1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 If you could hit do over, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM
RVExotics
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you could hit do over, would you?

This weekend I went to my nearest MINI dealership and test drove a Countryman S. I know I want to get a MINI and I ended up paying a deposit on and submitting an order for a 2013 MCS, but in the ensuing days since Saturday I've been strongly considering changing the order to a Countryman. My family consists of 3 adults so the MCS is a bit cramped if we all want to go somewhere in it. Specced similarly, the price is within $1k on both cars. I must say I was skeptical when I test drove the CM, but was very pleasantly surprised at its ride quality and handling.

So I've lurked here on this forum for a few weeks now and thus my qaundry exists. It seems like everyone (ok not literally everyone...) has problems with their CM's. I'll be leasing and I have other vehicles at my disposal so reliability isn't as huge of a concern for me as it might be for other people, but still, I don't want to knowingly go into a vehicle that is bound to strand me or require frequent trips to the dealer. My luck it would be at the worst times.

So I come to my question: for those of you who've bought or leased a CM, CMS, or CMS4, would you do it again if you could hit the do over button?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM
imaginager
Neutral
I'm only entering my third month of ownership. Mine (2012 CMS) had a dash rattle that the dealer traced to the steering rack. Replaced, rattle gone. Had a CMS ALL4 loaner while it was being repaired. All on MINI. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RVExotics
This weekend I went to my nearest MINI dealership and test drove a Countryman S. I know I want to get a MINI and I ended up paying a deposit on and submitting an order for a 2013 MCS, but in the ensuing days since Saturday I've been strongly considering changing the order to a Countryman. My family consists of 3 adults so the MCS is a bit cramped if we all want to go somewhere in it. Specced similarly, the price is within $1k on both cars. I must say I was skeptical when I test drove the CM, but was very pleasantly surprised at its ride quality and handling.

So I've lurked here on this forum for a few weeks now and thus my qaundry exists. It seems like everyone (ok not literally everyone...) has problems with their CM's. I'll be leasing and I have other vehicles at my disposal so reliability isn't as huge of a concern for me as it might be for other people, but still, I don't want to knowingly go into a vehicle that is bound to strand me or require frequent trips to the dealer. My luck it would be at the worst times.

So I come to my question: for those of you who've bought or leased a CM, CMS, or CMS4, would you do it again if you could hit the do over button?

I would most likely buy another (2nd MINI, first was a cabrio and decided I needed the 4dr functionality) except this time I would go ahead and get the NAV. I normally hate built in NAV, but with connected you have 2 functions that don't work without the NAV. It bugs me having technology I can't use because of my own choice

Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i bought a cms all4 and my dad liked it so much he bought a used (demo) cms all4 2 weeks later

between us we have over 10k miles in 5 months with ZERO problems

mine 03/2012 build 2012 cms all4 manual

dad's 09/2011 build 2012 cms all4 auto

i would get another cm with no doubts, would not even consider any other mini .... 4 door is a must, awd is a must

scott

Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
If I could do it over again with the knowledge I have now, I might have waited for the 2 door version since this past winter was pretty mild (could have done fine on ski trips with our R53 or R55). I don't regret it by any means. It's nearly as fun as the other MINIs and has been great in the 11 months I've had it.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM
MSPRO
3rd Gear
I bought my '11 CM just about a year ago now and loved it. Three months ago the opportunity came up and I sold it for a '12 CMS All4 and haven't looked back. When talking about if we would do it again the only thing we would have done differently is go with the CMS All4 the first time around, but it was a huge learning experience. That being said, my husband loved my CM so much he has a '12 R56 Hardtop and loves it. After owning 6 Subarus and swearing we would always own them, we have now become a 2 MINI family.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...would you do it again if you could hit the do over button?
You've asked a good question. I'll respond thinking about the latest CMs rather than the first released models, like mine.

If my CM4 were disappeared and I were considering a replacement, I wouldn't hesitate to get another CM4 just like the one I have now, but expecting that clutch behavior has been improved. I love the adaptive xenons, ALL4, climate control, 4 buckets, manual transmission, bluetooth.

I'd double check to see if lumbar support has become available with leatherette seats, because I would have liked that.

MINI Connected has apparently gotten most of its act together, so I'd probably consider that option more seriously this time.

I was close to facing this decision early on when one corner was whacked off during a collision with an Odyssey. Fenton wasn't totalled, so I was able to continue on with the fixed CM4 - this car is incredibly strong, just as it feels. So, you might say I've already done it again.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM
MINImal lag
3rd Gear
Have you considered a Clubman-S ? The extra length and 3rd door might serve you well
and give you a lighter, faster, better handling car than the Countryman.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
I had the first Clubman S in Arizona. I loved it but sold it to buy the 2012 CM ALL4S and a 2012 cabrio S.
I wasn't that crazy about the Clubman's handling in going over Jerome, AZ. It skipped a lot on the turns if I hit any gravel and it just seemed to have less control over the CM.
I was on a MINI event over Jerome in June with the CM and I felt it handled a lot better on the constant curves of the road. Maybe the extra weight helped, but for me it was much more of a pleasure to drive.

Also, the extra room in the back seats with the 4 doors makes it an easy car for me to take my mom and sister in. The Clubman was difficult for my sister with hip replacements to get into the back.

I'll always love the Clubman, but the CM has not disappointed. Of course, it only has 800 miles on it although I have had it since January as the cabrio keeps winning out if the sun is shining.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
Whew, thanks for all the quick replies! And it's awesome to see lots of people not citing this or that problem with their CM. I did consider the Clubman, but for my purposes the CM would work better if I'm going to go with a 'bigger' MINI. If not, then I have a really nice build put together on a MCS but I'm really thinking the CM will be the way to go.

Thanks again!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Tacoman03
3rd Gear
Have had our Justa since last March, no problems and have no issues with the power in the Justa. Will say that I plan on looking at the 2 door Paceman when it becomes available.....

Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
So I've lurked here on this forum for a few weeks now and thus my qaundry exists. It seems like everyone (ok not literally everyone...) has problems with their CM's.
Forums tend to be a hyper-concentration of problems, it is the nature of the medium, but not necessarily the experience one would have for ownership.

Even if you take a problem where someone had to go to the dealer 2-3 times to have fixed, I image the rest of their ownership has been pleasant. There is bad design, bad manufacturing, and equipment failures for all vehicles, and if you pick any car and go to a dedicated forum, you will start to doubt your perception of that car.

If i had to do it over I would do the same thing again, exactly.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 AM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
If you have other cars and since this vehicle is gonna be a lease I'd stick with the MCS. Don't get me wrong I love my CM. But as a former MINI Cabrio owner it's not the same. I'm glad I had the experience of owning my lil MINI. They drive and feel different. Sometimes I miss that feel of zipping in and out...bobbing and weaving down the road. That being said I did buy the CM and I love it. It's different feels alil more substantial. I like being elevated and the size is perfect. Went on a trip with 3 adults comfortably. Something I couldn't do in the Cabrio...I think it's backseat area has less leg room then the hardtop.

One day I hope to be one of those people that can afford to own 2 or more cars. When that happens ill be getting another lil MINI.

Eek tough decision!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Zazoh
Forums tend to be a hyper-concentration of problems, it is the nature of the medium, but not necessarily the experience one would have for ownership.
Exactly. Forum posts are usually from two types of owners; those with problems or questions about how to operate the car, and gear-heads (like myself) who just like to waste time reading and posting about their cars. As such, getting an accurate idea from a forum on how the majority of owners like their cars is really difficult.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM
qrysdonnell
3rd Gear
Yeah, Internet forums are dangerous. The worst thing is to look to the Internet for medical advice. There's a worst-case scenario for every minor ailment.

From what I've seen on the forums, it seems like there were more problems when the Countryman was brand new and that everything seems to be at a normal level in the 2012s, and I'd expect a late model 2012/early 2013 to be pretty reliable. (My own order has been produced, but it's waiting on a boat, so I can't say how my own experience has been. I am second guessing the custom order process, as the waiting is driving me crazy!!!)

Of course you'll find horror stories here, but horror stories happen with anything and the Internet has that special kind of magic where you can aggregate them all together.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2012 CM All4 has been completely bullet proof and has never been back to the dealer. It has 11,500 miles on it.

I do have concerns over the clutch longevity, and MINI went cheap on some interior materials. If it were to go away today, I don't know if I would get another one.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM
RVExotics
5th Gear
Thank you for the continued replies. I know that car forums tend to be concentration points for people to complain, which is why I made this post.

Oh and Sunny, it's the s/o who's 'encouraging' me to go for the CM over the MCS. We all have leased cars and it would be nice to spread out the mileage a little meaning that we all need to drive a vehicle that is comfortable for adults in the rear. For myself, I don't mind driving comfortable, but it must be enjoyable. And I think the CMS may fit that bill.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
razz
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2400 miles and 2 months on my R60 and it has been flawless. Although I do miss my old R53 at times (for its sportier handling and spirit), for my purposes (hauling dogs, stuff, and people on occasion), I would have chosen it again in a do-over. My only regret is not getting the xenons.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 AM
SmithWerks
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3 mos. in & 3K later Im still pretty happy.
What would I have done differently?
- Had the dealer do the Tint & Clear Bra. (the quotes independent shops are giving me is ridic!)
- Got the BT option(which is now standard on 13' models)
- possibly upgraded to the leather seats. (these are slightly softer & wider, but they most importantly feature the lumbar adjust).
- I like the look of the buckets better as well. Just kinda cooler IMO

Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
If I could do-over:
Waited for the 2 door!

But if I had to do the 4 door over again...
Rear buckets

Things I would "look in to more deeply"
-Auto climate (though very happy with the manual and haven't had any problems, I usually don't like auto climate but everyone here raves about it so I'd give it a second thought)
-Auto sensing wipers (not sure if those act more intermittent then the standard but really upset there are only two settings for wipers. It's either fast or faster. Not really great for light rain/misty weather)

Honestly that's about it. Overall I'm very happy with my ALL4! I got it close to base (with blacked out xenons) and used the savings for looks (JCW kit, stripes, exhaust) and couldn't be happier. Now if I only waited for that 2 door!! Looks like this will be a short owning of a car. Hahaha

Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sn0wcrash
...Rear buckets
...Auto climate
...Auto sensing wipers
All good choices!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Kimsc321
3rd Gear
just turned over 30,000miles, 15month old 2011 Countryman S. During the 15 months, she ran over a tractor trailer exploded tire ($800 repair job) and ran into a deer on the front right side ($3500 repair job) but, she is still running strong. Just a routine maintenance (dealer oil change 12000miles but, I do change the oil myself at 6000) and cooling sensor recall. Love my Panda!!! Yes, I'll do it again in a heart beat but, next time I want xenon, nav and bench-seat!!

Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM
antirich
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are people's overall opinions on the sunroof?

I like the idea of a giant double sunroof, but I don't like the idea of added interior noise at its expense. I would imagine it's be deafining in a heavy downpour.

I was thinking of maybe getting the sunroof shade material upgraded at a local interior shop. The plugs are a good idea, but don't look very good and seem to be a pain to deal with.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM
qrysdonnell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by antirich
What are people's overall opinions on the sunroof?

I like the idea of a giant double sunroof, but I don't like the idea of added interior noise at its expense. I would imagine it's be deafining in a heavy downpour.

I was thinking of maybe getting the sunroof shade material upgraded at a local interior shop. The plugs are a good idea, but don't look very good and seem to be a pain to deal with.
When my wife and I did our test drive we both drove, so I got my turn sitting in the back and I thought that the sunroof really opened up the back and we ended up getting it.

Most of the complaints I see here about it is that it lets too much light in even with the shade and that people generally tint it to work with that. I haven't seen too much complaining about the noise, a few complaints about rattles and such - but it doesn't seem to be something too common.

My car isn't actually here yet, so I can't actually provide my own assessment for a few more weeks.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
RVExotics
5th Gear
I decided to go for it. Placed the order today for a 2012 Countryman S:
-Light White w/White Roof
-Tech package
-Xenons w/Black Headlamp Housings
-Active Headlights
-Rain sensing wipers
-Heated seats
-Anthracite Headliner
-Rear Arm Rest

My SA tells me it should be an October delivery. I'm excited! Now I just need to find a buyer for my Bimmer!

Quick Reply: R60 If you could hit do over, would you?