1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:07 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by I_Forge_KC
There are plenty of us, myself included, who use catless DPs but leave the secondary cat in place. You can also run rally-style rear cats.
i get all that but most don’t preserve their cats. I’m not an environmentalist or itching for a scrap, but I find totally cat-free exhausts irresponsible.Sorry if I painted over top of you with my wide brush.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:29 AM
MomokoTheR60
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eric.stewart
Yup. Let’s add a bit of non catalyzed exhaust to the air. Not a fan, there are other ways to improve performance and exhaust sound without willfully causing pollution.
Where I live is nothing but mostly plains and has no emissions testing or inspections. Also there might be other ways to make more power aside from removing cats, but exhaust mods are by far the most beneficial power bump with a tune, and the few cars that delete their cats and straight pipe their cars realistically don't contribute nearly the amount of pollution that you would make it seem they do.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:19 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MomokoTheR60
Where I live is nothing but mostly plains and has no emissions testing or inspections. Also there might be other ways to make more power aside from removing cats, but exhaust mods are by far the most beneficial power bump with a tune, and the few cars that delete their cats and straight pipe their cars realistically don't contribute nearly the amount of pollution that you would make it seem they do.
So the fact that there is no enforcement means that it's OK? I don't buy that argument. Furthermore, the increase in horsepower is negligible (relatively speaking) though granted it does sound better. I converted to high-flow cats on my TT (which sees a lot of track duty) with a low restriction exhaust and it sounds better without the negative effects on the environment. This is a good and balanced article which weighs some of the pros and cons of removing cats:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wha...-you-need-one/

I am hardly an activist and honestly I'm not really interested in a protracted debate. I choose to tread lightly where I have choices to make regards the environment. If I was a real activist I'd probably choose not to drive at all (don't get me started on the false benefits of electric vehicles to the environment!) I'm a motorhead and I will only be truly happy when my right foot is connected to an ICE.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:28 PM
MomokoTheR60
Banned
Originally Posted by eric.stewart
So the fact that there is no enforcement means that it's OK? I don't buy that argument. Furthermore, the increase in horsepower is negligible (relatively speaking) though granted it does sound better. I converted to high-flow cats on my TT (which sees a lot of track duty) with a low restriction exhaust and it sounds better without the negative effects on the environment. This is a good and balanced article which weighs some of the pros and cons of removing cats:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wha...-you-need-one/

I am hardly an activist and honestly I'm not really interested in a protracted debate. I choose to tread lightly where I have choices to make regards the environment. If I was a real activist I'd probably choose not to drive at all (don't get me started on the false benefits of electric vehicles to the environment!) I'm a motorhead and I will only be truly happy when my right foot is connected to an ICE.
I am well aware of the benefits of cats don't get me wrong, and I agree I'm not interested in a debate either, however if I have the freedom based on my location to choose between spending around $800 for a 100 cell performance catted downpipe vs $250-$300 for a catless downpipe, you better believe I'm going to save around $500 bucks on an aftermarket downpipe. True that cats do block some harmful chemicals from getting into the atmosphere, but I've also blown up cats on stock power via daily driving and the cost-effectiveness of replacing a cat in a state that does not require them (hell here its literally passable even by cops standards to strap a flashlight to the front of your vehicle as a replacement headlight) simply isn't there for me personally. Also I believe in letting turbocharged cars have more breathability so as to help lengthen the life of the turbo by making it not have to work so hard to spool and push out exhaust gases faster and easier. I'd rather spend $300 on a more free-flowing downpipe than an upwards of $1200 on a replacement turbo, but that's just me really. Again not trying to create a debate by any means but that's my outlook on the situation. Obviously if your state has emissions I would definitely say dont go de-catted, but my location is the equivalent of a barren wasteland for the most part (Wyoming) so the government just doesn't see the need for emissions testing or inspections in a state where you can drive 15 minutes out of town and just fire off whatever weapons you have as long as you're in the county area.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:06 PM
OSilvera
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
This was Thursday... Intercooler and Hella Horns, and Yesterday Front Mudflaps

I finally got the broken mounting tab fixed on the Helix intercooler on Wednesday by Rob at Florida Performance Exhaust, Installed the intercooler at home on Thursday morning along with the Hella horns.
Then got the NM stainless steel brake lines installed by Luis at Precision Auto Werks on Friday morning and did the front mud flaps on Saturday.
All these things are still cheaper than getting a new car and it makes me like the car a little bit more with these little upgrades that I get to enjoy a little bit at a time.

Did a quick phone video of the Hella horn install and posted it yesterday.

The following 2 users liked this post by OSilvera:
AWD_Rally (10-12-2019), SunBird (12-22-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Charles Kim
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sway Bar and Skid Plate

Had the following M7 parts installed on our 2012 Cooper S Countryman R60: 22 mm rear sway bar and aluminum skid plate.

The handling is noticeably better (car felt stable doing 65+ through a sweeper marked 45).

The skid plate adds a sense of security (for the motor and my wallet) as my kids have a tendency to drive too fast on dirt roads when visiting their friends.

The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Kim:
AWD_Rally (10-12-2019), OSilvera (10-12-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:00 PM
Charles Kim
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got one of these for my R60 Countryman. Well worth the money. Fits perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
AWD_Rally (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 PM
OSilvera
2nd Gear
Had the brakes pads done yesterday. Bought the sensors but was told my sensors were still perfectly fine. I'll keep them for the next 50K miles when I check them/change them. Got the EBC Reds, spent 30 minutes bedding them and drove 60 miles before stopping at home for the night. the difference from the moment I left the shop till after the bedding work yesterday was noticeable, even though there still is plenty of bedding to do, but at least I feel better if I had to stomp on the brakes all of a sudden., Thanks Precision Auto Werks!

Today completed installing the rear mudflaps, and changed out the Cabin Air filter. 60 second job on that cabin filter..!

The Rear mudflaps took a while.

Next week....JCW Turbo....

Old 10-14-2019, 07:41 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Changed the brakes pads on my MINI for the first time, everything feels a little better now.

Working on finishing my exhaust soon. Really trying to quiet it down, a 3" system makes a ton of noise.

This week I'll be relocating a couple things week to finish the box for my custom turbo intake. Finally! Been waiting to do this for about 3 years.

The following 2 users liked this post by AWD_Rally:
eric.stewart (10-14-2019), OSilvera (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 AM
OSilvera
2nd Gear
Map Update Attempt 2016 R60S

last night I purchased the road map North America 2019 MOVE update from unlock Bimmer along with the FSC code

Total 59.99
I downloaded the 3.6 GB file unzipped it in a late 2008 Macbook Pro, ended up being just over 11gb when unzipped. opened it up and transfered the contents to a 16GB USB flash drive.

Went out to the car plugged it in the USB input that's in the glove compartment and the navigation screen asked if I wanted to start the update and I selected yes.
Then I got a screen that said "Storing navigation data in the car..." with a percentage progress bar at 0.0%
No progress was shown for approximately 15 minutes.
then I got a page that said
Navigation not available please reinstall the USB with the file to continue the update.
Before I could do anything the navigation system and screen shut down and restarted to where you select Accept at the startup screen.
After I selected Accept it went to a screen saying "Starting navigation ( which I normally see whenever i start the car after a while of it being off). This screen stayed on for just over 5 minutes in perpetual start up mode...and then I got the same screen that I had seen before saying navigation not available please reinsert the USB to continue the update.
I waited for 5 minutes to see if the screen would restart as it did before.
It did not so I pulled the USB flash drive from the car restarted the car and the navigation system turned on as normal and the version was still the same 2016 version map so I reinserted the USB it immediately went to the screen that says storing navigation data in the car... And that's where I am now 0% on the progress screen will update soon.

At no point have I been asked for the FSC number that might have been inputted earlier in the car's life which in turn would have the car store that number and not need it again for future updates

Update 1 hour later....
I emailed the contact email at Unlock-Bimmer and got a response saying that maybe I had a corrupt file and to start again with a fresh download and different flash drive.

My flashdrive was a new 16gb, but went ahead and re downloaded the zip file, opened it, and now transferring the files to a brand new out of the wrapping 32gb sandisk flash drive.

17 minutes left on the file transfer of 11+ GB Then will immediately start the process again.

Let's see what happens this time...

Update 2.. I put the 32 gig flash drive in the USB slot inside the glove compartment and after about one minute the page that said navigation not available ....changed to the familiar "Storing navigation data in the car...." page which is still....10 minutes later at 0%

Update 3.
Several hours later....
Currently at 3%. It's running at about 1% per hour I guess I'll update after Halloween if the update went through..

I've turned off the car and turned it on a couple of times when the screen update page switched to the restart page that I had gotten earlier

Each time that happens the progress has moved up half a percent or so.

I'm wondering where in the car it would store 11 gigs worth of space or does it selectively remove an old file and replace it with an updated one?

I had an old Garmin that I bought lifetime updates for the maps and it stopped being able to accept new updates because it physically could not store the information inside.
I have noticed the map colors and detail is a little different whenever it does come back up so things are changing. Even at that low progress percentage.

Success!!!!
I was wondering whether the physical size of the small 32 gig flash drive was impeding or bottlenecking the file transfer so I transferred everything over to a much larger in size 32 gig flash drive that had a little light that would show whether the files were being transferred or not and I plugged it in this morning on my way to work ....within 35 minutes it was at 100% everything restarted and now the maps seem to be updated to 2019 I'll wait a few days for the final review to make sure everything is working well. But so far $60 is not a bad price to pay for the small headache I went through updating the thing myself when the dealership told me it could not be done that way.

A few days later..
It's Friday and all is well, Navigation responds well. Saved $180 over what it would have cost at the Dealer. I will say it was nerve racking for a minute there.. I noticed on my credit card receipt that the charge for the Maps and the FSC code were charged by Bimmer code, same as the Bimmer code app purchase.. So I feel a bit better about the purchase and any customer support I may have needed.

Ozzie

Last edited by OSilvera; 10-25-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Updates...
Old 10-26-2019, 09:43 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by OSilvera

last night I purchased the road map North America 2019 MOVE update from unlock Bimmer along with the FSC code

Total 59.99
I downloaded the 3.6 GB file unzipped it in a late 2008 Macbook Pro, ended up being just over 11gb when unzipped. opened it up and transfered the contents to a 16GB USB flash drive.

Went out to the car plugged it in the USB input that's in the glove compartment and the navigation screen asked if I wanted to start the update and I selected yes.
Then I got a screen that said "Storing navigation data in the car..." with a percentage progress bar at 0.0%
No progress was shown for approximately 15 minutes.
then I got a page that said
Navigation not available please reinstall the USB with the file to continue the update.
Before I could do anything the navigation system and screen shut down and restarted to where you select Accept at the startup screen.
After I selected Accept it went to a screen saying "Starting navigation ( which I normally see whenever i start the car after a while of it being off). This screen stayed on for just over 5 minutes in perpetual start up mode...and then I got the same screen that I had seen before saying navigation not available please reinsert the USB to continue the update.
I waited for 5 minutes to see if the screen would restart as it did before.
It did not so I pulled the USB flash drive from the car restarted the car and the navigation system turned on as normal and the version was still the same 2016 version map so I reinserted the USB it immediately went to the screen that says storing navigation data in the car... And that's where I am now 0% on the progress screen will update soon.

At no point have I been asked for the FSC number that might have been inputted earlier in the car's life which in turn would have the car store that number and not need it again for future updates

Update 1 hour later....
I emailed the contact email at Unlock-Bimmer and got a response saying that maybe I had a corrupt file and to start again with a fresh download and different flash drive.

My flashdrive was a new 16gb, but went ahead and re downloaded the zip file, opened it, and now transferring the files to a brand new out of the wrapping 32gb sandisk flash drive.

17 minutes left on the file transfer of 11+ GB Then will immediately start the process again.

Let's see what happens this time...

Update 2.. I put the 32 gig flash drive in the USB slot inside the glove compartment and after about one minute the page that said navigation not available ....changed to the familiar "Storing navigation data in the car...." page which is still....10 minutes later at 0%

Update 3.
Several hours later....
Currently at 3%. It's running at about 1% per hour I guess I'll update after Halloween if the update went through..

I've turned off the car and turned it on a couple of times when the screen update page switched to the restart page that I had gotten earlier

Each time that happens the progress has moved up half a percent or so.

I'm wondering where in the car it would store 11 gigs worth of space or does it selectively remove an old file and replace it with an updated one?

I had an old Garmin that I bought lifetime updates for the maps and it stopped being able to accept new updates because it physically could not store the information inside.
I have noticed the map colors and detail is a little different whenever it does come back up so things are changing. Even at that low progress percentage.

Success!!!!
I was wondering whether the physical size of the small 32 gig flash drive was impeding or bottlenecking the file transfer so I transferred everything over to a much larger in size 32 gig flash drive that had a little light that would show whether the files were being transferred or not and I plugged it in this morning on my way to work ....within 35 minutes it was at 100% everything restarted and now the maps seem to be updated to 2019 I'll wait a few days for the final review to make sure everything is working well. But so far $60 is not a bad price to pay for the small headache I went through updating the thing myself when the dealership told me it could not be done that way.

A few days later..
It's Friday and all is well, Navigation responds well. Saved $180 over what it would have cost at the Dealer. I will say it was nerve racking for a minute there.. I noticed on my credit card receipt that the charge for the Maps and the FSC code were charged by Bimmer code, same as the Bimmer code app purchase.. So I feel a bit better about the purchase and any customer support I may have needed.

Ozzie
Nice!

OSilvera (10-29-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 03:50 AM
Neil555
1st Gear
Awesome spoiler; i have an identical JCW R60 and considering rear spoiler. Where did you source yours. Cheers.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:20 AM
AWD_Rally

A little off topic...

If there are any military service veterans on NAM, we'd love to recognize you with a neat little "flag" on your user profile. See mine above for an example.

If you would like to be recognized, please PM me directly with the following:
  1. Military branch you served with
  2. Years you served
  3. Last unit and rank

Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 PM
OSilvera
2nd Gear
Had Luis at PAW in Miami install a JCW Turbo on Monday...I bought the JCW used about 6 weeks ago, finally installed it.. Feels a wee bit punchy--er but next comes the Stage 2 on the ECU with Mario in CA, hoping to get that done in the next 2 weeks.

Happy Holidays folks.
Ozzie

PS. Go See WAVES in Theatres.....!!

AWD_Rally (12-05-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 02:40 AM
havy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OSilvera
Had Luis at PAW in Miami install a JCW Turbo on Monday...I bought the JCW used about 6 weeks ago, finally installed it.. Feels a wee bit punchy--er but next comes the Stage 2 on the ECU with Mario in CA, hoping to get that done in the next 2 weeks.

Happy Holidays folks.
Ozzie

PS. Go See WAVES in Theatres.....!!
Congrats on your setup, if you live in florida, you have an awesome tuner in your back yard.I would ck with Lou at prototype-r. Awesome guy to deal with. I have a small project I'm doing to my JCW countryman that has taken me some time to get rolling. He has been an awesome help beyond what I contacted him to do and soon will be tuning once I'm through.
https://prototype-r.com/
I wish he lived in mt back yard to have been there hands on with me on my project but never the less he has been a great help on my build! And I would dare to say he knows these cars very well to say the least.
Good luck w your project.
havy

Old 12-06-2019, 05:18 PM
OSilvera
2nd Gear
Thanks for the heads up!
I asked Luis about them and he tells me they have been around a while and were known for their Manic tunes.. I'll reach out to see .

Old 12-06-2019, 05:29 PM
havy
1st Gear
Cheers,
I can asure you, you will not be disappointed.
👍
havy

Last edited by havy; 12-07-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
I sent piston #4 packing and looking for a new tenant for the engine bay

Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 AM
AWD_Rally

Holy moly! That's no fun. How'd that happen?

Are you going to build the engine up a bit now?

Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
I sent piston #4 packing and looking for a new tenant for the engine bay

Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally

Sad part wasn't on a track or bombing through the twisties. I was just merging on to the highway at barely 3k rpm and boom no mas #4.

Yes, I'm looking at different options

AWD_Rally (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Dragonzsoul
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I was gifted this by a friend selling his car. I love this steering wheel!

https://preview.redd.it/yy5cxkfl8r14...=webp&3d19f74b

Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear

here’s what’s in it nowJCW Front Lip

New All4 system installed courtesy on NYCDOT

New Steering Rack and Pinon courtesy on NYCDOT

Full Manic Stage 2

43/56 Hybrid Turbo (may need to be replaced)

Oil Catch Can with single stage filter

Pipercross Foam Air Filter

NGK 1422 Sparkplugs

Amp Uprated Coils

Forge Hot Side Boost Tube

Forge Clone FMIC

2.5” Milltek Catless Downpipe

2.5” Scorpion Flex Pipe

2.5” in/out Vibrant Resonator

2.5” Scorpion rear Pipe

2.5” Magnaflow Y Pipe

2.5” Magnaflow Straight Through Muffler

2.5” Badlandz Dump Valve w/ switch wired to the front

2.5” to 4” CF Exhaust Tips

BC Racing Coilovers with Swift Springs

EBC Yellow Brake Pads Front and Rear

EBC Rotors Front

OEM Rotors Rear

AWD_Rally (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 08:43 AM
AWD_Rally

Very nice! Dang, an entire new AWD system?

I wonder if switching to the RPM tune will help in the future.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:05 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Very nice! Dang, an entire new AWD system?

I wonder if switching to the RPM tune will help in the future.
there’s like 8 other things that are not on that list.

just the rear electric diff and new axels for the All4. Mess up part is the car still ran fine without the All4 but you can feel the difference on launch.

as for the RPM tune. It was the Wrist Pin that failed so next engine (if wife sees the light) will have forged internals. (I’m looking at you Sneed4Speed)

-Front Sway Bar M7
-Rear Sway Bar 22mm M7
-ECS Steel Braided Brake Lines
-Forge Turbo intake modded for the sensors
-Megan Rear LCA
-Megan Strut Tower Brace

Last edited by MannyJimenez; 12-14-2019 at 07:15 AM.
AWD_Rally (12-14-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 02:41 PM
geekd4d
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I replaced my rear drivers side caliper today on my 2012 mcs when it was -1 out..
i still can't feel my fingertips.

Quick Reply: R60 What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?