and I find it cheaper to replace all four with normal tires.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tybeegirl
You could be right. I am weirded out by the lack of a spare etc. I have "heard" the RFs can be patched. I guess we shall see if I ever need it whether that is only a theory
So I guess I will dip my toe in that stream if I need to replace a worn RF, and I find it cheaper to replace all four with normal tires.
certain RFTs can be patched. Well I guess it depends on where you take it. Any chain will have a list of brands than can and can't be patched.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
I had to have one of my tires repaired a couple of months ago. There was a very large nail dead in the center of the tread and I drove directly to the tire shop after realizing the low tire pressure warning was for real. The tire shop was not optimisitc about saving the tire, but this turned out to the perfect scenario for a repairable runflat. The all season runflats may not provide the best ride or best grip, but I appreciated not having to wait for a tow in a dodgy part of Oakland.

Another runflat also did its job a 3 or 4 years ago with a different car when I was driving to Reno. I was in the Sierras in freezing weather 70 miles from my house late at night when the tire warning first came on. I was able to nurse the tire all the way there by stopping for air refills a couple of times. The tire was destroyed but again, I was not stranded on the side of the road with a car load of stuff, another human, and a dog.

I'm not a fan of the runflats due to their rough ride characteristic, but the fact is they saved me from having to change a tire on the side of the road twice. Until now, I always replaced runflats with conventional tires. I wish I had the option of a real spare tire, but after 6 years driving with the darn things I am starting to see the positive aspects of runflats when things go wrong.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 AM
MCJoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jimbo
They maybe be All Season tires but they are still run flats!
So, you're saying the all weather tires are also run flats? That wasn't my understanding.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:22 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
So, you're saying the all weather tires are also run flats? That wasn't my understanding.
The CM only comes with run flats. You have the choice between summer and all season rubber but they are all run flats.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At one time the configurator allowed an option for all season tires on R56 Models instead of run flats if u went with 15" wheels, but as was said above your limited to run flats (performance or all season) on the CM.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
I believe there are a couple OEM they use, but all are RFTs. This is what mine came with.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
When I went to replace them locally, they were $250 each

Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FredoinSF
I had to have one of my tires repaired a couple of months ago. There was a very large nail dead in the center of the tread and I drove directly to the tire shop after realizing the low tire pressure warning was for real. The tire shop was not optimisitc about saving the tire, but this turned out to the perfect scenario for a repairable runflat. The all season runflats may not provide the best ride or best grip, but I appreciated not having to wait for a tow in a dodgy part of Oakland.
There are parts of Oakland that aren't dodgy?

Quick Reply: R60 4,200 miles and still smiling...